cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel Trailer weight vs vehicle hauling

jkrhouse
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2014 Ford Flex with the towing packing that allows us to tow up to 4500lbs. We are interested in purchasing Forest River Rockwood Mini Lite 2306 which says the UVW is 3890 and the GVWR says TBD. We are concerned with the weight and do want to over due it. We do not know much about hauling travel trailers and we also do not know how to determine how much we can tow. There are so many specifications such as GVWR and dry weight, etc. Can someone enlighten me please? We are interested in a travel trailer (no canvas) that has bunks and a queen size bed. Like I stated earlier, we really like the model mentioned above. We will be travel within our state (no mountains) and will mostly be doing long weekend trips. There will be 4 people and a dog in our vehicle. We want the most bang for our buck. Thanks for taking the time read this. I would appreciate any feedback.:)
36 REPLIES 36

pkjorlie
Explorer
Explorer
A little late getting in on this, but by comparison, I tow a 3000# Jayco 20' Hawk with a Jeep Liberty rated at 5000# Tow. It's a stiff haul, with wind resistance and other gear but I do need (I think) to get a WD hitch to help balance the load. Curb weight of the Jeep is 3900+# (5600# GVWR)and I wouldn't want to tow a TT bigger than that.
By contrast, I can tow my compact tractor on a flatbed at about 4000# trailer weight with my Jeep and it feels like there's hardly anything behind me.

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Try the Winnebago Micro Minnie's or the Winnie Drop
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
I just walked through that Apex model yesterday. It seemed like a nice unit. However, I also walked through the Rpods, and although they are really tight, I believe them to be better suited for your Flex. They have much less frontal area.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
No one that I know of travels with full tanks! I only travel with 8 gallons of fresh water and empty grey/black tanks.

And why I said people normally don't do that, but as someone else mentioned, people camp in places without hook ups or availability to water and or dump stations. When we camped at a place in the mountains that had no hookups, we went with a full 40 gallon fresh water tank plus another 12 gallons in containers. The campground did have water spigots, but we were not going to fully rely on them as we didn't know what their condition was (or if the water was safe). So, even on the way home, we still had between 50-60 gallons of liquid in the tanks (fresh/black/gray) until we could get to the dump station near home later on.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Terryallan wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
I didn't know what the flex was til I looked it up. The toaster model!
Yeah, full car plus a hard side TT is probably not in the cards. People have towed more with less, but that doesn't mean it's right.
On the downside, just the quick summary showed 16/23mpg rating. That is horrible for a little fart box car. You can get something big enough to pull a trailer that still gets that kind of mileage, or better.

you do know that the Flex is NOT a small car don't you? 23 MPG highway is pretty good for a vehicle that can carry 8 people. You do know it is sized and looks more like the "Station Wagon" of old that congress legislated out of existence.

And I don't know what you are towing with. But in reality. Few full sized trucks that can tow get 23 MPH. A new F150 with the 5.0 is rated for only 21, and that is with a rear gear that won't tow anything. Same for the Chevy. All the MPG rating are for high / non towing rear gears.

Sure, tow away with the Flex. It's totally preferable to those chintzy half ton tucks that are rated 2-3mpg less and can't tow a thing.....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
dodge guy wrote:
No one that I know of travels with full tanks! I only travel with 8 gallons of fresh water and empty grey/black tanks.

You musnt know any one outside of the fhu campgrounds you go to!
That's the beauty of a RV with tanks. When you go to the wilderness you can take your water with you and bring your sh!t home lol!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with others...you will be close to maximum weight including the adults and dogs, let alone anything else.

Look at the tanks (fresh, gray, and black). What are their sizes? Because you will probably travel with some sort of liquids in them at one point or another. Liquid weighs around 8lbs/gallon. Lets say you have a 20 gallon tank for each. That's 60 gallons or 480lbs. Hopefully you won't be traveling with all your tanks full. But lets say half full (or half empty). You are at almost 250 lbs right there just for that. Not everyone travels with liquids in their tanks. But many do. Depends on your camping and where you are going.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

tibbitts
Explorer
Explorer
Allworth wrote:
I've driven one that belongs to the company. Never again!

Why not?
2000 Chevy Silverado 1500 x-cab V8 5.3L

jkrhouse
Explorer
Explorer
Boy oh boy you ask a question and you sure get a lot of opinions don't you?? Just want some advise so that we don't over do it and we purchase a TT that we will be safe towing. I love my flex 🙂

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've driven one that belongs to the company. Never again!
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Allworth wrote:
Not small; just not a competent tow vehicle.

It is just like every tow vehicle made. It is good as long as you stay inside the design capacities. There are tens of thousands of minivans, Flex, Escapes, Equinoxes, and even regular 4cly sedans Towing all kinds of trailers, and RVs that are the right weight for their ratings.

And just like every TV made be it a Flex or a F450. If you go over their ratings. They are not competent.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Allworth wrote:

Do you have first hand knowledge of this? or are you just going by what the internet says?!!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"