cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ugh....Swaying?

copelj
Explorer
Explorer
So my TV is a 2013 Nissan Frontier, my TT is a 2015 Jayco 264BHW JAY FLIGHT SLX which is 29ft. My TV is good on the tow weight but can a TT be too long for a vehicle? I know the rule of thumb on wheelbase, but everyone I talk to that pulls trailers say that the length doesn't matter. I pulled it home yesterday and it had me shaking by the time I got home and a little while afterwards as well. The dealer said it is more likely my tires not being the right ply. I have the WD hitch and sway bar installed, but still way too nervous. Any suggestions?
34 REPLIES 34

copelj
Explorer
Explorer
That's the 26BH....according to the dealer website it is what I posted. It is the exact same layout though.

kmbelt
Explorer
Explorer
Pauljdav wrote:
Unloaded Vehicle Weight (lbs) 4,365
Dry Hitch Weight (lbs) 485
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (lbs) 7,000
Cargo Carrying Capacity (lbs) 2,635

These are from Jayco website. You need to get this weighed as well. I bet you are a LOT heavier than you think you are.

Please tell me where this information came from. I'm looking at the site and don"t see this model listed under floorplans.

jayco
2014 Ram 2500, 6.4 Hemi, CC, 4x4
2010 Puma 259RBSS

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Getting LT tires and making sure WD/SC hitch is dialed in properly for your set-up will help, unfortunately the towing combo is far from ideal and you will more than likely never realize the towing comfort and stability a stouter, more capable truck would provide. Pack lightly and just take your time getting to your campsites, it will be up to you if this towing scenario will work long-term.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
kmbelt wrote:
Not enough truck for that size trailer. You need more truck weight and more power. You are most likely maxing out your trucks capacity if not going over it.

Your truck is rated to tow a max of 6500lbs depending on configuration. This trailer will be pushing that limit loaded probably.

x2!!!:E

unless you want to pony up and buy a Hensley or ProPride WDH, even with LT tires, that's wayyy too much trailer for a short wheelbase v-6 truck.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Pauljdav
Explorer
Explorer
Unloaded Vehicle Weight (lbs) 4,365
Dry Hitch Weight (lbs) 485
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (lbs) 7,000
Cargo Carrying Capacity (lbs) 2,635

These are from Jayco website. You need to get this weighed as well. I bet you are a LOT heavier than you think you are.

Explorer II
Explorer II
copelj wrote:
Just thought I would throw this out there too, didn't mention what it actually was feeling like. It felt like my TV was swaying and not the TT....felt like I was being pushed into another lane and that I didn't have control of where I was actually going.
Not enough steer axle weight. The WDH needs adjusting.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Explorer II
Explorer II
It's ~4400# dry with a GVWR of 6500#. It is a little long though.
Don't give up yet. It's probably doable.

Get your WDH sorted out, air up your tires to max and PACK LIGHT.
Determine your tongue weight once packed and adjust accordingly. Pack more to the front if too light.

Go enjoy your new camper.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Pauljdav
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry to say but I agree with others. Your truck is too small. Your truck may be rated to tow 6500 pounds but that is in the best conditions (flat bed trailer or boat trailer)and RV travel trailers are not the best conditions. The wheels in a TT are further to the front than a boat trailer causing a lot more force for sway and the high walls creat a lot of force against the air and wind.

Also your TT is very long while your truck is short and light. I would at a minimum ensure you were fully set up but I would look for a full size truck.

Paul

copelj
Explorer
Explorer
Just thought I would throw this out there too, didn't mention what it actually was feeling like. It felt like my TV was swaying and not the TT....felt like I was being pushed into another lane and that I didn't have control of where I was actually going.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree that you need to find out your actual tongue weight it should be 12% of your loaded ready to travel weight. So approx. 5500lbs would be approx. 700lbs. Once you know where your tongue weight is at then you can setup the WD hitch for the loaded trailer.
It takes time and patience. Once it is dialed in you will notice a big difference. After you get it right, i might suggest ditching the friction sway bar and going to a Dual Cam sway control setup. It wod be much better for your truck and trailer.

Good luck!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

copelj
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the info. TT is rated at 4365 dry weight, so it is pushing the limit with gear, although I haven't put anything in the TV or TT. It was all set up by the TT dealer. I've called them, they told me that I needed different tires. One fellow told me it was because I was new to pulling (which I agree) but I would rather be comfortable with towing then scared sh*tless when towing. I will have to see who the manufacturer is for the WD hitch. Never got over 60MPH. Way too scared to go any faster. 🙂

Speedogomer
Explorer
Explorer
I see a dry weight of 4300lbs, so loaded approx 5500lbs. I wouldn't call that over your limit, but probably the max you'd want to tow.

Sway is often too little tongue weight, also the WDH may not be set up properly. Some brands of hitch have the option to put a friction sway bar on both sides. With the length and weight trailer you have, it may be beneficial.

New truck tires will help as well.
2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn, "Katy"
2014 Outback Terrain 260trs "Alice"
2011 French Bulldog Shelter adopted edition, "Roscoe"
1982 DW, "Rachel"
2016 DD "Harper", the newest lil camper.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
It can be a bit of work to get your tow set up right, and inexperience doesn't help. See if there is a local RV club, with someone who can drive it and appraise the feel. There are way too many things to adjust on the hitch alone (height, head angle, bar weight, bar tension) and issues with weight and balance on the trailer, there is some trial and error to get it set up right.

The TT dealer should have worked this out, but a tow can feel just fine to the guy who set it up and test drove it, yet be scary to a new driver. Don't go buying new tires for your truck until other things are sorted out, there just isn't that much difference in stiffness P tires vs LT tires in that small a size, when inflated the same.

But tongue weight could also be the problem, i.e. too much for your payload, and that would call for tires that can carry more, wheels that can handle the tires, and suspension mods. It may be simply that the dealer sold you too much trailer for the truck.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

kvangil
Explorer
Explorer
I tow with a Pathfinder, which is mechanically identical to your frontier, and I have to agree with kmbelt. I wouldn't tow anything bigger than 5000lb gross with the Pathfinder/Frontier platform.

Without knowing what WD/anti-sway hitch you have, it's hard to say if the hitch settings had anything to do with your sway, but I don't have any problems with my 5000lb, 24-foot trailer with the Pathfinder and Equal-I-zer hitch combo. I use the standard P tires as well, regular inflation. Some Frontier/Pathfinder owners who tow at the limit have recommended air bags in back to stiffen up the suspension, so you may give that a try.

Also how fast were you going? The faster you tow, the more likely to sway, especially if you don't have enough TV. I usually tow at 60-65mph on the interstate with my combo.
2004 Jayco X23b
2005 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4x4

Mvander
Explorer
Explorer
Your truck is a bit small for that size of TT, but it's what you got.

Check the tt tows level or slightly nose down.
Do you have enough tounge wt?
Is the wdh set up well. If the dealer did it then there's a good chance it's not. I have receintly had some friends who were "set-up" very poorly from the dealer resulting in a scary tow.
55 FEET OF FAMILY FUN!
2014 F150 HD
2015 Grey Wolf 29DSFB