cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Valve stems...do the go bad?

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Time (or past due) to replace tires that were made in 08. This is on class C. Talking with tire place, tire guy said I should put in new valve stems.

Please don't laugh... I'm really going to have a problem parting with my valve stems:)

When I got this class C I had all the problems with checking air pressure, inflating the tires, etc. Went with couple different systems, of course thay were all supposed to work. Finally spent some time with a tube bender and tweaking the stems just a little and after several trips to a tire "supply" shop (that tire stores buy their supplies from) I wound up with a valve stems that I can use any tire and in any tire position, and best of all no leaks and I can check pressure with wheel simulators on.

(No big secret...Shorty valve extenders on fronts, then a sharp U turn thing, on the rear a long extender that hays nut built in near valve core, and every tire has newer type gator caps, the ones you can thread on other extenders or whatever.) Valve stems are brass color (I assume they are brass, but never put a magnate to them)

So tire guy says I should replace valve stems when replacing tires. When I showed him what I had and it worked, he said I should still replace them "to be safe".

(Talking with wife a dinner last night, she says maybe they get "dizzy" and should be replaced:) I think she was joking (I hope).

Here's the question...besides replacing the rubber gaskets on the stem near valve stem hole in the rim and maybe the valve cores (inside valve stems) what can go wrong? What am I missing? I've never heard of valve stem wearing out?
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"
14 REPLIES 14

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Yes....it wasn't clearly stated that the OP had metal stems, but if you read his entire post, it was pretty obvious. In my younger days, I mounted tires for a living. Metal stems don't go bad unless they're struck by a hard object but the rubber slide on seal at their base does over time. I would replace the rubber seals and then check carefully with soapy water after the new tires are installed. They use a nut and washer and often are over tightened by Gorilla employees or under tightened. Typically when most tire stores change tires, the valve core is removed and thrown into a pile with others and then reused later. Most stores wont stock just cores. If you want new cores, they'll probably have to be removed from a new rubber stem.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Rvpapa
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
Maybe those responding well finally figure out that you have metal stems with a rubber seal that you've bent so that you can get to them.
OP you're not missing anything by replacing the rubber seals and core.

And you really want the responders to waste valuable time by reading the whole post ? :E
Art.

NewTTcamper
Explorer
Explorer
We had a valve stem go out on our truck which was loaded with our camper. LUCKILY it blew just few minutes after we took a break on the highway. The highway was a steep descent. Should that valve stem blown on that highway, I wouldn't be here to respond!

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
FrankShore wrote:
Yes, they do go bad. Get steel stems and be done with worrying!
Not really. I had one go bad. It was a bad rubber seal on it.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
djgarcia wrote:
FrankShore wrote:

X1, tires with steel stems loose minimal lbs. of air after being in storage for a month or so:)

x2 Then if you want to add a TPMS later, you'll have the right/required valve stems to do so.
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
FrankShore wrote:

X1, tires with steel stems loose minimal lbs. of air after being in storage for a month or so:)

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ok there are two types of valve stems,, Rubber like they normally use on car tires and metal (Brass or steel) like they use on truck tires and some flashy hot-rod type cars.

Rubber stems can go bad and leave you feeling a tad flat.. I have seen it happen several times

Metal stems can as well but.. Well .. Usually this indicates a defect in manufacture, damage or a bad washer. The washer can be easily replaced without replacing the entire item. (It can also indicate a loose nut.. Yes, in addition to loose screws many RVers have a few loose nuts.. Like the screws they are the kind you tighten with the proper tool, a wrench in this case)

But with metal stems.. If they were well made. they should outlast you.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
tell them you want the same set up thats on it,

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Maybe those responding well finally figure out that you have metal stems with a rubber seal that you've bent so that you can get to them.
OP you're not missing anything by replacing the rubber seals and core.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, valve stems go bad and they are a common reason for air leaks.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
If you replace rubber parts and cores you should be fine. Just be ready if the tire shop says that it will void any warranties if you don't let them replace the whole valve stem with new.

Valve stems certainly do wear out... I've had bad "cores", had the rubber stems just fall apart with age, had them crack, had rust / dirt cause leaks at their base, etc.

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
I would check around and see you can find stems that are already in the shape/length you need vs extensions. An extension while solving a problem is another potential point for a leak.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk bรฅt - Dette mรฅ jeg se!

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, valve stems can go bad. Conventional wisdom is to put new stems on when you get new tires regardless of whether it's a car, rv, trailer or whatever. Ask about what stems are available and also what extensionns are available to work with your class c.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption