cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart and other free camping

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
I am planning to cross the USA and Canada next summer. Instead of finding a campground each night, I am thinking of camping in parking lots.

So, Here are my questions:

1) When parking at Walmart or other commercial sites, can you unhook and drop the stabilizing jacks?

2) Can you camp at rest areas along highways?

3) Any other thoughts?
66 REPLIES 66

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jaxdad, there is always somebody with a good reason to use Walmart, or similar, for the occasional overnight. That is not the intention of the OP who seems to be planning a trip based on being able to Wallycamp to save money.

Nothing wrong with Wallycamping IMO for reasons such as you listed or simply an overnight in transit. A Wally stop, including some grocery shopping, is in my plans in a couple of days. Trips are not planned around the availability of a Walmart.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Spade_Cooley
Explorer
Explorer
I have used Walmart a few times in the past but it is used only in an emergency now. I recently used them in Bringham City, UT after blowing a tire on the interstate over Labor Day Weekend. All RV Parks were full up and I needed a tire put on the next day before I could continue.

I have found Walmart a place for teens to cruise and other machines to be used during the night. I never got much rest.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Veebyes wrote:
Not to sound too hard but if 'camping' at Walmart & such places is necessary to do the trip maybe you might want to look at your travel budget.

With ALL due respect, that's a 'catch all' statement that, well, doesn't catch all.

I just got back from a 4 day last minute trip to Dayton OH to help a stranded friend. I literally rushed out of town so fast I didn't have time to even load groceries into the coach. I stopped at a Wally World to shop and another m/h was parked next to me when I came out. The owner asked if I was staying the night and was it ok that they weren't too far away from me? When I mentioned that I was enroute and just getting some exercise and groceries the guy seemed rather disappointed.

It seems they had rushed into town to see a dying relative and there was no c/g's nearby so the local Wally World was the only close by choice.

They might only be there a night, they might be there several days.

It had nothing to do with their budget, it had everything to do with an entire family seeing a dying relative.

I have zero issues with that.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not to sound too hard but if 'camping' at Walmart & such places is necessary to do the trip maybe you might want to look at your travel budget.

We do Walmart, Cabelas, Bass Pro, Cracker Barrel etc. on occasion but only use them as an overnight in transit stop. The stop usually involves supporting that establishment in a monetary way also.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
4x4van wrote:
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
I never did get this "have to find a place to park" thing. You have a self contained unit; park it anywhere you want to park as long as it's legal to park there.

I've stayed anywhere it's legal to park. I've stayed at WM, at Lowes, at Cracker Barrel, at truck stops and more than likely a dozen other places. I've stayed along side of a road or on a street many, many, many times. I just make sure I'm legally parked and I go to sleep. It really is that simple................at least it is for me!
Most CA cities prohibit sleeping overnight in a vehicle, even if the vehicle is legally parked.

Guess I'll have to risk it. :B I only have about 15 to 20 RV years left anyway. Don't quite know how anybody will know if anybody is sleeping in an RV since they can't see through walls.

In any event, with Ca going to a sanctuary state you can pretty much sleep where you want any time you want. 😉
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
rjxj wrote:
If you are staying for a number of days move your rig around and change clothes so you dont look homeless.
If you're staying for a number of days, you are abusing Walmart's courtesy of allowing RVers to overnight. Find a campground.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
I never did get this "have to find a place to park" thing. You have a self contained unit; park it anywhere you want to park as long as it's legal to park there.

I've stayed anywhere it's legal to park. I've stayed at WM, at Lowes, at Cracker Barrel, at truck stops and more than likely a dozen other places. I've stayed along side of a road or on a street many, many, many times. I just make sure I'm legally parked and I go to sleep. It really is that simple................at least it is for me!
Most CA cities prohibit sleeping overnight in a vehicle, even if the vehicle is legally parked.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
jarata1 wrote:
ScottG wrote:
Not to sound harsh but if my only means of traveling the country were to have to stay in parking lots it just wouldn't be worth it for me. That just doesn't sound enjoyable to me.

+1

I'm on the road at zero-dark-thirty each morning and even in the best of the summer daylight I'm never off the road until way past dark.

Maybe it's just the considerate part of me but I would NEVER pull into a campground so late and then depart before dawn and disturb a park full of people on vacation, and paying for some R & R.

Not everyone who travels by RV is a retiree who can be off the road by 3pm and not need to head out before 10am.
Bingo! I don't want to pull in to a campground at 10 pm and disturb my neighbors- no matter how quiet I try to be. Only to wake them all up again at 6 am when I pull out on my way to my destination. If I'm traveling, I aim for rest stops, Wal-Mart, or truck stops because I know I won't bother anybody by pulling in late and leaving early. And I won't need or use any of the campground amenities.

At my destination, yes, I do unhook, set up camp, and thoroughly enjoy the area. Wal-Mart is just an easy stop on the way. They even have hot coffee ready to go in the morning. I pop in, buy a cuppa, and I'm on my way.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Lwiddis wrote:
"I overnighted in parking lots and rest areas coast to coast in both countries more times than I care to remember in the past 13 years. It has never been a problem"

Because it was completely legal or because you didn't get caught and cited?

Oh totally because he didn't get caught or cited.....sound like a real lawbreaker!! Lol
Sorry, know you were trying to start and argument, but you're just too funny....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
For us, and our comments include all of the above: In addition, we scope out our route, check out a couple of places where we may end up for the night. Whatever it may be, HD, Lowes, Cracker barell, Cabela's, etc. we call ahead, let them know we are traveling through, get permission on if we can and where they want us to park to avoid disturbance to others, then do it. We also are members of GS, Passport America and use them as well. Once we traveled into OK, just after a long hard day, we pulled into a small rv park about a half mile off the interstate, pulled up, plugged in, slept great, had breakfast dropped our $11 dollars in the envelope and on our way. So lots of options, just don't abuse any and you will be fine. Good Luck & Be Safe ! ! !

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thank you all for the kind words.

IMHO it's past due time that 'common sense' became more common, and 'good manners' are the rule, NOT the notable exception.

Sir, Ma'am, please and thank you don't take much time and certainly don't cost a penny.

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
When we 'camp' at Walmart or a rest stop, we park in a good spot, get in the camper and go to bed, sleep about 6-7 hours max, then wake up and get on the road again. We don't have time to drop stabilizers or extend slide outs. If we are staying a while, might as well stay at a campsite/campgrounds.
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
Wal-Mart is not free at least as far as I have wittnessed(ever seen my wife come back to the trailer?)
just sayin
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
When traveling to our destination we stay where ever we get tired. I refuse to pull in to a cg late and disturb everyone sleeping or pay $30 to sleep 5 or 6 hrs.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer

Same here..Lowes, HD, WM, Flying j, stayed at a Krogers once and a Rite Aid, church lot - whatever. No probs.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K