cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Warranty on Private Sale

GVJeeper
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a fulltimer and have a friend who wants to buy a used Class A or C but doesn't have a ton to spend thus will be getting a bit older rig. Can she get a warranty if she buys from a private party? If so, please let me know where.

Thanks
11 REPLIES 11

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Watch out for the difference between "failed" and "wore out". Some EW plans list expected life for appliances and such and will not pay if your item is older than "expected". Sometimes real short.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Not_a_Clue
Explorer
Explorer
GVJeeper wrote:
I'm a fulltimer and have a friend who wants to buy a used Class A or C but doesn't have a ton to spend thus will be getting a bit older rig. Can she get a warranty if she buys from a private party? If so, please let me know where.

Thanks

An Answer to your question is yes, a good place to start is here

Wholesale Warranties

Nice people to work with, as always be sure to read the fine print and know actually what you are getting, Extended Warranties are not all created equal....
Linda B.
Our Blog
2009 29' Fleetwood, Fiesta V10 - The Little Bus
2008 Saturn Vue (Toad)with US Gear UBS
& Demco baseplate and tow bar.
FMCA# F412985
Traveling with Robin(friend)& Buddee(cavalier)

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
in my experience as long as you look something over good and don't buy a disaster from the start any repairs can be had cheaper than any warranty that would cover them for the most part
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
As so many others have stated, it's buyer beware when purchasing an extended warranty. Nothing is more important than reading the fine print and understanding EXACTLY what is and isn't covered. Also just as important to fully understand the claim process.

Back when we bought our first DP, we were petrified of the possibilities for huge repair bills. We decided that for at least the first few years, an EW was something we wanted. After lots of research, we settled on an XTRA-RIDE PLATINUM policy. Not inexpensive by any means, but it covered everything we expected and they were a pleasure to deal with. We never did recover our premium in claims, but we did have a couple of repairs that were handled quickly and without question. e.g. They sent a tech to our campsite to replace a failed alternator.

EW is insurance, plain and simple. Getting one depends on your tolerance for risk and financial situation. If a repair costing a couple of thousand dollars will cripple you and leave your rig dead in your driveway, an EW may make sense. If you have your potential purchase thoroughly inspected by a competent mechanic, it comes down to your risk tolerance. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've purchased one used vehicle warranty in my life and would never do it again. After trying to get one issue covered I quickly canceled the policy and fixed it myself. I'll never purchase another one or recommend them to anyone else.

I would recommend a thorough inspection of the unit by someone that knows what they're looking at. She'll run into issues no matter what, but the key is to mitigate any major problems that can be avoided.
2000 KZ Sportsman 2505 (overhauled & upgraded 2014)
2016 Chevy Express 3500 15 passanger van
6 humans, 2 cats, and a dog
Visit our blog at www.ROWLESmade.com
Our trailer re-build thread

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
With the money saved by purchasing an older unit from a private party I'd spend money on a good mechanic to do a thorough overhaul of the engine much like having an inspection of real estate prior to purchase.

It's rare for anyone to come out ahead with the type of insurance you are speaking of.

I think this is the link bearII meant to post:

http://www.rv-dreams.com/rv-extended-warranties.html

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a good website with a very informative write up about service policies:
http://www.rv-dreams.com/rv-insurance.html

GVJeeper
Explorer
Explorer
thanks jb....very helpful. She would be looking for the same type of warranty you can get from a dealer on a used rv.....she's concerned that the engine will give her trouble on an older A or C coach.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
She can purchase an Insurance policy called a warranty but it's a "buyer beware" proposition and generally not worth the paper it's on.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

gdweb
Explorer
Explorer
looking up at the extended service program tab on top of page, it shows motorhomes up to 15 years old and less than 80,000 miles may qualify. might want to get info on motorhome check with them and see if it qualifies. im sure there are several others out there too. I have one thru xtraride, used it once and had no problems with them. but as always research to see what you get and what you don't get thru them. mine was "thrown in" by dealer. (yeah right)
SEMPER FI

Gary & Diane
Ky
2020 F250 King Ranch 6.7l FX4
2013 Sundance 3270res

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
She might be able to buy a service policy (what is often called a "Warranty" is actually a service insurance policy) but while some people have come out ahead on one, they have so many loopholes and conditions that most people don't get their moneys worth.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad