cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When do you have to light pilot light?

tcc11tcc
Explorer
Explorer
Haven't used the pilot light yet. Only used the TT once so far. It took a very long time for the refrig to get cool when we turned it on. I will be doing mostly weekend trips.

I thought I would turn on the frig and set the mode to gas the night before I was leaving to get it cool. Question is do you need to light the pilot light for that or is that only for hot water?

I don't have a manual for the camper and thought this would be the quickest way to find out. Thanks!
TCC
Nashville, TN
2007 Jayco Exp 17C
23 REPLIES 23

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
tcc11tcc wrote:
Haven't used the pilot light yet. Only used the TT once so far. It took a very long time for the refrig to get cool when we turned it on. I will be doing mostly weekend trips.

I thought I would turn on the frig and set the mode to gas the night before I was leaving to get it cool. Question is do you need to light the pilot light for that or is that only for hot water?

I don't have a manual for the camper and thought this would be the quickest way to find out. Thanks!

Bleed air out of the gas lines by lighting a burner. Set the fridge mode to AUTO. that way. When you hook to electricity. It will run on electric, when you unhook. It will automatically switch to gas, and lite. No need to worry.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
There's nothing wrong with using the propane while driving. It's designed to bu used that way.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
fridge should not need to be lit manually.
maybe the water heater but not the fridge. and even the WH is usually lit by DSI, for your year of trailer. unless it was an option.

why aren't you plugging it into shore power overnight, to cool, before you leave. that's what nearly all of us do.
then you can switch to propane.:h
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
no
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

beckid
Explorer
Explorer
I always use the gas for the fridge - driving or dry camping. When we are hooked up to 30 AMP it automatically uses electric. I used the fridge on propane for 2 weeks and barely used 2 gallons of propane. My tank holds 25 gallons so I don't think the fridge uses much.
The pilot light he showed you was likely for the oven or water heater.
Me '54
Him '58
Rain the Awesome Aussie
Maggie the wonderdog over the RB 4/16
2008 Fleetwood Fiesta LX 34N

tcc11tcc
Explorer
Explorer
I swear the guy I bought it from showed me a pilot light. I didn't light it last time and everything worked but I didn't use the oven. Didn't test the hot water that I remember. It was just overnight. This is the first real trip for 3 days.

I know Ive read its bad to have the gas on when driving. It's only 3 hours so I thought I could shut it off while driving and it might stay cold enough that it doesnt take forever to cool off when I got there.

Does leaving the frig on gas for a day or two use alot of gas?
TCC
Nashville, TN
2007 Jayco Exp 17C

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
The only pilot light on any 2007 should be in the oven.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I do know some water heaters have pilot lights, but almost everything is DSI these days. I've not seen a refrigerator that had to have a pilot light on in a long time, as most will ignite automatically when needed.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your 2007 unit should have dsi. No pilots.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman