cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

12 volt compressors

jmilner
Explorer
Explorer
Do you know of any good 12 volt Compressors . I have looked at some but they come up short. I have a 2500 Chevy and a 30 ft Sunnybrook 5th wheel with 16 inch tires. I put up to 80 lbs in the tires and am looking for a 12 volt unit. It is not easy sometimes to find a place where you can add air to your tire pulling a 5th wheel.
32 REPLIES 32

RVIrvine
Explorer
Explorer
Ditto on VIAIR. Do you research before you spend $$ on a pump.
VIAIR compressors are also used to lift and lower vehicles for air suspension systems that require 150 psi and for air horns that need 200psi.

Google viair air suspension or viair air horns

And they offer a dozen compressors for different tire sizes. small ones that are about $45 for normal cars. $200 compressors for jeep, truck and RV tires.

There are faster and bigger compressors than VIAIR but you'll end up spending $300-$400 on a compressor that saves you about 20 seconds to a minute.

Source: I work in the 4x4 industry.

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
I recently bought the Viair 88P because it has the highest duty cycle at 100psi at only 19A of all the portables except the 450P and really didn't need the 100% duty cycle at the price of that system. I also thought it was the best buy with the best capabilities. I did modify the electrical and air hose system to make it more portable and versatile. I really like it better than the 20yr Coleman I was replacing. I did have to buy a filter/dryer and wish they came standard with that accessory.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

Oldtymeflyr
Explorer
Explorer
MV50 is a good compressor, but... it does have durability issues. Mine is having trouble bringing the tires from approximately 65psi up to 80psi, after maybe 50 tires.

The_Two_Ds
Explorer
Explorer
wintersun wrote:
The local gas stations pumps seldom can provide 80 PSI so I top off my tires with a bicycle pump (good for up to 140 PSI). Very portable and no need for an outlet. If I manage to get old enough to where that is a problem I would opt for an air tank over a portable compressor as I have yet to find a compact 12v compressor that was good for more than the 35 PSI of car tires and most burn out with even light use.

I too use a bicycle pump. They're reliable, quiet, light, easy to store, cheap for the service they give and some of the better ones are rebuildable. I've used the same one (Specialized) for years on my bicycles, motor scooters and cars and not had to do anything to it. I now use it on my mh and have no trouble reaching 80psi. My bicycles take 100-120psi. It's just easy.

CORNFED__5-0_
Explorer
Explorer
Look at the duty cycle on the Viair. It has a 100% duty cycle at 150 PSI and something like 80% at 200 PSI. As a jeeper and most of my friends into rock crawling and extreme 4X4 we all run Viair. Their built to run air suspension and function as fast as hydraulics but are space sensitive (small) to mount in the tightest places on your rig.

JMHO but experience proven by me on the trail and blacktop.
Ruby Red 2016 F450 Crew-cab, 2008, 36' Cardinal.
Two daughters, Wife and me.

Retired with no free time!

ON THE SQUARE

Tango__AE7UI
Explorer
Explorer
x2 on the MV50.
2007 Tango 2660RKS Fifth Wheel, 2006 Chevy D/A 3500 with service body,

order191
Explorer
Explorer
Ginther wrote:
I got one of these as a gift and have only used it a few times. It tops off my 235/80R16 5er tires to 80-90psi pretty quick and easy. Being a twin piston seems to give it a little more power than other single piston type I've had in the past.

Slime 2x inflator

At WalMart

I have one of these and no problems so far (other than getting it back into the box). Only need to go up to 50 psi though, so can't comment beyond that.

UTCoyote
Explorer
Explorer
SpencerRB wrote:
Check out the Puma 12v compressor. About $200 on ebay. Blows away anything in the price range, including the Viairs.

Absolutely.

I have a Viair 400P. And I've worn out several of the MV50's. The MV50's put out about the same amount of air and similar tire fill times to the Viair, but for a lot less money. But, the Viair is still going strong and several MV50's have given up the ghost.

I also have the Puma. It's larger, takes up more space and uses more amps than the Viair or MV50, but absolutely blows those other compressors out of the water for air output. And it reeks quality. I had mine mounted under the hood of my Jeep for a couple years where it was exposed to every which kind of nasty conditions and it has never skipped a beat. Hands down best bang for the buck in 12V compressors there is, IMO.

But, I have since replaced the Puma with one of these. An ARB twin compressor unit. It is even more impressive than the Puma. But at over $500, it better be. And, while I like it very much, like it more than the Puma, I don't like it $300 more than the Puma.

Money no object, get the ARB. Money matters at all, get the Puma. The Viair is a good solid, dependable unit. But the MV50 performs about equally for a fraction of the cost. The MV50 doesn't last very long under severe duty such as I subject my onboard air compressors to, but for occasional tire filling use, you may well have one last you forever.

Just my opinions, based on extensive use of the above...

- Coyote

jmilner
Explorer
Explorer
thank guys I purchased the VIAIR 300p and used the other day and filled up trailer tire from 75lbs to 82lbs in about two min. This is what I was looking for.

Ginther
Explorer
Explorer
I got one of these as a gift and have only used it a few times. It tops off my 235/80R16 5er tires to 80-90psi pretty quick and easy. Being a twin piston seems to give it a little more power than other single piston type I've had in the past.

Slime 2x inflator

At WalMart
2009 Keystone Challenger 34SAQ 5er
2015 Ford F250 Platinum FX4 SB CC 6.7L Diesel

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Just throwing my 2 cents into the ring, I picked up a Porter Cable portable inflator... it claims to be good to 150 lbs, but the most I've ever gone to is 60 psi for my bike. It has high pressure low volume, and high volume low pressure outlets for doing tires, and things like air mattresses.

It runs off 12v or an 18v battery. I have two batteries which I share with my drill and fluorescent light.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

isa
Explorer
Explorer
I too have a Harbor Freight Hi-volume 12vdc air compressor, actually two of them. However you have to be careful as there are two that look identical to the VIAIR.

Make sure you buy the 150psi model(35a fuse), it works very well and really fast blowing up my motorhome tires to 90psi.

The other model I believe is only good to 100psi and since it is working at full output heats up and oftentimes the 30 amp fuse blows.

Monaco_Montclai
Explorer
Explorer
We got one at cw, air lift, in its on bag, with lots of extras. Happy-camping

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
PacBrake, airs up the RV tires to 110# also the TrailAir Airbag pin box, air bags and air horn.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD