cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1973 Holiday Rambler travel trailer

Grajczyk1986
Explorer
Explorer
Hello for him, I was directed here buy another form user about questions I have to anyone that knows anything about 1973 holiday Ramblers. My wife and I acquired it two years ago the first year we didn't get much use out of it last year we had a ton of use out of it. It is stationary up on blocks but is in very good shape. It isn't a can't round in northwest Ohio on a lake and it is beautiful. We have no intentions of moving it so I don't need to worry about tires or nothing right now. The Integrity of the camper is beautiful. I do not know the footage off hand. But I will get that when I go up there next weekend. I never got an owners manual I know it has a Dometic refrigerator I believe model rm2310. I do not have to worry about a holding tank for freshwater since we have a hook up there at the campground all the time. I know 1973 a grey water tank was optional we do not have that option all we have is a black water tank so I have it hooked up to a blue boy. So if there's anyone in here that knows anything about Dometic refrigerators I need to replace the seal on the freezer door, which I have found for sale online but I have a few questions about it before I purchase it. Also when I bought the trailer previous owner said the furnace was the only thing that really didn't work on it and I asked him what was wrong with it and he didn't know because it never worked for him. I'd like to know where the furnace is located on my Holiday Rambler and get working on that also. So if anyone has any information or knows anything about those travel trailers please let me know.
25 REPLIES 25

Mel_B_
Explorer
Explorer
Look for "My Buddy propane heater" on amazon. Safe to use in the trailer all night. I bought the 10'hose and converted it to run on a 5 gallon tank. They sell them set up to run on a little green propane can. Works great in our 32' 5th wheel.
Mel

mbrower
Explorer
Explorer
I have most everything you need. We have a 71 HR Traveler and they are pretty much the same through 73. I can send everything to you PDF. Just send me a PM with your email address.

Mark
2001 Chevy 3500 Big Dooley 8.1L (496 Cubes)Allison 5sp 4:10
2008 KZ Montego Bay 37RLB-4

Grajczyk1986
Explorer
Explorer
Ok I will check out lol motorhomes. Thank you(: and I do not know of any salvage places around me for awnings

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I made new awning inserts out of aluminum because I had some and a siding brake to put some bends in the aluminum panels. With the age of your Holiday and the possible future repairs, you may wish to find an RV salvage place close by that sells the various hardware.

From what I've read, door seals are difficult to find. Most vendors want to sell a replacement door. If it was me, I'd be looking at that salvage outlet or buying replacement rubber from another source. About the only online vendor I know of that may carry what you need is PPL motorhomes out of Houston, TX. I've bought a few things from them and their service was good.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Grajczyk1986
Explorer
Explorer
Yes I get what you're saying. Now on to another note I was wondering if you know any companies or websites or anybody that knows where I can find replacement freezer or refrigerator door sealant sealers. On my Dometic refrigerator the internal freezer doors sealer dry rotted so I took it out I don't know if they make just repair kits where I can custom cut it to fit or they make exact matches do you know? Also are front awning over a front windows on the trailer was bent due to our previous owner his cap on the back of his truck when he was making a sharp turn in Reverse bent it a little. Do you know of anybody or any websites that I can get a replacement awning for the front trying to keep it as close to the original look as I can

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Grajczyk1986 wrote:
I actually run the generator throughout the night. So I would be ok then correct? And then... I don't think I have a battery in the back by the converters. The charger/converter is an olive green and they look ooolllldddd.
OK.
Hmmm, converters of that era typically needed a battery to operate but all kinds of situations can be found. If it was me, I'd want at least one battery available. If my generator quit at night, I'd like some lighting to be available. If the genset quit at 4:00 AM and I had a battery, I'd probably just roll over and wait until daylight to deal with it. Different strokes, I guess.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC

Grajczyk1986
Explorer
Explorer
I actually run the generator throughout the night. So I would be ok then correct? And then... I don't think I have a battery in the back by the converters. The charger/converter is an olive green and they look ooolllldddd.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Grajczyk1986 wrote:
Let me ask you this now... When you say 12V, do you mean battery? Is a battery the only way I can operate the furnace or can I use electricity??? BC I have electricity
The battery holds 12V power in reserve. Yes, running the onboard 12V converter/power supply will supply enough 12V power but if you don't run the generator continually, the power comes from the battery.
I kind of assumed that you wouldn't run the generator through the night.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC

Grajczyk1986
Explorer
Explorer
Let me ask you this now... When you say 12V, do you mean battery? Is a battery the only way I can operate the furnace or can I use electricity??? BC I have electricity

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Grajczyk1986 wrote:
Well the thing is the campground closest to normal camping between October and April. But my grandfather and my wife and I go whitetail deer hunting during the winter time and there are weekends only go that it gets down to like two to three degrees so I've been using space heaters but I know it's not very smart. So I would like to get the furnace working cuz I can run off a generator there them because they turn the electricity off during the off-season. So if I can somehow figure out how to take out the furnace if anyone can let me know that and how to take it out so I can check it and what I need to do exactly then I can start working on it but I bought a generator to run the lights and everything during the winter time so I would just run the furnace off that if possible. Now I would have to have electricity source and propane to run the furnace correct?
Understood. Old-Biscuit knows his propane appliances, his advice is always spot on.

Yes, you will need adequate 12V power and propane to operate the furnace. I'd suggest you start exploring a battery upgrade. The worst situation is running out of 12V power in the middle of a cold night.
As he states, first step is to see what model you have. The link to Chris Bryant's website for the service manuals is here. The service manual, typically, has tips for removal.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
It pulls out after removal of grill .....inside RV

Remove the intake/exhaust ports prior to reinstalling furnace. After furnace is back in place then you can reinsert intake/exhaust ports

When you remove grill you should be able to ID make/model -----look for sticker/data tag etc.
Then you can goggle 'Brand Model Service Manual' (Atwood 7900 series service manual)

Furnace is ALL 12V DC and propane
Generator is good idea.....powers converter/charger for DC Supply and then when shut down battery (charged via converter) supplies DC

Furnace is a HOG when it comes to DC power and propane
1 Battery/1 night then recharging of battery needed
Propane......depends on temps but furnace LIKES it

(we have two 30# cylinders 7.2 gallons each-----went thru one a day when we hit a snow/ice storm course is was -19*F also)
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Grajczyk1986
Explorer
Explorer
Well the thing is the campground closest to normal camping between October and April. But my grandfather and my wife and I go whitetail deer hunting during the winter time and there are weekends only go that it gets down to like two to three degrees so I've been using space heaters but I know it's not very smart. So I would like to get the furnace working cuz I can run off a generator there them because they turn the electricity off during the off-season. So if I can somehow figure out how to take out the furnace if anyone can let me know that and how to take it out so I can check it and what I need to do exactly then I can start working on it but I bought a generator to run the lights and everything during the winter time so I would just run the furnace off that if possible. Now I would have to have electricity source and propane to run the furnace correct?

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Grajczyk1986 wrote:
Do you know what your most common typical problems are why the furnace might not work
There's a list of issues why the furnace may not operate. You could remove a panel and see if you can troubleshoot the electrical side but with the typical RV furnace that has not operated for years, it's better to pull it out and inspect it thoroughly. Besides the blower being locked up from rust or debris, you want to make sure the burner and heat chamber are in good shape.

If a previous owner had left it unused and used the tape because there was a water ingress issue, you may have a lot of problems with the light steel pieces the furnace is made of.

If you're in MN, come on over and I'll give you a '71 furnace, condition unknown but is all in one piece.

That brings up another aspect--alternative heaters if the one you have isn't working. I installed one that doesn't use any electrical, just a space heater with a gas ring. It is one of the better decisions I made. If your water heater is in good shape, you could use a hydronic heat exchanger with fan for the occasional chilly night.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC

Grajczyk1986
Explorer
Explorer
Do you know what your most common typical problems are why the furnace might not work