cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2-1/2” Hitch extension?

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Just figgered out that my hitch shank is a bit too short. Nose cap on trailer hits the tail lights on the truck in tight turns. (Barely, just scratched not smashed, lol)
What I can’t find readily is a short 2.5” x 2.5” extension. Plenty of reducers, adapters and long 2.5” extensions, but nothing in a short 6-8” overall extension.
Anyone else bought one? Where?
Caveat just looked online. Haven’t hit up any trailer/truck shops yet.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold
21 REPLIES 21

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^No worries man! I’m just a little stumped as to why no one appears to make short hitch extensions for any of the larger truck hitch receivers.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Grit….da…you got me…hadn’t thought about that…
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
BenK wrote:
If me, just buy the shortest and cut it down to whatever length you need/want...drill new holes as needed

then paint it with zinc rich paint

That’s a good idea, but would still have to weld a reinforcing collar around the receiver end of the extension after cutting it down.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Lynnmor wrote:
I guess that the Reese shank, that I linked to, wouldn't give you the length required?

Yessir I believe it would, thanks.
Maybe I didn’t explain, but I have a nice shiny new adjustable aluminum drop hitch that I’d prefer to use.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
If me, just buy the shortest and cut it down to whatever length you need/want...drill new holes as needed

then paint it with zinc rich paint
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I guess that the Reese shank, that I linked to, wouldn't give you the length required?

My mistake......

I just checked mine and it IS a 2"receiver extension.... NOT 2-1/2"
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
So, quick measurements on my receiver and stinger, and it would seem to be no issue to make an extension about 8” long. 6” wouldn’t quite work. And obviously anything longer would work fine.
Seems strange with the vast number of 2.5 and 3” hitch trucks that this product is not available. Of the 2 trailers I own and 1other that I tow sometimes with my personal truck, all would be mush more user friendly if separated from the ass and of the truck by a bit more.

Oh well, put it on the to do list I suppose. Haven’t researched tubing yet to see if I can build one with heavy enough tubing for the plug end of the extension so as not to need to get solid bar stock.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Ha, just called Torklift here. He said 24" ext is the shortest he's ever seen, so I believe that could be considered final answer!

I need another project like a hole in my head, but gonna have to make one I suppose.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Anyone know of a source for short 2.5” extension?
I even hit up the Fleet Farm last weekend when I was in Minnesoooota, no dice. 100 different hitch parts but not what I need.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Depends on the length of the hitch extension (obviously) and the load.
I fully understand that and the math behind it.
Fact is, my hitch is super short and a short extension will put it similar to a normal hitch. No large cantilever for the tongue weight I have.

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
With regard to decreased capacity of an extended shank---I've had two of them on two different trucks. No problem at all. On my current set up, the Equilizer hitch actually takes up a fair amount of the weight transferred to the truck.
Anyway, they have worked well for me, and I can lower the tailgate without denting it on the hitch. It also allows tighter turns too.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I’ll check there. Thanks.
Was at a fleet farm and nothin there.

I have one, I BELIEVE it is 12" in total.. got it at Uhaul of all places....
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet