cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2 Blowouts, different tires, different axles, 1 hour apart

love4god
Explorer
Explorer
I am driving on the 95 North today through South Carolina. We got a honking horn next to us, someone telling us our tire was flat. I pulled over and we were pretty flat but not blown out. I pulled over and changed the tire to my spare (full size) tire.

About an hour later we're driving on same road, the OTHER axle OTHER side of the trailer we got a blowout?!?!

These are nice MAXXUS tires, less than a year old. Tires have tons of tread and seem like they're in great shape. I figure I got a nail or something in the one and slow leaked (all though I couldn't find anything).

Any idea what could cause 2 tires on different axles on different sides of the trailer both blowout an hour apart? I saw lots of rubber on the road but this was a long distance apart and it didn't happen in one spot where there could have been road hazards, it was 60 miles apart.

I was driving about 60, I had just checked air pressure after fixing first flat so other tires were at 70psi. I haven't added any weight, if anything I just got rid of a few things that would have brought me down a hundred pounds or so.

It's baffling me!
45 REPLIES 45

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
fla-gypsy wrote:
PartyMarty wrote:
regarding weight reduction with LT tires ?
That is the misunderstanding .
The ST scale is so weak that the placard on the side of equivalent size tires shows the ST tire at a higher weight rating than the similar sized LT tire .
even though the LT tire is more tire from the same manufacuter.
The LT Tire definitely is more tire than than the same size ST tire .
from the tire rack website here is a comparison between ( nearly ) identical 235/80R16E tires :
From the tirerack website .

Goodyear ST 235/80 R 16 E
price = $ 135 each
weight = 34 # each
section width is 9.2 "
tread width= 6.8 "
diameter is 30.7 "
rated 3420 # at 80 psi on ST scale

Goodyear LT 235/85 R 16 E
price = $ 157 each
weight = 50 # each
section width is 9.3 "
tread width= 7.0 "
diameter is 31.7 "
rated 3042 # at 80 psi on LT scale

So the Goodyear ST tire is rated for 112.4 % higher load rating than the equivalent Goodyear LT tire .
And they will sell this ST tire for only 86 % of the LT tire .
And the ST tire has less mass for cordage , plys , caps and so forth because it weighs 76 % of the Goodyear LT tire .

This is very telling as to how much lower the ST standards are in relation to the LT standards .

Further the ST tire has plainly stamped on the sidewall " for trailer use only " .
The LT tire has no disclaimer .
to recap :
the manufacturer is the same.
both tires are 235 ( one is 80 = 80% and the other is 85 = 85% )
both tires are load range E or 80 PSI .
The ST tire is cheaper ( 86% cost ) .
The ST tire has less rubber and cords .
The ST tire weighs 76 % of the LT Tire .
The LT tire only gets a 3042# rating on the LT scale .
The cheaper / lighter ST tire gets a 3402 # rating on the less demanding ST scale .
This is very clear .
Goodyear , the manufacturer , has to build a much tougher tire for LT use such as on our heavy duty pickups .

If what you say is true then why do they derate the tire? Couldn't there be specific design differences that account for a higher weight rating? Why would they derate a tire that is capable of more weight? I have heard this argument before but other than a weight difference in the two tires I see no reason to believe it can carry more then the maker says it can.

I think they derate the tire because it is designed to carry live passengers. They derate the tire to ensure it won't fail. The tire is not rated to tow at it's max limit. There are more tolerances built in to avoid failure
ST tires on the other hand are not designed or rated to carry passengers. St tires have to meet a lower quality standard. In theory if and when they fail there are no human lives at risk.
Consequently ST tires fail all the time especially when used at there limits. Likewise LT tires have less failures even when used at their limits
How can a physically lighter ST tire carry more weight than the heavier LT tire? Simple the standards are not the same. The ST tire is designed to a lower threshold and quality standard because it is not rated as a passenger carrying tire.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
PartyMarty wrote:
The ST scale is so weak that the placard on the side of equivalent size tires shows the ST tire at a higher weight rating than the similar sized LT tire .
from the tire rack website here is a comparison between ( nearly ) identical 235/80R16E tires :

price = $ 135 each
weight = 34 # each
section width is 9.2 "
tread width= 6.8 "
diameter is 30.7 "

price = $ 157 each
weight = 50 # each
section width is 9.3 "
tread width= 7.0 "
diameter is 31.7 "

So the Goodyear ST tire is rated for 112.4 % higher load rating than the equivalent Goodyear LT tire .
And the ST tire has less mass for cordage , plys , caps and so forth because it weighs 76 % of the Goodyear LT tire .

This is very telling as to how much lower the ST standards are in relation to the LT standards .

Further the ST tire has plainly stamped on the sidewall " for trailer use only " .
to recap :
The cheaper / lighter ST tire gets a 3402 # rating on the less demanding ST scale .
This is very clear .
Goodyear , the manufacturer , has to build a much tougher tire for LT use such as on our heavy duty pickups .

If what you say is true then why do they derate the tire? Couldn't there be specific design differences that account for a higher weight rating? Why would they derate a tire that is capable of more weight? I have heard this argument before but other than a weight difference in the two tires I see no reason to believe it can carry more then the maker says it can.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

PartyMarty
Explorer
Explorer

price = $ 135 each
weight = 34 # each
section width is 9.2 "
tread width= 6.8 "
diameter is 30.7 "

price = $ 157 each
weight = 50 # each
section width is 9.3 "
tread width= 7.0 "
diameter is 31.7 "

to recap :
This is very clear .

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
love4god wrote:
Yeah, I've pretty much had a moron moment.

I realize I was mistaken, in the last year I had my truck tires replaced and my RV rims (1 of the factory steel rims rusted through). My tires are actually about 3 years old. We've been travelling around the U.S. those three years and they're just worn down too much. It's odd they blew on the same day, but if the tire was old and was taking extra pressure from the spare being Load D or just the stress of driving 2 slow miles on 3 tires to get off the 95, it seems plausible. Bad road, under inflated, extra load, older tire... it all adds up.

The only problem is that I'm stuck in the middle of nowhere and the guy only has Hi Runs. Nothing much I can do about it. Putting on 4 new Hi Runs, 10 ply. They're new and price isn't terrible. So we'll see how it goes.

I had a real mental lapse with these tires. When I got the rims last year I was thinking I got rims and tires but my wife corrected me and I checked the receipt. I didn't get tires because my Maxxus tires still looked good and I never had any problems with them. They just reached the end of their life I suppose. It's actually amazing how good the tread looks considering we've been driving them around the country for 3 years. Must easily be 50k miles on them and they still have some decent tread (the 2 that didn't blow on me).

When I said driving at 70 I mean psi, not mph. I usually run around 65mph on interstate although I do get up to 70 sometimes.

Also, I can't afford the weight reduction for LT's. I thought about it last time but we have been living/travelling and we just can't afford that much weight reduction. We're just below max and there isn't much we can get rid of.

I guess when I got new rims I should have gotten 16's. I didn't want to do tires at the time and do jump to 16's you have to do it all at once. It was, and still is, a financial decision. Can't buy new rims again so I'm stuck at 15, but I am also sticking with the 10 ply (E's).

So lessons learned today:
1. Keep tires inflated to max
2. Keep better track of when you need new tires
3. Keep the speed down to 65 when towing

Tires are getting mounted now, at the local library while the kids do school and I check in on some work. Should be back on the road in a little bit.

If you are running the 15" E rated ST tires you are still flirting with loading those tires to max with a GVWR of 11,999. I sure hope you can figure out a better scenario that will fit your budget in the future.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
fla-gypsy wrote:
Lowsuv wrote:
maxxis failure # 22 on this forum.

= non value added post

You mean sort of like the phrase "China Bombs";)

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

love4god
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, I've pretty much had a moron moment.

I realize I was mistaken, in the last year I had my truck tires replaced and my RV rims (1 of the factory steel rims rusted through). My tires are actually about 3 years old. We've been travelling around the U.S. those three years and they're just worn down too much. It's odd they blew on the same day, but if the tire was old and was taking extra pressure from the spare being Load D or just the stress of driving 2 slow miles on 3 tires to get off the 95, it seems plausible. Bad road, under inflated, extra load, older tire... it all adds up.

The only problem is that I'm stuck in the middle of nowhere and the guy only has Hi Runs. Nothing much I can do about it. Putting on 4 new Hi Runs, 10 ply. They're new and price isn't terrible. So we'll see how it goes.

I had a real mental lapse with these tires. When I got the rims last year I was thinking I got rims and tires but my wife corrected me and I checked the receipt. I didn't get tires because my Maxxus tires still looked good and I never had any problems with them. They just reached the end of their life I suppose. It's actually amazing how good the tread looks considering we've been driving them around the country for 3 years. Must easily be 50k miles on them and they still have some decent tread (the 2 that didn't blow on me).

When I said driving at 70 I mean psi, not mph. I usually run around 65mph on interstate although I do get up to 70 sometimes.

Also, I can't afford the weight reduction for LT's. I thought about it last time but we have been living/travelling and we just can't afford that much weight reduction. We're just below max and there isn't much we can get rid of.

I guess when I got new rims I should have gotten 16's. I didn't want to do tires at the time and do jump to 16's you have to do it all at once. It was, and still is, a financial decision. Can't buy new rims again so I'm stuck at 15, but I am also sticking with the 10 ply (E's).

So lessons learned today:
1. Keep tires inflated to max
2. Keep better track of when you need new tires
3. Keep the speed down to 65 when towing

Tires are getting mounted now, at the local library while the kids do school and I check in on some work. Should be back on the road in a little bit.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
I think the Op answered his own question...
I quote.."I thought I should be at 70psi, but I looked and it seems they should be around 85 (although I've been driving at 70 for a long time)."
I assume that's 70 PSI ?
Under inflation and what sounds like bad road conditions make tire go "pop".
It doesn't matter if they are "China Bombs", Maxxis or whatever brand under those conditions.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Inspecting the blown tires might be a good first step.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

PartyMarty
Explorer
Explorer
I did not see where the OP said he had 16 inch tires .
Did he have Maxxis 16 inch tires that failed ?
If so what was the tire size , load range , and weight rating of those Maxxis ?

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
op says wrote:
It's possible that when the one tire went and I put on the spare that we overloaded the other side. That tire blew out, I heard it go. My tires are E rated buy my spare was D rated. When I bought new tires I had them use the best of my old ones (an older D rated Towmax) as my spare. I guess that could have shifted weight over to the other side

A couple of misconceptions here.
A flat tire on one end of a axle or a different size tire (smaller) does't overload the tire at the other end of the axle. It can cause the tire behind or in front to take a bit more load.
The flat tire is still carry a share of the load. If its ran long enough the tire shreds till its gone then starts rolling on the wheel.
I've seen beautiful spark show at nite from my steel wheels when I pulled equipment/flatdeck/enclosed trailers for a living.

I thought I should be at 70psi, but I looked and it seems they should be around 85 (although I've been driving at 70 for a long time).

Assuming your talking about the Maxxis ST8008 trailer tire.
I've found its best to run any tire on a trailer at max sidewall pressures which lets the tire operate at its coolest especially when we get into heavier/thicker sidewalls D or E rated class tires.
Also ST tires are rated up to 65 mph max. Running at 70 mph creates more heat.
Flex from low pressures plus running at speed greater than the tire is rated/rough roads can and had has led many folks including myself to premature tire failure especially using ST tires.

If your wanting to travel at those speeds and eliminate those type issues the LT tire would be a better choice.
The forum can help you if your going that direction.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Lowsuv wrote:
fla-gypsy wrote:
Lowsuv wrote:
maxxis failure # 22 on this forum.

= non value added post

Okay.
Value added post .
In a 15 inch tire there is a better alternative .
LT rated Goodyear 225/70R15 c ( commercial ) load range D .
Gargo G26 .
sidewall rating 2470 # on an LT scale .
This is a European van tire such as the Mercedes sprinter .
Made in France or Germany , not Asian like the maxxis .
Speed rated for 106 mph , unlike the maxxis at 65 mph .
If the OP has 6 bolt axles he can make the switch to 16 inch wheels .
There are many choices of LT rating scale 16 inch tires that are rated 3042 # and more .
If the OP visits the tire rack website and plugs in size 225/70R15 and compares that with the standard ST 225 /75R15 he can do his own comparison in depth .
Simply put , the Goodyear Cargo G26 225 /70R15 load range D is the most tire currently available in a 15 inch diameter wheel .

Please note, the OP has 16" E rated ST tires already and was advised to investigate LT tires. He was running a mismatched D rated tire as a spare after the first leaking tire failure and running his E rated tires under inflated (70 psi) on terrible roads. He is probably fortunate that it didn't turn out worse and the tire failures were likely self induced unfortunately. Even having the worlds best ST tire (Maxxis) is no match to the abuse they were subjected to.

Bluhorn
Explorer
Explorer
I have driven that stretch many times and I do not look forward to it. Its terrible! With load range E tires I dont think you would be overloaded. Wildcats are not lightweight trailers, i have one.But you did have lower air pressure than what is called for on those tires. You are a good candidate for 16" LT tires, but if that switch is not in the budget, just replace with E rated to match the others, air up and have a nice trip.
1993 Dodge D 250 Cummins Club Cab
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 4X4 Quad Cab
2022 Palomin9 Solaire 242RB
Chance The Senior Husky

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
fla-gypsy wrote:
Two tires failing that close together is indicative of external forces at work such as road hazards, excessive heat, or over loaded. Having drove that stretch my guess would be road hazards.

Sounds very likely.

mikeh449
Explorer
Explorer
max trailer speed in most states is 65 mph

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Back in my trailer days it seems that every time I hit the road BANG, went a tire.

Finally upgraded the tires to a larger size (Possible on those trailers) with a greater load range.

Scale the trailer.. Then compare the results to the tire ratings.. and inflation pressure,, If you are blowing tires frequently it means one of three things.

1: Very hazardous driving (IE: you like to drive over beds of nails) (low probility)
2: China bombs (High probility)
3: Over load (Likewise)
4: Bad wheel bearings (medium). (Generate far too much heat, THIS is what I think was popping mine cause I went to a larger tire, reduced RPM's on the wheel meant less heat).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times