cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2 Questions about the Pink Stuff

StephJohn2010
Explorer
Explorer
I know this stuff shouldn't be hard, but for some reason this is one of those things that I'm having trouble with:

1) I heard somewhere (once) that you shouldn't use the pink stuff with alcohol in it ... is that true? Of coarse, I can only find stuff that has "ethyl alcohol" in it.

2) What brand do you use?
John & Steph
2012 Fleetwood Discovery 40x (35,000 miles)
380 HP Cummins with an Allison Transmission - Freightliner Chassis
2015 Jeep Cherokee Limited Active Drive II
25 REPLIES 25

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
StephJohn2010 wrote:
MFL wrote:
The ethanol cheap stuff is known to cause issues with toilet seal, that may include hardening, sticking, same with tank valve seals. It will also evaporate in storage, over a long period. I have been using Prestone RV anti-freeze for quite a few years. It contains NO ALCOHOL is non-staining, and actually lubricates the toilet, and tank seals. The BAD NEWS is it is hard to find, just this year. I did get some at Advance Auto for $6 a gal. I used to always buy it at Walmart for $5, but they no longer carry it.

Jerry

Prestone is what I've been looking for, but it is impossible to find.
It really didn't matter to me which I use, however, I purchased 6 gallons of Prestone RV anti-freeze for $2 per gallon last Spring when Walmart was having a clearance sale on the stuff. ๐Ÿ™‚ Should have bought a case of it when I had the chance. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Don't know why the Prestone brand is so scarce this Fall.

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
For the past twenty years I have always used what ever was the cheapest and never have had any problem with seals or whatever, so I'll just keep using the cheapest. (either Wally world or Ace hardware)

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
My Walmart has the Sta-Bil brand and the cheap stuff with alcohol for those that don't care. I bought non-alcohol from Lowe's.

StephJohn2010
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
The ethanol cheap stuff is known to cause issues with toilet seal, that may include hardening, sticking, same with tank valve seals. It will also evaporate in storage, over a long period. I have been using Prestone RV anti-freeze for quite a few years. It contains NO ALCOHOL is non-staining, and actually lubricates the toilet, and tank seals. The BAD NEWS is it is hard to find, just this year. I did get some at Advance Auto for $6 a gal. I used to always buy it at Walmart for $5, but they no longer carry it.

Jerry

Prestone is what I've been looking for, but it is impossible to find.
John & Steph

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II

Jerry

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
I try not to over think this RV'ing thing....
Go to Walmart, get what they have (probably Camco or some such) and be done with it.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I have heard and read that the alcohol based stuff can harden rubber seals. Don't know. But I use the propylene glycol type just in case. Walmart typically sells both types. Read the labels. Propylene glycol type is a dollar or so more per gallon than the ethanol type.

StephJohn2010
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Please tell us where you heard this.

This guy (at the 2 minute mark in video) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnjAxHZzz-U
John & Steph

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Please tell us where you heard this.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
The alcohol is likely not a concern. They say it to prevent drying out seals. However, I've never noticed a problem with it. One way to avoid most of these "issues" would be to simply drain the pink stuff once you've used it to winterize. Then the only places it should be is in the traps, maybe the toilet bowl and some small amount at the waste valves.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Dog_Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
I buy my Pink stuff at ACE hardware on sale for $1.99. It says it it is safe for humans and I guess I believe them.
2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad
Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles , Annie get your guns, our English setter (fur Bearing Children)