cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2003 Explorer Tow Vehicle

HardyC
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 4WD 2003 Explorer we would like to tow four down behind our rig. We have a 2008 Gulfstream Freightliner MVC with a 2007 MB diesel engine. Any assistance from the "experts" here much appreciated. Can the Explorer be towed four down behind our motorhome? What needs to be done to be able to do that? Thank you!
Hardy Childers
2008 Vista Cruiser Mini 8231
8 REPLIES 8

Crem
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to add to the discussion that I have towed both a 1996 and a 2010 Explorer for over 30,000 miles and it has worked great. For the 2010 Explorer I removed the indicator light from the 1996, installed it in the 2010, and had the Ford garage program it for neutral tow.

OldF__t
Explorer
Explorer
HardyC wrote:
We have a 4WD 2003 Explorer we would like to tow four down behind our rig. We have a 2008 Gulfstream Freightliner MVC with a 2007 MB diesel engine. Any assistance from the "experts" here much appreciated. Can the Explorer be towed four down behind our motorhome? What needs to be done to be able to do that? Thank you!

PM me your email address and I'll send you a copy of the Ford installation manual for the neutral tow kit so you can see what is involved in the installation.
Jim
2021 Grand Design 303RLS
2019 Ford F350 DRW LB CC

JohnnyT
Explorer II
Explorer II
Moved from class A forum
2004 40DS02 Travel Supreme ISL 400
Jeep Grand Cherokee, Ford F150
M&G Brake & Break Away
Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow bar

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Better offer a comment:
4x4 and AWD are Either/Or. They do NOT coexist in the same vehicle. AWD is also known as Full Time Four Wheel Drive. Their Transfer Case is in Four High all the time. No Neutral and it allows driving on dry pavement. 4x4 pitches a fit. Look at the PDF sheet from Ford and you will see it is for 4x4 and excludes AWD.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Figured there'd be a workaround. Go HERE, then "Our Articles" then "How to Make a Ford Explorer 4x4 Dinghy Ready"

This article is really good because it explains how the "hardware" of the "kit" is really only an indicator light. Then the SUV's Engine Control Module has to be "flashed" using a special tool, and the article explains how that's done with popular tools.

Putting the Transfer Case into Neutral is then a certain sequence you follow from the driver seat. The Indicator Light only lets you know that you got it right.

Gene_in_NE
Explorer II
Explorer II
j-d wrote:
Suggest you click "Notify Moderator" and ask that your thread be moved to "Dinghy Towing."

Sounds like your coach has the goods to tow a 5000# (just a guess) vehicle safely. The issue will be getting the Explorer's transfer case into neutral. I think there may be some 4WD not towable even if there IS a neutral, so you really have to check for the exact Make, Model, Year, and many Details.

Got the Owner's Manual? It may have useful information. Motorhome Magazine publishes an annual list of vehicles which the Manufacturer says are towable without further modification. Somebody here posted a link to back isses and I thought I flagged it but now can't find it.

FLASH: Trying to confirm my fears around How to Get in Neutral, I went to REMCO, who offers kits to help some vehicles be towable. I had to guess the details of which model and options you have, but the site returned this disappointing message:
2003 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD V6 4.0L cyl 5-Speed Automatic 5R55W
Notes
โ€ขInstallation of the Ford Neutral Tow Kit (part no. 3L2J7H332-AA) will allow this vehicle to be towed four on the ground. NOTE: FORD LOST THEIR SUPPLIER IN 2010 AND THE NEUTRAL TOW IS NOT AVAILABLE AS of THIS TIME. Remco does not have a solution.
REMCO Link
Added part number. ๐Ÿ™‚
2002 Trail-Lite Model 211-S w/5.7 Chevy (click View Profile)
Gene

2010Liberty
Explorer
Explorer
This is copied from Nick Russells blog awhile back and how he got around the lack of parts ;
I wrote in yesterdayโ€™s blog, the Explorer requires a Neutral Tow Kit, which is basically an LED light that plugs in under the dashboard, and a simple computer procedure from a Ford dealer to set up the transfer case for towing. However, the company that made the kit for Ford has gone out of business, and a dealer in Oregon bought up every kit available and was charging $375 plus $30 shipping, for an item that originally retailed for about $30. What a rip off!

A lot of internet research, and repeated phone calls to my two most reliable technical guys, Greg White and Ron Speidel, confirmed my belief that any LED light would complete the circuit and work. Thanks for all of your help and patience with my repeated phone calls, guys.
The next step was finding a Ford dealer that would โ€œflashโ€ the computer for me. Jarrett Gordon Ford, in Davenport, Florida was willing to try it, and it worked like a charm! A $2 LED light beats the heck out of over $400 to accomplish the same thing!rts.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Suggest you click "Notify Moderator" and ask that your thread be moved to "Dinghy Towing."

Sounds like your coach has the goods to tow a 5000# (just a guess) vehicle safely. The issue will be getting the Explorer's transfer case into neutral. I think there may be some 4WD not towable even if there IS a neutral, so you really have to check for the exact Make, Model, Year, and many Details.

Got the Owner's Manual? It may have useful information. Motorhome Magazine publishes an annual list of vehicles which the Manufacturer says are towable without further modification. Somebody here posted a link to back isses and I thought I flagged it but now can't find it.

FLASH: Trying to confirm my fears around How to Get in Neutral, I went to REMCO, who offers kits to help some vehicles be towable. I had to guess the details of which model and options you have, but the site returned this disappointing message:
2003 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD V6 4.0L cyl 5-Speed Automatic 5R55W
Notes
โ€ขInstallation of the Ford Neutral Tow Kit will allow this vehicle to be towed four on the ground. NOTE: FORD LOST THEIR SUPPLIER IN 2010 AND THE NEUTRAL TOW IS NOT AVAILABLE AS of THIS TIME. Remco does not have a solution.
REMCO Link