cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2014 Cherokee first tow today

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Towed today for the first time all went well after I learned that the parking break only turns off after you push the break peddle.(hint to other owners)
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks
39 REPLIES 39

PSW
Explorer
Explorer
After reading this thread several weeks ago, we decided on a Trailhawk. Got it back yesterday from installtion of the towing gear. Never towed before (previous Class B owners for years) and am looking forward to having a Jeep to run around in when we camp for extended periods of time.

As far as the Cherokee is concerned: I have owned and driven nothing but Jeeps for almost 25 years. Currently, I have a 2011 Grand Cherokee and the new Trailhawk is my wife's vehicle. Two Jeep family now.

I must say, the Trailhawk is the most impressive Jeep we have owned in all those years. Now, if it just had that old straight line 4L six in it, it would be perfect!! But, times change and the V6 is very impressive so far. Six Jeeps over those years and this is our very favorite: 2014 Cherokee Trailhawk ready to pull behind our Phoenix Cruiser 2350.
PSW
2013 Phoenix Cruiser 2350
2014 Jeep Cherokee behind it
and a 2007 Roadtrek 210P for touring

et2
Explorer
Explorer
The Base plate actually replaces the tow hooks. It's really not a "plate" as there is no cross member to connect the two mounts. The tow hooks are removed and the towing mounts bolted to the frame.

It's ok by me because that is the only thing about the trailhawk I don't care for (red tow hooks).

DiamondDan
Explorer
Explorer
bennefim wrote:
Couldn't you use the tow hooks rather than buy a base plate?

They are not designed for flat towing. Would it work? maybe, but not worth the risk for me, and you'd still need to rig something to attach to the tow bar.

et2
Explorer
Explorer
lpavao100 wrote:
Hi - we just picked up the same vehicle over the weekend. I have a few questions for you if you wouldn't mind?

1. Any issues with incidental reversing - backing up the Cherokee while attached to the RV? I've read "no-backing up" in the manuals. My dealer doesn't seem to have any details.

2. What type of base-plate and towing arm did you use? I've read a little about Blue-Ox.

This is my first dingy, so I'm trying to get well educated about this process. Any feedback would be great. Thanks:)

The only way the motorhome would be in reverse is if someone engages reverse. I'm sure once you realized its in reverse (after a few inches) and "you stop" it should be fine. Someone will come along and tell you they've done it ... more than once. It just means they got lucky no damage occurred. So the answer is don't put it in reverse with the toad attached.

The blue Ox base plate part numbers are noted in previous posts in this thread. Go to the Blue Ox web site and you'll find what you need including the tow bars. They will direct you to a distributor and installer in your area. Or you can install the base plate yourself. Buy a tow bar rated to pull your toad weight. We have the Aventa - it's overkill (rated for 10,000 lbs ) the Cherokee is around 4200 lbs. But I err on the side of caution.

There are other manufactures as well - Roadmaster, etc.

lpavao100
Explorer
Explorer
Hi - we just picked up the same vehicle over the weekend. I have a few questions for you if you wouldn't mind?

1. Any issues with incidental reversing - backing up the Cherokee while attached to the RV? I've read "no-backing up" in the manuals. My dealer doesn't seem to have any details.

2. What type of base-plate and towing arm did you use? I've read a little about Blue-Ox.

This is my first dingy, so I'm trying to get well educated about this process. Any feedback would be great. Thanks:)

bennefim
Explorer
Explorer
Couldn't you use the tow hooks rather than buy a base plate?

DiamondDan
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the kind words. I didn't do the wrenching, and the dealer who did billed five hours for baseplates, lighte, and breakaway switch for the brake buddy.
-Dan

S-n-L
Explorer
Explorer
Dan,

Great looking job. Very low profile when everything is removed. Nice with trimming the grill.

Stuat
Stuart & Leslie Offer

2008 Holiday Rambler Navigator 45-Caspian IV, Cummins ISX 600. 2014 Jeep Cherokee limited,Cashmere. Roadmaster Sterling, SMI Airforceone. Full timing since June 1, 2014

chevylover1965
Explorer
Explorer
DiamondDan wrote:
Just did the Roadmaster baseplates this weekend, and I am very pleased with the result - minimal butchery of the grill, the breakaway leads feed through a pre-existing plug/grommet, and the whole install is very inconspicuous.

The loss of the tow hooks is not all that meaningful to me.

I can't get dropbox photos to embed, so here are the links:
Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3
Pic 4

-dan

Good job. How long did it take you to install it? I like the EZ4 style bracket. Very low profile.
2015 Tiffin Allegro 36 LA
2006 Tiffin Phaeton 40 QDH (Sold)
2016 Chev Equinox LTZ AWD V6
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain tow bar/US Gear
FBINA 144

DiamondDan
Explorer
Explorer
Just did the Roadmaster baseplates this weekend, and I am very pleased with the result - minimal butchery of the grill, the breakaway leads feed through a pre-existing plug/grommet, and the whole install is very inconspicuous.

The loss of the tow hooks is not all that meaningful to me.

I can't get dropbox photos to embed, so here are the links:
Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3
Pic 4

-dan

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
chevylover1965 wrote:
Hello everyone

After painstakingly looking at all the toad vehicles available we ordered a 2014 Cherokee Limited 4WD AD2. We included the luxury group and towing package with a full sized spare tire. We did not get the technology group since the Roadmaster baseplate doesn't play well with adaptive cruise control. The CRV is 6 years old, noisy, with uncomfortable seats (ours are leather), and we didn't want to deal with the a/c compressor issues. We really like the way the Cherokee drives. It's very quiet with lots of goodies.

We looked at the Equinox. However, according to our local dealership, Chevy is having trouble with the timing chain cover on the V6 leaking at around 20/30k miles. We only have 50k on our CRV so that's about when the warranty would expire. Moreover, in order to replace the seal, the mechanic has to drop the entire front subframe out of the car, which takes two days. That would be a real mess to deal with.

In my opinion big mistake not ordering tech group as my Demco base plate works just great with it. I have had mine on since early December
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

chevylover1965
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone

After painstakingly looking at all the toad vehicles available we ordered a 2014 Cherokee Limited 4WD AD2. We included the luxury group and towing package with a full sized spare tire. We did not get the technology group since the Roadmaster baseplate doesn't play well with adaptive cruise control. The CRV is 6 years old, noisy, with uncomfortable seats (ours are leather), and we didn't want to deal with the a/c compressor issues. We really like the way the Cherokee drives. It's very quiet with lots of goodies.

We looked at the Equinox. However, according to our local dealership, Chevy is having trouble with the timing chain cover on the V6 leaking at around 20/30k miles. We only have 50k on our CRV so that's about when the warranty would expire. Moreover, in order to replace the seal, the mechanic has to drop the entire front subframe out of the car, which takes two days. That would be a real mess to deal with.
2015 Tiffin Allegro 36 LA
2006 Tiffin Phaeton 40 QDH (Sold)
2016 Chev Equinox LTZ AWD V6
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain tow bar/US Gear
FBINA 144

BobGed
Explorer
Explorer
S-n-L wrote:
BobGed,

We took it out for a few hours drive. We have almost 200 miles on it now. You will love the Cherokee. Leslie and could not be happier with our decision. You may reconsider the sun roof. It is amazing and so glad to have it. That being said it does cut the headroom in the rear seats a lot.

I realize it is not for everyone. It is our first car with a sun roof. I might be a little nervous if I was loading lots of heavy stuff on the roof.

The seats are the most comfortable I have ever had on any vehicle.

Stuart

Great to hear it's so comfortable. I have a 2006 Toyota Sequoia that I purchased new with a sun roof that I have never used. I've never even taken the tops off of my 2011 Wrangler. However I do quite a bit of bicycle riding, so I guess that's enough open air experience for me. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited

S-n-L
Explorer
Explorer
BobGed,

We took it out for a few hours drive. We have almost 200 miles on it now. You will love the Cherokee. Leslie and could not be happier with our decision. You may reconsider the sun roof. It is amazing and so glad to have it. That being said it does cut the headroom in the rear seats a lot.

I realize it is not for everyone. It is our first car with a sun roof. I might be a little nervous if I was loading lots of heavy stuff on the roof.

The seats are the most comfortable I have ever had on any vehicle.

Stuart
Stuart & Leslie Offer

2008 Holiday Rambler Navigator 45-Caspian IV, Cummins ISX 600. 2014 Jeep Cherokee limited,Cashmere. Roadmaster Sterling, SMI Airforceone. Full timing since June 1, 2014