Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2014 Expedition towing Airstream

Deano_1
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Guys,

I have a 2014 Expedition XLT. Max towing is 9000 and Max tongue is 920 lbs. We recently bought a 2017 Airstream with a hitch weight of 976 lbs. When we bought this last fall it came with a Blue Ox hitch with 1000lb bars. I have a new truck F250 on order (since August), and I have a chance to buy a 2017 F250 to use until our new truck comes in, but we have no idea when that will be. We have a few trips in early summer with most of our towing within an hour of our house. We do have a bigger trip planned for late July and August and hopefully we'll have our new truck by then. Am I pushing the envelop with this setup? Would air bags help?

Thanks!
27 REPLIES 27

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
If the 976 hitch wt is brochure dry wt, you may be well over your receiver hitch capability when fully loaded. Receiver max will be listed on receiver.

As mentioned, if not too far over, you can give it a try. Don't be afraid to add some air to front tires, more to rear, up to max if necessary.

Jerry

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Not saying you can’t tow it successfully. And the vehicle will handle it with the proper modifications. Assuming the camper is in the sub 10klb category loaded up and ready to camp. I would do it if I was behind the wheel.
However you don’t know what the tongue weight is. You probably got the 976 from a brochure or data. You didn’t state what the camper weighs either.
Personally I would t recommend it as you’ve shown you’re new to the towing game and likely don’t know a lot more than you do know about towing.
That said, how’d you get it home? You have the vehicle, camper and wdh, why not try it and see how comfortable you are and how well it pulls?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

propchef
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Except Expeditions are HALF ton.

“ A 3/4 ton can handle any AS made. OP will be fine with his Expedition. Relax. You're good.”

And?

Watch your loading and use a WDH and he'll be fine. ASs are towed with half-tons, sedans, and SUVs safely and stably all the time. Even the 30 footers.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Exactly what model and size Airstream do you own?

Are you kidding me? Hook up your bars , make sure all is level and carry on. Trailer has brakes and a little extra air in rear tires and carry on. That little difference in tongue weight wouldn’t make me worry.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Except Expeditions are HALF ton.

“ A 3/4 ton can handle any AS made. OP will be fine with his Expedition. Relax. You're good.”
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
We have towed 4 or 5 different Airstreams with various tow vehicles, While Airstreams are very nice to tow and are well mannered, I would not tow with your combination. It may be doable at speeds less than 45-50 mph and only 100 miles.

propchef
Explorer
Explorer
A 3/4 ton can handle any AS made.

OP will be fine with his Expedition.

Relax. You're good.

Deano_1
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:
larry cad wrote:
Sorry, a bit confused. Is the Expedition a motorhome? If yes, it is a diesel, right? And rides on airbags. Did you mean to say the Blue Ox hitch is rated 1000 lbs. or did you leave out a "0"?

My understanding is Expedition is a large SUV that shares a lot of suspension, brake, and drive train components with a F150. I might be wrong.

OP, you know 976 is larger than 920, unless you have had a bad case of covid. Now will it explode as soon as you hook it up? No. It might not stop or handle as well with 1200 lbs on the ball. But odds are if you do not get in the car head first*, KNOW you're pushing the limits, you will be fine.

On the short trips we have traveled it actually tows quite well.
Yep, we’ll aware if the weight difference. One of the reasons we ordered a new truck ??

The Expedition is a Ford SUV. The Blue Ox bars are 1000lbs rated bars.

This did come with the HD towing package.

*Millions of miles have convenced me most drivers get in head first. By that I mean but head in driver's seat, sit down, wiggle until the head is firmly implanted, the start the car. It is the job of the rest of public to be sure they safely get where they are going.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
larry cad wrote:
Sorry, a bit confused. Is the Expedition a motorhome? If yes, it is a diesel, right? And rides on airbags. Did you mean to say the Blue Ox hitch is rated 1000 lbs. or did you leave out a "0"?

My understanding is Expedition is a large SUV that shares a lot of suspension, brake, and drive train components with a F150. I might be wrong.

OP, you know 976 is larger than 920, unless you have had a bad case of covid. Now will it explode as soon as you hook it up? No. It might not stop or handle as well with 1200 lbs on the ball. But odds are if you do not get in the car head first*, KNOW you're pushing the limits, you will be fine.

*Millions of miles have convenced me most drivers get in head first. By that I mean but head in driver's seat, sit down, wiggle until the head is firmly implanted, the start the car. It is the job of the rest of public to be sure they safely get where they are going.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
If your Expedition did NOT come with factory installed HD Trailer Towing Package you are really pushing the limit. A lot depends on how much you load the Expedition and what terrain you will be towing over.

My F150 was built in January but it is waiting for a computer module that probably won't be there until May.

larry_cad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Air bags level the truck but they don’t increase payload. You are over what the manufacturer says is the payload limit. I wouldn’t do it.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad