cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2014 Wrangler Requires battery disconnect - What do you use?

portscanner
Explorer
Explorer
We are 95% sure we are going to go buy a new 2 door Wrangler soon and I was doing some research. I downloaded the owners manual from the Jeep Web site and found in the instructions for "Shifting Into NEUTRAL (N)":

15. Disconnect the negative battery cable, and secure it away from the negative battery post.

Our Jeep Liberty does not need a battery disconnect, so this caught me by surprise.

I am curious what other Jeep owners are using for a disconnect. Pulling the cable of the battery and leaving it hang seems a bit crude. I see there are various disconnects on the market. Or is there a work around for this?
One beautiful wife
Mattie and Trooper the furcampers
2019 Dodge 4500 with 2008 Lance 1181
2015 Jeep Wrangler toad w/ ReadyBrake/Brute
Web Site
17 REPLIES 17

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
There is no steering lock on a Wrangler column. So no need to leave the ignition in ACC. Why would you disconnect the battery? The owners manual certainly does't require that...
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
We've towed thousands of miles without disconnecting. Can't see any reason for it, the key is not on- there is no steering lock.

Probably just out of date info in the manual.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

teddychamp
Explorer
Explorer
you can buy a lever type battery disconnect at any automotive store. Once installed you only have to lift the lever to disconnect the battery when needed. Installation is very simple and most automotive stores will do it for you, free of charge.
Fleetwood Bounder 39R 330hp Cummins Turbo Diesel
Freightliner Chasis
Ford Escape Limited - on ACME Towdolly