cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2015 F150 Lights

jhatton
Explorer
Explorer
I have a new 2015 f150 that I am setting up to tow behind the motorhome, previously I towed a saturn vue and used the bulb and tail light set Blue Ox BX8869. I like the simlicity of having the towing lights seprate from the regular lights, but I am unsure if there is enough room in the tail lights for the additional bulb. Does anyone have any expreience fitting the additional bulb into the F150 or should I just get the diode kit?
2 REPLIES 2

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
j-d wrote:
Study up before you go Diode Kit. Some late model Fords have lighting controlled by the car's Body Control Module (BCM) and may/may not also be LED. IF that is also true of F-150 then I believe you have no choice but to go separate.

There are what they call "international" light assemblies. Foreign countries don't have the reflector in one position of the light assembly. Instead it's a bright marker light for use in fog. You might be able to replace Domestic with International and end up with an extra bulb position. IF it's not BCM controlled too...

This is a very good answer when it comes to setting up lighting on a very late model toad. The CAN BUSS or, Multiplex wiring systems have been integrated in later model cars and trucks for at least a couple years now. Unlike a few years ago, goofing around with "additional" loads/lights into the factory wiring may cause issues. The only real way to know, in my opinion, would be to contact your local dealer, specifically a electrical tech at a dealership and ask them if it would be harmful to enter into the system with "diodes" etc. for toad lighting.

In years past, I've used the stock tail lights/bulbs as toad lights for 12 different toads, i.e. 8 different Jeeps, 2011 Honda CRV, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Extra cab, and an '84 Toyota Pickup. It has always worked flawlessly. But, as much as I really like doing it that way, I too would have to be extra cautious when it comes to a very late model toad.

Good luck.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Study up before you go Diode Kit. Some late model Fords have lighting controlled by the car's Body Control Module (BCM) and may/may not also be LED. IF that is also true of F-150 then I believe you have no choice but to go separate.

There are what they call "international" light assemblies. Foreign countries don't have the reflector in one position of the light assembly. Instead it's a bright marker light for use in fog. You might be able to replace Domestic with International and end up with an extra bulb position. IF it's not BCM controlled too...
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB