cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Will_Robinson
Explorer
Explorer
I recently got a 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited to be used as my Toad. Reading the owner's manual isn't very clear on the proper position to leave the key in the ignition. I know I can't leave it locked and I am thinking accessory may be the answer. Does anyone here tow a 2015 ? What position do you leave the key in the ignition? Also, the manual doesn't mention pulling fuses as I had to do in my 2009. If you are towing a 2015, what is your experience?
J & S
2013 Entegra Coach Anthem
15 REPLIES 15

We_retheRussos
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:
I am a Jeep engineer. First off it's a 4X4 right? There is no steering lock so you don't need to leave the key in the ignition or pull any fuses. Just hook it up, shift the T_Case to N and you're good to go. As stated read the owners manual under Recreational Towing.

Jeep Engineer - You missed a crucial step. The Jeep either needs to be in P (park) if its an auto or any forward gear if its manual. The Transmission should not be in N, only the T-Case.
Planning on retiring and full-timing - check out our progress: http://www.weretherussos.com/

tgdameron
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2015 GC Limited 4x4 with QuadTrac II. Follow the recreational towing procedure in the manual and all is good. The last step is to press the Start button to turn off the ignition as will as automatically put the tranny in park.
Tom Dameron
2016 Renegade Verona, Freightliner M2, 2009 Honda CRV, 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee

cjoseph
Explorer
Explorer
We pull the key and lock the doors.

Our's is a 2013.
Chuck, Heidi, Jessica & Nicholas
2013 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA

lathe11
Explorer
Explorer
Sch911 maybe you can shed some light on key position on my 2008 wrangler? My '01 wrangler was one click forward transfer in N tranny in P and away we go!! Get one 7 yrs. newer and now we have to pull fuse and or disconnect battery I just went backwards!!! Is what i'am reading correct??

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
Will_Robinson wrote:
sch911 wrote:
dubdub07 wrote:
sch911 wrote:
I am a Jeep engineer. First off it's a 4X4 right? There is no steering lock so you don't need to leave the key in the ignition or pull any fuses. Just hook it up, shift the T_Case to N and you're good to go. As stated read the owners manual under Recreational Towing.

Well, Jeep engineer, the manual is incorrect. The one that came with my 2012, anyway. Needs to be changed.

Ha! There was a screw up on that point in the OM for a couple of years which I pointed out to the appropriate group, but alas it took them a while to make the updates.

So what's wrong with the manual? What is incorrect with what the engineer is saying?

Mine still says to leave the key in the ignition and disconnect the battery.

The Wrangler transfer case really doesn't need a lot of tutelage. Pull to N and push to 4wd or 2wd.....easy. Then put the tranny in park!!! Super easy. I always do a D and R check to make sure the t-case went to N.
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

Will_Robinson
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:
dubdub07 wrote:
sch911 wrote:

Well, Jeep engineer, the manual is incorrect. The one that came with my 2012, anyway. Needs to be changed.

Ha! There was a screw up on that point in the OM for a couple of years which I pointed out to the appropriate group, but alas it took them a while to make the updates.

So what's wrong with the manual? What is incorrect with what the engineer is saying?
J & S

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
dubdub07 wrote:
sch911 wrote:

OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:

TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2015 Wrangler. I don't leave the keys in it. Nor do we pull any fuses. Transfer case in neutral, tranny in gear, emergency brake off and we are ready to go.

For our base plate, we got a custom bumper from Rockhard with Blue Ox adapters. We hook up with a ready brake elite tow bar and surge brake system. Our lights are wired to our bounder with a Mopar wiring harness (Part # 82211156AB) so no problem with lights. A pretty simple set up that takes maybe 5 minutes to do.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
2008.5 it changed. No longer need the key. Set it up, pull the key, lock the doors and walk away.

Steeljag
Explorer
Explorer
You may receive a quicker answer on the Jeep Wrangler Forum.

Good luck.
2018 Forester 3011DS
2010 Flagstaff 26RLS (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 Screw Ecoboost H/D 3.73
1930 CCC
Going where the weather suits my clothes !

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
The main reason for leaving the key in is to unlock the steering column, but they did away with that on Jeep Wranglers years ago. Did they put that back in for 2015? My 2011 doesn't have it. I two the Jeep without a key but I disconnect the battery because I run the tail and brake lights on the Jeep back to the RV.

Will_Robinson
Explorer
Explorer
I have read the owners manual and it doesn't mention fuses nor does it specifically say the key position. My 2009 required the fuses to be pull so I wanted to make sure that was no longer the case in 2015.
J & S