cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2018 Chevrolet Equinox battery dyeing

dave_from_mesa
Explorer
Explorer
Ok bought this new. installed a Toad Charge. First time out after 6 hrs the battery was dead.
This year stopped at every rest stop and ran the engine for about 20 min ea time. Coming back fro San Antonio Had a dead battery 30 min out and jumped it ran it for 20 min and left for the next rest stop. Dead battery. Had to have wife drive it back to Mesa, az.
Followed Chevy's instructions on how to tow it. Accy mode, Trans in neutral, parking brake off.
What am I doing wrong? Am I the only one having this problem? Is there some fuse to pull?
Am thing of getting a dolly. Don't want to do that but can't change cars.
Help plz
TIa

dave
dave from mesa
Dave & Judy
2011 HR Endeavor 43DFT
2007 Honda CR-V as a toad
Vietnam Vets. Contact the VA if you have prostate cancer or type 2 diabetes you may get compensation.
13 REPLIES 13

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
eric1514 wrote:
This is what I use.

TOAD CHARGE

It's a little bit of wiring but it works.

That seems a bit unnecessary if one's charge line in a standard 7 pin connector is sized and wired correctly. The last time I wired a 7 pin connector I used #10 wire with the appropriate fuse for the charge line and it kept my travel trailer battery fully charged. #12 wire on a 60 foot run like this product has sounds kinda small to do much good charging a battery that has any load on it.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

Geeze
Explorer
Explorer
dave from mesa wrote:
Ok bought this new. installed a Toad Charge. First time out after 6 hrs the battery was dead.
This year stopped at every rest stop and ran the engine for about 20 min ea time. Coming back fro San Antonio Had a dead battery 30 min out and jumped it ran it for 20 min and left for the next rest stop. Dead battery. Had to have wife drive it back to Mesa, az.
Followed Chevy's instructions on how to tow it. Accy mode, Trans in neutral, parking brake off.
What am I doing wrong? Am I the only one having this problem? Is there some fuse to pull?
Am thing of getting a dolly. Don't want to do that but can't change cars.
Help plz
TIa
On the 2020 Equinox you are suppose to pull the fuse for the rear wiper, why who knows.

dave

dave_from_mesa
Explorer
Explorer
eric1514 wrote:
dave from mesa wrote:

Eric
Have one of those and unless it's wired wrong the battery still goes dead.

Did you follow the instructions to wire it? It doesn't use the 7-pin connector. The wires in the umbilical with the 7-pin connectors are too small. You must use the supplied wire and have a second umbilical with it's own connectors.

Or you can wire it up to the 7-pin connector but you still need to use the supplied wire through out. That's how I did it. Here's a pic of my umbilical.

I think I wired it correctly but I connected it straight to the MH battery.
dave from mesa
Dave & Judy
2011 HR Endeavor 43DFT
Vietnam Vets. Contact the VA if you have prostate cancer or type 2 diabetes you may get compensation.

eric1514
Explorer
Explorer
dave from mesa wrote:

Eric

Did you follow the instructions to wire it? It doesn't use the 7-pin connector. The wires in the umbilical with the 7-pin connectors are too small. You must use the supplied wire and have a second umbilical with it's own connectors.

Or you can wire it up to the 7-pin connector but you still need to use the supplied wire through out. That's how I did it. Here's a pic of my umbilical.

2006 Dynamax Isata IE 250
420 Ah batteries
400w Solar

dave_from_mesa
Explorer
Explorer
eric1514 wrote:
This is what I use.

TOAD CHARGE

Eric
dave from mesa
Dave & Judy
2011 HR Endeavor 43DFT

eric1514
Explorer
Explorer
This is what I use.

TOAD CHARGE

2006 Dynamax Isata IE 250
420 Ah batteries
400w Solar

Y-Guy
dave from mesa if you have a voltmeter you can test it (if you are comfortable doing it) if there is no power there are a couple things it may take; either running a line back there or it could be a fuse. I know on some Ford Trucks they didn't ship with the fuse for charging (cheap move on Fords part) but I am unsure if that could be an issue on your rig or not.

Not knowing your electrical knowledge or if you have a voltmeter I'll share that you would want to test the 12V Power pin and the Ground pin.

You could visit and RV show or mobile tech and they can check things out and give you a quote for a new line.

Or as mentioned above and just get a charge box, the problem is that you're probably going to kill the battery faster with frequent complete drains.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
On our GMC Terrain we have the same issues, no biggie as we went to Samsclub and picked up a battery jump box, does double duty as it came with a compressor as well for topping off toad tires. If we happen to go far enough where it does not have enough juice to kick over starter, we simply pop hood and a couple of minutes later we are good to go. From our terrain's owners manual there is a fuse we can pull to alleviate this issue, we still prefer to utilize multifunction battery jump box as needed, too old to be digging out and reinstalling fuse each and every trip we take.

dave_from_mesa
Explorer
Explorer
Y-Guy wrote:
dave have you tested the 7-pin connector on the back of the coach to make sure there is power there? I am assuming you have a 7-pin connector, either way etrailer has some good info on the wiring setup, Trailer Wiring Diagrams scroll down for the Vehicle Side 7-Way

The 7 pin works on all the lights ( blinkers, brake, running lights.) but I don't think it works for charging the battery.
dave from mesa
Dave & Judy
2011 HR Endeavor 43DFT

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Towed our Ford Flex according to specs and it always went dead. Ford says it shouldn't happen. Shows how much they tow. So DH put a battery disconnect (knife blade type) on the battery and we always disconnected. Worked perfectly. It even retains all the pre-sets, etc. He wired the lights directly to the battery so everything still worked, just didn't have a dead battery at the end of the day.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

Nick-B
Explorer
Explorer
The 2018 and newer Equinox and Terrains pull a lot of power in Accy/tow mode. Your charge line might be too small. 12 gauge wire is needed. I've been fine at 5 hours tow time but had a dead battery after 8 hours. I'll always start and run my Nox at 4 hours max unless I'm nearly there.
Nick
1995 Coachmen Santara MB360 w/slide
F53/460 chassis w/tag

wra
Explorer
Explorer
I had a Buick that drained the battery overnight. Testing showed no power drain on the battery. It turned out to be bad voltage regulators. After changing the alternator three times, it still did the same thing. It turned out the "new" regulators in the alternator were bad. It took over a year to solve the problem.

Y-Guy
dave have you tested the 7-pin connector on the back of the coach to make sure there is power there? I am assuming you have a 7-pin connector, either way etrailer has some good info on the wiring setup, Trailer Wiring Diagrams scroll down for the Vehicle Side 7-Way

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon