cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2021 Suburban. How Much Trailer?

TheFifeBand
Explorer
Explorer
I just ordered a 2021 Z71 Suburban with the Max towing package. I donโ€™t have it yet, so I donโ€™t have the details provided on the yellow sticker inside the door. The manufacturer indicates 8,100 lbs as the towing capacity. Total passenger weight is 450 lbs.

I am a complete trailer newbie and do t want to be tricked into buying too big of a trailer by a salesman. I want to know the max weight I can actually tow. Based on manufacturer stats, what should I be looking at? Is 5,000 lbs dry trailer weight my max? Is there a different stat or value I should be looking at? Please help me make a smart decision.
21 REPLIES 21

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Payload will almost certainly be your limiting factor, and you won't know yours until its delivered. You might be able to find a similar equipped one in stock, and check the white and yellow payload sticker in the driver door jamb. With the IRS being all-new, using prior year numbers won't tell us anything useful.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
welcome to the forum
If you don't have any weight specs (GVWR/fawr/rawr/engine size/gear ratio/etc)off the vehicle their is no way we can give you any meaningful recommendations.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
TOOOOO late now but the rule is buy or select the trailer first, then match a tow vehicle to it. If you violate the rule, then you WAIT until you can read the official payload maximum, then look for a trailer.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
You ordered a 2021 Suburban without knowing its payload range? Interesting. 450 pounds โ€œpassengerโ€ weight..whatโ€™s that?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
My sister and BIL use an Expedition EL with the 3.5 EB to tow about a 27' trailer that probably weighs around 6000 loaded. Maybe a bit more. It works pretty well for them but that's probably about where I'd draw the line on a half ton SUV with that kind of wheelbase. Unfortunately if you want an SUV versus a truck you have really limited options for more capable tow vehicles, and most of those options are aging out rapidly.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get all of your tow vehicle numbers together and plug them in here:

Calculator

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations! Love Suburbans

Weakest link in all half tons (even higher class) is the rear axle GAWR. Been a while but IIRC...a half ton Suburban is around 4,xxx lb RGAWR

The main why higher class has +6,000 lb GAWR

Most all full sized TV's have plenty of power...again, the main limiting component is the rear axle

Plus, SUV's with that many seatbelts allows much to be loaded into the TV...and then the trailer tongue weight

Mostly a can do it, but longevity and performance (avoidance, stopping, getting it going after stopping on a steep incline, etc)

Much depends on how you drive, where you tow, how you load...
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...