Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

4 Bikes on luggage rack

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hello All,

Looking for some first hand experience and suggestions. We have a 2018 Outback 325BH that came with a luggage rack mounted to the back. The rack is called "bike rack" in their marketing and is welded directly to the frame and carries a 250lb load capacity. We have used this many times to mount 4 bikes by alternating direction of the bike and ratchet strapping them to the vertical pole that installs on the back side of the rack. The problem is, no matter what we do the bikes destroy each other. Some have areas rubbed down to metal and we have broken cables as well. We have tried pool noddles and blankets but nothing works when they are pulled tight so we are searching for a solution.

What I have seen so far is well mount things like this https://www.amazon.com/Stromberg-Carlson-CC-125-Cargo-Adapter/dp/B007VUXP1S/ref=asc_df_B007VUXP1S/

Has anyone used these? And, if so, how could I fit 4 sets? We know we can actually fit 5 bikes on our rack but that is super tight. Any other ideas for mounting and securing safely but without destroying bikes? We seem to have bad luck with bikes. Seems like any type of rack we buy including some expensive Thule hitch mount for our other car end up causing some sort of damage. Anyway, thought are appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT: Shortened the URL
17 REPLIES 17

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
I would venture that your issues are all caused by your lack of knowledge or skill, and I mean that constructive, not to be mean. Drop by a bike shop and give the guy $20 to come assist you. you should be able to mount bikes so they touch yet do not cause harm. Pipe insulation over frame tubes helps a lot and is used even by those owning $10,000 bikes! Bungee things together so there is no clanking. Keep pedals out of the other bike's spokes. I have never heard of breaking a cable, something went terribly wrong if a cable gets broken (I assume you means the black calbe HOUSING, not the thin wire cable?)

Do you have a receiver hitch on the back of the trailer? I am not sure what you mean by "luggage rack". I assume a receiver hitch with some sort of tray inserted.

At the bike shop again, look at their "tray" type mounts. The ones that hold the bicycle wheels in cradles and hold again at the top of the tire.

The best is the One-Up bike rack, or "1UP". Each bike tray steps up one higher, so when you go up that steep driveway the rear of the rack does not drag as it will if all the trays are the same height. The One-Up can take 6 bikes I think. Each bike tray is modular and can be added or removed.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
How about two bikes on the back and two in the front of the tow vehicle as we do and have for years. Search this Forum for `bike rack' for much more.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
The design is pretty simple and mimics what a parking rack would do. But bikes need to be secured in 2 places - the wheels and the top tube. The bikes not only need to be secure, but in such a way that they stay away from each other. There is a reason good bike racks exist and they are specific to the task. You have a few things competing against you as well. 4 bikes on a single rack is a lot to ask and all the way back at the back of the RV they are subjected to a lot more bouncing around.

You may want to look at something more like this:

tray rack

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS