cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Convection oven exhaust?

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
My trailer AC already has a difficult time keeping up with the heat but the convection oven dumping all the hot fan exhaust into the cabin makes it particularly rough and doesn't make sense to me. Is this what it is supposed to do?
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk
22 REPLIES 22

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
naturist wrote:
Hot weather; itโ€™s why God gave us bbq grills and outdoor kitchens!

And itโ€™s only been 91 here. Those poor folks in the pacific north west . . . .

Amen

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Super_Dave wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
Is the stove under the cook top? If it is. Turn on the exhaust vent fan.

They exhaust fan just seems to filter but also blows back into the space but the convection oven is part of the microwave. I donโ€™t think the trailer has any outside exhaust.

On "most" RVs. there is a flap on the outside just behind the stove hood that you have to open. It is under a cover. snaps shut for travel.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
Pull the oven and see if it has provisions that can be changed to dump the exhaust outside instead of inside. Then decide if you're up to cutting a hole in the sidewall. I did it for a 2008 Tiffin Bus with a convection microwave. Worked fine but drilling that first hole in the side was traumatic.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
I am 100% behind using the bbq and smoker but if I'm grilling burgers, give me the secret to baking the french fries cuz burgers aren't burgers without the fries and onion rings.

Air fryer, set it up outside. Thank me later. Lol, we bring too much **** camping.........
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
In our motorhome, the combination Microwave/Convection oven/fan vents outside and for the most part, I think that's a better system. I'm sure it's cheaper to vent it inside, and that's probably the manufacturer's reason for doing so. Your rig is quite a bit newer than ours, so I'm sure that in that time manufacturer's have found ways to build 'em cheaper in such a way that people won't find out about it until after they've bought 'em. That's just one of the ways they getcha! LOL

I can tell you this, if you ever decide to take it down to take a closer look, I highly recommend you have another STRONG set of arms available to assist you. The units are pretty heavy, but coupled with that is that they're bulky and it's hard to get a good hold on things while you're trying to loosen & remove screws.

Good Luck,

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure your AC could keep up if you are blowing all your cooled air out anyway, hot air would have to come through the cracks to replace the cold air you are blowing out.
Yes, the oven is meant to exhaust behind the stove and the stove to be exhausted out the hood vent. Somewhere manufacturers lost their way.
If you cook a lot then it would be good to add a vent hood that blows outside so the trailer does not smell like food, or that grease does not stick to every surface inside.
Easy to just not use the oven except for sock storage when it is hot.
Sorry, camping involves some compromise.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
I am 100% behind using the bbq and smoker but if I'm grilling burgers, give me the secret to baking the french fries cuz burgers aren't burgers without the fries and onion rings.

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, that must have been some Bean Counters cost cutting to do away with the external exhaust vent. Pretty stupid if you ask me since most campers are only used in warm to hot weather.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Hot weather; itโ€™s why God gave us bbq grills and outdoor kitchens!

The ac in our sticksโ€™nโ€™ bricks gave up the fight a month ago and the replacement has been on back order since June 10. We are using that backyard bbq and might well spend tonight in the camper.

And itโ€™s only been 91 here. Those poor folks in the pacific north west . . . .

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most of the convection/microwaves are made so they can be set up to either recirculate or exhaust externally (I've installed several of them). You could get the external exhaust kit, move the existing baffle plate (or make a new one if necessary), see if there are any frame members in the cut-out area, and convert yours to external exhaust. I gave a broken one to my son-in law. It was set up for external venting. He repaired the oven and installed it in their house which was not set up for external venting. He had no problem switching the oven from external back to internal. It's just a matter of cover up one hole vs. another.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Mel_Stuplich
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
My trailer AC already has a difficult time keeping up with the heat but [COLOR=]the convection oven dumping all the hot fan exhaust into the cabin makes it particularly rough and doesn't make sense to me.Is this what it is supposed to do?

Super Dave,
Vent it to the outside if possible ... or don't cook inside in hot weather.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
You will appreciate all that warm air if it gets cool outside. I just avoid using the convection when it's hot out. Use it all the time when it's cold. I don't think the convection ovens are ever vented outside. They work by circulating hot air. They wouldn't want that mixing with outside air coming in a vent. It would make temperature regulation a problem.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
And of it does have an outside vent, make sure its open. I have to open it with my hand , otherwise the fan can not push it open. Some have slide locks i think , mine has rubber push tabs.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
bob213 wrote:
Many of the new units do not have a thru wall vent. The microwave just filters the air and redistributes it inside the rv. We bought a larger conv/toaster oven and set it up outside when we camp in hot locations. Keeps all the extra heat out of the TT.

Not a bad idea. Just one more thing to store but standing outside in the heat and cooking has to be better than standing in the hot trailer cooking. Lol