cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th wheel tailgate

Whiskey_River
Explorer
Explorer
Any recommendations out there for a 5th wheel tailgate. I am going to get one as I got the Anderson hitch and when backing in with the tail gate down it is very close to the rig.
I have an 08 Dodge Ram w/ Regular cab & 8' bed
13 REPLIES 13

cougar28
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Custom Flow for my 02 Ford. Good tailgates but don't use it anymore. There's times when I need the full gate and just got tired of swapping back and forth. So I just stay with the full gate and really not a big deal with my 5er.
2002 F-250 SD CC 7.3PSD Auto. XLT Short Bed 4X4 Off-Rd.Pkg.Highland Green,Westin Sportsman Grille Guard (Black) RBW Li'l Rocker Slider ,Prodigy Control Towing Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MLOK,Handy 5er tailgate

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Edd505 wrote:
Even with the 5W gate you need to drop it hooking or dropping the 5W. If you don't you will have a V shaped tailgate. That cutout is not deep enough to leave it up and drive out. This was a standard gate but the louvered 5W will do the same thing.
Tailgate

Tailgate damage

I never needed to drop mine to get away from the 5er, the "V" just needs to be deep enough.
While they are nice, besides the rear backup camera, we have a rollup bed cover, and with the 5er TG the back was always wet, with the standard TG bed is dry and can be used as a trunk.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Even with the 5W gate you need to drop it hooking or dropping the 5W. If you don't you will have a V shaped tailgate. That cutout is not deep enough to leave it up and drive out. This was a standard gate but the louvered 5W will do the same thing.
Tailgate

Tailgate damage
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Martyn
Nomad
Nomad
rhagfo wrote:
Super_Dave wrote:
pinesman wrote:
I have been happy with Custom Flow

I had a Custom Flow on the 2001 Ram just as strong as the OEM. With the 2016 Ram I donโ€™t want to loose the backup camera.

Same here - loved my Custom Flow on my 2004 RAM, but with my 2019 RAM I like the backup camera too much! ๐Ÿ™‚
2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS;
2019 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 6.4 Hemi BigHorn;
DEMCO Autoslide; 2 Honda EU2000i's;
Our Website

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Super_Dave wrote:
pinesman wrote:

I really liked the looks of the Husky Liner tailgates but couldn't find them in stock so also went with the custom flow. Other than scratching easily, it does the job.

I had a Custom Flow on the 2001 Ram just as strong as the OEM. With the 2016 Ram I donโ€™t want to loose the backup camera.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Whiskey_River
Explorer
Explorer
OK Thanks all. Still looking, but I have to get one.
I moved the 5er yesterday and I have to back under, then put the tail gate back up and continue to back under the rig. Its just to close to the 5er with the tail gate down. If not square with the rig, it will hit for sure.
The Anderson hitch is not like the typical 5er hitch that you have to just get close and back up and it goes into the latch. Anderson is a goose neck ball. But it only weighs 40 pounds and says it is good for 20,000# and 4500# on the pin. So weighing only 40 pounds its easy to take out of the truck and store. Don't need 3 men & a boy to remove it...

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingbob wrote:
I cut a piece of plywood the correct size and spent the money that I saved on Diet Pepsi or some other beverage .

3/4" plywood was $100/sheet at Home Depot last week. Not a lot of savings for a hillbilly tailgate.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
I cut a piece of plywood the correct size and spent the money that I saved on Diet Pepsi or some other beverage .

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
WNYBob wrote:
Maybe something like this will work for you.
Tailgate @ eTrailer

I believe that this is one of the 100 pound weight capacity tailgates

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
pinesman wrote:

I really liked the looks of the Husky Liner tailgates but couldn't find them in stock so also went with the custom flow. Other than scratching easily, it does the job.

pinesman
Explorer
Explorer

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe something like this will work for you.
Tailgate @ eTrailer

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
I was in the very same situation. Be careful to look at the weight limits of the various 5th wheel tailgates. Many of the cheap ones are limited to 100 pounds. I went with one rated for 200 pounds and I can at least stand on it briefly.