cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Actual hitch weight

a-d-s
Explorer
Explorer
Because I like numbers, and for those who are unsure of manufacturer's rated dry hitch weights vs the real numbers:

Our (new to us) Coleman 262BH has a Dry Hitch weight of 752 lbs. Last night I weighed it with a Sherline scale at 975 lbs all loaded up ready to camp. Fresh water was full, 2 x 6v batteries, 2 x 20 lb propane tanks (one full, one half), and all our normal camping stuff loaded up.

More scale weights to come as I get the hitch all setup (Reese Dual Cam 1200 lb bars). Initial drive with the old 800 lb bars felt fine and not too different from our last trailer (Hideout 24BH).
2021 F-150 HDPP EcoBoost
2016 Coleman 262BH
Reese Dual Cam - 1200lb
6 REPLIES 6

a-d-s
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Scottg, thanks for the offer but I've already got the bars. Would have been with the drive down to Bothel!
2021 F-150 HDPP EcoBoost
2016 Coleman 262BH
Reese Dual Cam - 1200lb

a-d-s
Explorer
Explorer
I think you guys are reading it wrong, the dry weight from the manufacturer is 5744lbs...the GVWR is something like 7600 lbs (I forget what the sticker says). Anyway, as one of the poster said, 6v batteries, mostly full propane, some stuff under the bed and in the pass through. It all makes sense to me.

My previous trailer was 4600 lbs dry (manufacturer rating), loaded up was 6100 lbs on the scales and 800lbs on the tongue. So I think directionally this sounds about right for the new one.
2021 F-150 HDPP EcoBoost
2016 Coleman 262BH
Reese Dual Cam - 1200lb

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Even at 12% tongue weight with the trailer at its 5900lb GVWR the tongue weight should be approx 710lbs! I donโ€™t know what your trailers loaded for travel weight is but you need to redistribute some weight in the trailer.
Iโ€™m at 9200lbs loaded for a trip with a tongue approx 1200lbs.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
troubledwaters wrote:
That means you put about 2,000ยฑ lbs of stuff in a 26-foot trailer? You got to be kidding.

Where do you get that from? All he did was add some weight in front of the axles. about 140# was just the batteries and propane. 130# more for some gear.

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III
That means you put about 2,000ยฑ lbs of stuff in a 26-foot trailer? You got to be kidding.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Have you gotten the 1200# bars yet?
If not, I have a set you or anyone else can have for free. (We upgraded to 1400# bars).

Scott