Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Acura MDX

alluran
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all.

I am thinking of towing my 2005 MDX with a 2004 Fleetwood 38' whats involved in towing it???

Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5

ferg24
Explorer
Explorer
Dave in TN wrote:
I used to tow a 2005 MDX. It towed beautifully. I had a Blue Ox Aventa tow bar and baseplate system that worked well. And I used a Brake Buddy for the MDX braking.

Do you have your original owners manual? There are specific steps to run the transmission through prior to towing that are very important so as not to damage the transmission.

Do you recall how you had the brake buddy set up for the MDX? What sensitivity and air pressure?

Bob___Ann
Explorer
Explorer
I checked on our 2012 MDX and the manual states that it can not be towed 4 down. I called Acura and was told the AWD system is not set up for such.
Bob and Ann
Schnauzer - Della (Rainbow B 3/31/17)
Chihuahua - Lola (Rainbow B 12/26/18)
Autumn-Red Poodle
2019 Tiffin 40 IP Bus
Powerglide Chassis
Cummins 450
Onan 10,000 Watt
Four Slide/ 1.5 Bath
2021 Jeep Unlimited Sahara Toad
Demco Dominator & Airforce One

Dave_in_TN
Nomad
Nomad
I used to tow a 2005 MDX. It towed beautifully. I had a Blue Ox Aventa tow bar and baseplate system that worked well. And I used a Brake Buddy for the MDX braking.

Do you have your original owners manual? There are specific steps to run the transmission through prior to towing that are very important so as not to damage the transmission.
Dave & Christy / 5 Awesome Girls (28,26,24, 18 and 16)
2021 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS
2019 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 2013 RDX specifically says not to tow it with 4 wheels down. Front wheels up is OK. You probably should just give Acura a call to find out for sure. Call a local Honda dealer if you can't find Acura.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

Fishinghat
Explorer II
Explorer II
I believe the MDX is related to the Honda Pilot, which could be towed up to about 2005, when Honda dropped the recommendation. The discussions on this forum suggested it was due to frame seperation rather than transaxle/transmission or suspension problems.

If you still want to do it, you'll need a baseplate (the thing that stays on your MDX and allows the tow bar to connect to the car), a wiring harness and connection to operate the rear brake lights, as well as a tow bar. You should also have a braking system on the MDX to help stop the combination. There are several, and some like the "box" you can put in between the seat the the brake pedal. Several of my friends have had problems with the box set up and have gone to systems that are premanent and under the hood. I use the Roadmaster 9000 just because my toad has a braking system that can't use the under hood type.
Holiday Rambler Navigator DP, Hummer, and Honda VT1100C Shadow