cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Advice on building a gravel parking pad

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
If all goes well this fall, i will be installing a gravel parking pad for the RV. It will be 36ft long, by 12ft wide. And will make it 4 inches deep. Rough estimate of 3/4 crushed stone needed is 4 yards. I want to dig down 4 inches, tamp down the soil and put 2 layers of landscaping fabric for weed control, then just have the stone brought in. This pad wont be used like a driveway, the RV will just be backed up onto it, and then when we leave for a trip driven out off of it. That is why im not thinking about putting down layers of base materials first. Edging will most likely be pressure treated 2x6's. Anyways, advice and or ideas are welcome

Thanks
Proud father of a US Marine
17 REPLIES 17

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
In making our pad I leveled and compat6ed the area with our tractor and then layed 2-4 inches of number 2 gravel with no edging. I did not use any fabric, if weeds come up a little weed killer takes care of it. I've added a little gravel in spots over the years especially after heavy rainy seasons and the gravel settled some. Seven years and mostly maintainence free.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't build a pad but, I did cover a large area I use for parking my car/truck and RV with 2B gravel. I just scraped off the grass and about an inch of dirt before pouring the gravel. It varies from about 2-4 inches deep. It works great and drains well.
I didn't use weed stop fabric. I get some weeds but, I just spray them with weed killer every few weeks. It's much easier than cutting grass.
You'll like your pad.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Get "crusher run" as it will compact better and you might as well go 6" as a single axle dump truck holds 6 yards. I would not worry about tamping it down although I would run the RV back and forth several times before putting the fabric down...leave any ruts it makes.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...