cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Brake Buddies, BrakePro, raodmaster, evenbrake ???

BobnSofi
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,

Just picked up a 2016 Ford Edge for our pusher to drag... to prepare for some long haul'n.

In the past we have always had light Towds and towd in an assisted braking exempt state.

So here we go...

??? What system do you all pros suggest ???

??? links to learn, which & why ???

thanks to those of you posting with experience/knowledge
thanks to those of you not posting otherwise
24 REPLIES 24

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
mowermech wrote:
Montana's Braking Performance Law (MCA 61-9-312) is quite simply stated.
I have no idea what the Virginia Legislature had in mind when they passed 46.2-880. It sure does contain a lot of information, though!

I googled that number and just got a page full of scattered numbers. but I question if VA legislature has a mind. ๐Ÿ™‚

but (just guessing here) that these state performance laws merely state that the unit must be able to brake to a stop in x ft at x mph? really has no relationship as to how much the toad needs to add if any, just covers the entire unit? but a stop from 20 mph seems to me to be a joke, at 20 mph I consider myself to be virtually stopped already. ๐Ÿ™‚
bumpy

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Montana's Braking Performance Law (MCA 61-9-312) is quite simply stated.
I have no idea what the Virginia Legislature had in mind when they passed 46.2-880. It sure does contain a lot of information, though!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
checked out Code of Virginia 46.2-880. can somebody explain what that bunch of gobbledygoop says/means?
bumpy

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
mowermech wrote:
Why 20 MPH? Well, probably because that is what most state Braking Performance Laws (and the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) specify in the test parameters.

Refer to the Code of Virginia 46.2-880

seems like a useless test to me. 20 mph works in a school zone. ๐Ÿ™‚
bumpy

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Why 20 MPH? Well, probably because that is what most state Braking Performance Laws (and the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) specify in the test parameters.

Refer to the Code of Virginia 46.2-880
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
Pretty easy to test ,how far did you travel at a given speed say 20 mph with out tow brakes and compare that with tow brakes.

and this matters because? I know I stopped quicker with toad brakes activated. why 20 mph? why not 15? why not 35? and with no braking system you have no breakaway protection.
and NWIH am I going to jam on my brakes to a total lock up under multiple sets of conditions.
bumpy

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Pretty easy to test ,how far did you travel at a given speed say 20 mph with out tow brakes and compare that with tow brakes.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
exactly how and why would you test the braking distance (other than in a state where it is required). when I am exiting the interstate and go up the ramp when I apply my rv brakes I can feel the toad brakes also grab. I know it is beneficial. why do I care if it is 15 ft or 20 ft. I am better off than without the braking system. also I used a breakaway system JIC.
but folks here will spend $8,000 for a fancy paint job but not $1200 for a braking system.
bumpy

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
What usually does not get discussed in these threads is what is the GVWR of your MH and what does your toad weigh? We live in America and everyone thinks differently which is good. I have heard of many problems on here and with friends that tow with these systems. Personally I would buy a steel tow bar over Al they are rated much higher. My steel tow bar is rated for 10,500 lbs and my tow car weighs 2400 lbs well within the GVWR of the MH. Always check the tow plate and hitch for bolt torque they can loosen. When and if I buy a new MH I will tow my wife's CRV which is heavier and get the Ready Brute which is steel and does not apply the toad brake except in hard stops. What i have not seen posted is someone on this forum that has tested the stopping distance with and without the brake system. I would not trust mfg web sites as Mowertech already posted they are misleading.

F1bNorm
Explorer
Explorer
mowermech wrote:
If I ever buy such an "auxiliary braking system", it will be the Ready Brute or Ready Brake system from NSA.
The Ready Brute is a complete towing system; towbar, braking system, etc. ready to install.
The Ready Brake is a ball mount and cable to be used with any towbar.
Both system,s are simple, mechanical, relatively easy to install, and there have been few reports of failures.
No electronics to short out, no compressors to wear out, no heavy boxes to wrestle with, just a simple mechanical surge brake system that works.

Very few states have a law requiring an auxiliary braking system on towed passenger vehicles.

X2-3! Nothing goes on the cockpit floor, so nothing to move or store. Also no electrical hookup needed for brake function.
F1BNorm

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Nutinelse2do wrote:
mowermech, We will just continue to use our RVI 3 braking system, with a breakaway cable, and be legal everywhere.

In towing, It doesn't matter what State you are from, like a drivers license for a vehicle over 26k, it depends what State you are in at the time.

Here's the Brake Buddy tow guide, that specially states, if " what you are towing " is at or over the listed weightsBrake Buddy tow guide

To each his own. It's a safety issue. It's already dangerous enough out there driving these rigs around. Why chance it?

Happy camping and safe travels

Once again, thata Brake Buddy tow guide is at best incomplete, at worst simply false. I already gave the applicable Montana laws that prove it.
Of course you (and everybody else) are free to do whatever you want and use whatever you want regarding an auxiliary braking system. Just remember, very few states and the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards do not require such systems UNLESS you can not meet the braking performance requirements.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nutinelse2do wrote:
mowermech, We will just continue to use our RVI 3 braking system, with a breakaway cable, and be legal everywhere.

In towing, It doesn't matter what State you are from, like a drivers license for a vehicle over 26k, it depends what State you are in at the time.

Here's the Brake Buddy tow guide, that specially states, if " what you are towing " is at or over the listed weightsBrake Buddy tow guide

To each his own. It's a safety issue. It's already dangerous enough out there driving these rigs around. Why chance it?

...As mowermech pointed out, you have to be careful when you quote 'towing laws' posted on the websites of brake system manufacturers. Its a little like asking a drug dealer if what they sell is addictive or not. The 'advice' given there is going to be just a little skewed, and not very reliable. ๐Ÿ™‚

If you feel better using a brake system, by all means, use it and enjoy. They probably are a good idea in most cases. We use a ReadyBrake system (ReadyBrute tow bar), and are very happy with it.

However, don't be misled into thinking that such systems are required by law in 'most states', because it just isn't true. As mowermech pointed out so well, when you really look close at the REAL laws (not brake system manufacturer's lose interpretation of such), you're going to find that the majority of states do NOT require such. And, in the states that they are required, the laws are frequently sooo vague, they are just about impossible to enforce, anyway.

If you do get a system, I recommend systems that are not a 'brake in a box' type setup that you have to put in and take out each time you tow. Problem with those is, having to constantly install and set it up, you introduce a lot of extra risk there for not doing something right one time, and potentially causing bigger problems than not having a system at all. That, and there is the temptation, that for shorter trips, you may decide not to put it in at all. And, Murphy's law is that such a trip would be the one where you'd wish you had put it in!

Better to have a system that stays installed, and all you have to do is plug it in or hook it up and go. That way its always installed and working when you tow. Systems of that nature include Air Force One, M&G, Readybrake, Invisibrake, etc.
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer

Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
rvi2, I have 2 toads and it is so small and light.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado