cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Alternative to the Grapevine LA to Central Valley

Off_we_go
Explorer
Explorer
We're pretty new to the RV life and planning to go full time next year so we're taking a lot of weekend trips. We're meeting friends in Sonora this weekend and don't want to go the Grapevine. Just curious if Hwy 41 from Atascadero to Fresno is a good alternative.

We have a 33 ft Jayco Jay Flight - not to heavy but not ready for the "big time" grades yet.

Thanks for any advice.
17 REPLIES 17

Geocritter
Explorer
Explorer
I just went down the I-5 grapevine 2 weeks ago with my 33' 1994 Holiday Rambler towing a 2005 Dodge Caravan/tow dolly with a motorcycle inside the Caravan. At the top I simply took it out of over-drive, shifted to a lower gear and off I went (YEEHAAA!). Whenever I felt uncomfortable with my speed I'd slow it down 5-10mph with the brakes. I had absolutely no problems. If I did have problems, about 3/4 of the way down there's a "runaway truck" ramp you can drive onto that'll stop you.
Steve
PS Before the trip I swapped out my 20 year old DOT 3 brake fluid for DOT 5.1 (not DOT 5) severe-duty hi-temperature brake fluid. That gave me a lot more confidence starting out.

koda55
Explorer
Explorer
As mentioned just gear down. If you find that your are starting to go to fast push on your brakes relatively hard until you are 5 to 10 miles under the speed limit them release them. DONOT ride your brakes they will heat up and you will loose all braking.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
samsontdog wrote:
I have towed a 34 ft TT over the grapevine several times a year for over 16 yrs and to me its a piece of cake !!! That's the way I would go if I was you

"The news media incorrectly refers to the entire Ridge Route as - The Grapevine".

Did same (as above) with RVs beginning in 1970 with "gassers".

Before that, towed "bumper pull" race car haulers - to
Famosa March Meet(s) in Bakersfield. Race car had tach - TV didn't.

First TV with a tach was an '85 Ferd diesel.

YIKES!
HOW did I manage without a tachometer?

It's no big deal..;)

As a poster stated, "The Grapevine" is an old, *OLD* term that "stuck" from the original road - a term for a *portion* of the Ridge Route & I-5.

The Ridge Route - and "The Grapevine"

No need for alternate routes, gear down to maintain a safe speed (for you and conditions).

If that gets to be too fast - brake & shift to the next lower gear - even if it seems *really* slow. No tach necessary..;)

If other traffic wants/needs to pass - they will.

~

Nunyadamn
Explorer
Explorer
Off_we_go wrote:
Thanks for the advice - my husband was saying Cajon Pass and then north through Tehachapi but I was afraid that might be too steep as well. I'm a coward right now but I'll get used to it. Sure wish there was an app or book about routes and elevations, etc. We broke down on the Grapevine once and ever since then I have hated that route......

It is not exactly the best, but google maps will show you elevations (and routes). Just zoom in using the map view (not satellite view). The font is really small and blends into the map colors, but it is there. I have not tried it on my phone.
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS
2015 Ford F250 Lariat 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7L Powerstroke

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
So if you live in Granada Hills, CA, just head up I-5 and then pick up 99 on North, as it is in better shape than I-5 in the central valley.

What is your tow vehicle?

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
What is now called the Grapevine is the Interstate that replaced the highway through the Grapevine. That was the highway got replaced, the name of the notoriously dangerous route stuck.

If you don't use the Interstate, you'll usually end up on something more like what the road was when it was really the Grapevine highway.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Off_we_go wrote:
Thanks for the advice - my husband was saying Cajon Pass and then north through Tehachapi but I was afraid that might be too steep as well. I'm a coward right now but I'll get used to it. Sure wish there was an app or book about routes and elevations, etc. We broke down on the Grapevine once and ever since then I have hated that route......

The wife and I broke down once on the grapvine too (broke a leaf spring on the trailer) and were delayed about 8 hours. I know where you're coming from, but I would not hesitate to take that route again. Understandable if you don't want to, but know that all the alternative routes take a lot of time. Good luck to you. BTW, Cajon pass, which is in my backyard, is as steep or steeper than the grapvine, just not as long.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

davidaf
Explorer
Explorer
Conquer the grapevine, you'll be happy you did. Just take it slow in the truck lane and don't ride the brake (see opnspaces speed control method above, exactly what I do). Remember the speed limit is 35 in that lane no need to worry about the folks in the other lane. That 35mph limit gives you the perfect excuse to take is slow and safe, it's almost like they gave you training wheels. Once you make it down you'll wonder why you were so stressed (at least I was).
2016 - Heartland Landmark Newport
2006 - Lance 1181
2005 - Fleetwood Prowler AX6 365BSQS - San Felipe Mexico Getaway!
2016 - Ram 3500 DRW

Off_we_go
Explorer
Explorer
Great book! Thank you! And you're right about getting back on the bike....getting older is not for the weak of heart. We're hoping to do this full time so I better stop whining I guess. :B

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Off_we_go wrote:
Sure wish there was an app or book about routes and elevations, etc. We broke down on the Grapevine once and ever since then I have hated that route......

As far a breaking down... time to get right back up on that bike and start peddling.

Off_we_go
Explorer
Explorer
Really? Ours is 33 ft. - I'm probably over-reacting. Samsondog, since you live in Oregon/Washington area what do you think of Siskiyou? We are going to Portland in July.

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
I have towed a 34 ft TT over the grapevine several times a year for over 16 yrs and to me its a piece of cake !!! That's the way I would go if I was you
samsontdog:o:W

Off_we_go
Explorer
Explorer

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Should be an easy decent at 35 mph in the truckers' lane. Use 2nd gear.
It is just 6% for a few miles... not exactly big time.

You mean 101, Tascadero, 41, Fresno? Easily take twice as long IMO and you will still have a few grades. I would recommend 14, 58, Tehachapi, Bakersfield, 99, Fresno first.