cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AM/FM low mount antenna options

Nevadastars
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I ripped off the lame flex antenna pulling our just purchased Wildcat fiver out of our metal cover. Seems the spring on the antenna was stronger than the OSB roof the mount was screwed into. I had planned on replacing it, but this just sped up the process.

Does anyone have any good recommendations for an antenna that is fairly low? Also, I will some how have to repair the coax end that got ripped off with the antenna. I attached a pic of the damage. Thanks for any suggestions.

2016 Forest River Wildcat Maxx 262RGX 8,268 UVW 11,754 GVWR
2007 Ram 2500 QC SB 4x4 Smarty tuned 5.9 Cummins
B&W Turnover Ball & Andersen Ultimate
4 REPLIES 4

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Many cars with the stubby antennas have antenna amplifiers in the base of the stubby bit. Maybe you could find one of those from a junkyard and run 12v power for the amplifier up to it to get reasonable reception. It might need a metal ground plane to work effectively.

For FM reception, your TV antenna will usually work pretty well since the FM broadcast band is right smack in the middle of the VHF television band, between channels six and seven if I recall properly.

voyaginator
Explorer
Explorer
Nevadastars wrote:

Does anyone have any good recommendations for an antenna that is fairly low? Also, I will some how have to repair the coax end that got ripped off with the antenna.

AM reception (not talking about amplitude modulation transmission) is usually not a problem. However, FM reception range is limited, higher quality but shorter range.

One option for a fairly low (but not small antenna), yet with 4db gain, 360 all-around, (50 miles reception) is a round dipole.
Omnidirectional FM Reception Antenna
Just under $30, not so cheap, but solid and easy to install, and found it good to resist high winds.:)

Comes with a 75 ohms female coaxial cable connector.
Mounted mine on a telescopic fiber-glass painter's pole at the rear to extend the reception range.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would look at, I think it is Volkswagen who SIDE MOUNTED the antenna on many cars.. And do likewise. Jeep did this too

Here are links to what I'm speaking of.

The Jeep version on Amazon

And the Volkswagen version also at Amazon
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
My trailer had a wire laid flat in the rafters. It actually worked pretty well.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE