cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Any benefits to high octane

tbolt2000
Explorer
Explorer
Are there any benefit to running octane gas when towing? I had heard when towing use high octane gas.
I've done so much with so little for so long, I'm now qualified to do anything with nothing.
40 REPLIES 40

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Winged One wrote:
tbolt2000 wrote:
Are there any benefit to running octane gas when towing? I had heard when towing use high octane gas.

Those days are gone.

I had a 70 Plymouth (liked high octane) that I decided to try a little mid grade in, just to see. Dear lord, you would think I put a bucket of screws down the carb's throat, for the fit it was throwing. Racing gas raised the octane enough not to kill the car.

You will know if you are running too little octane.

No, you probably won't know if the octane is too low. Horsepower, fuel mileage and engine life will suffer but you won't know without careful checking.

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
tbolt2000 wrote:

Those days are gone.

I had a 70 Plymouth (liked high octane) that I decided to try a little mid grade in, just to see. Dear lord, you would think I put a bucket of screws down the carb's throat, for the fit it was throwing. Racing gas raised the octane enough not to kill the car.

You will know if you are running too little octane.
2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Not unless the maker requires it in which case you bought the wrong truck IMO.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
No. Computer controlled engines adjust their spark timing to eliminate preignition under heavy load.

That's true, but it can't adjust the compression ratio. Knocking can be caused by other factors besides spark timing. Ford recommends premium fuel for the little Eco-Boost engine due to the very high cylinder pressures.

Mark_Kovalsky
Explorer
Explorer
You don't need higher octane in high altitude. The mean effective pressure in the cylinder is lower due to the lower density air, so you actually can use lower octane fuel. That's why the octane ratings at the gas stations at high altitude are lower than at sea level.
Mark

Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer, 1988-2007

icanon
Explorer
Explorer
I use what the manufacture suggests. Only time I use a higher octane is when I know I'm driving in high altitude.
Loving wife and 2 beautiful daughters.
Chocolate Lab, Lily
2014 Dodge Ram Laramie Hemi 5.7 with 3.92
2014 Dutchmen Kodiak 290BHSL
ProPride 3P Hitch
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C
Love my Weber Q1200
Me a Happy man on retirement!!!

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
No. Computer controlled engines adjust their spark timing to eliminate preignition under heavy load.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
My manual "suggests" higher octane when towing. I've tried both and haven't found the extra expense was worth it. No real noticeable difference in power or mpg.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
no
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
Use what the manufacturer calls for in the manual.

This. If you are on the ragged edge of needing higher octane gas your engine will TELL you so with a pinging or knocking sound under load. There is NO other reason to pay for octane that you don't need.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Use what the manufacturer calls for in the manual.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro