cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any experience renting out your motorhome?

chasloew
Explorer
Explorer
I’m a newbie with a question about rentals. Years ago, my wife and I spent over a month traveling in a friend’s motorhome. Now that we’re retired, we’d like to have our own for several trips a year. To help with expenses, we’d like to use a peer-to-peer rental service like Outdoorsy or RVshare. I’ve read glowing reports on their sites about the money that can be made, but I’m sure they’re biased. I’m also aware that many advise against this without having done it.

We’d like to get unbiased advice and experiences -- both pro and con -- from those who have actually used these services. We’re in a mid-sized city in the Midwest. We think a small used motorhome that sleeps at least 4 might be good, but want to know what makes the most sense financially and what potential there is. If you've done this, we'd really like to hear from you.

Thanks, Charlie
37 REPLIES 37

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
He's going to "show them" how to use the lights, toilet, the stereo and maybe the grill. They aren't going anywhere and they aren't dumping the tanks, it is a home base for tailgating.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
apr67 wrote:
I'm hoping to rent ours, but not for folks to take trips in. College football is big here, and I would take it out to the parking lot, set it up and show them how to use it. Hell for enough money I will even stock and provision it with beer.

I'm trying to envision this. In a parking lot, what exactly can you show them that they would pay money to learn? From my experience, the things people want help with are: backing up a trailer and emptying black/grey tanks. The rest is usually handled by the seller/dealer when they buy an RV.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

apr67
Explorer
Explorer
I'm hoping to rent ours, but not for folks to take trips in. College football is big here, and I would take it out to the parking lot, set it up and show them how to use it. Hell for enough money I will even stock and provision it with beer.
2017 Thor Hurricane 34J
Gone-2014 Chevy Express 3500
Gone-2016 Jayco White Hawk 32DSBH
Gone-2013 Keystone Bullet 294BHS
Gone-2007 National SurfSide 34DE
Gone-2006 ForestRiver Sunseeker 2900LTD
Gone-1994 Fleetwood PaceArrow
Gone-1978 Kit RoadRanger

DSteiner51
Explorer
Explorer
A friend rented their class C out last year, early summer. Got it back with everything above the roof and roof membrane replaced just in time for storage last fall.
D. Steiner
The sooner I fall behind, the more time I have to catch up.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
I know a few places that have rentals...but what they do is keep an eye on the used market, buy cheap and just do enough to keep them functional. They also dump them (often on the renters who want to get their own).

This works because they keep costs way down. To buy a new or even nice used and it becomes a losing proposition.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
chasloew wrote:

I have rented out apartments for years, so I know there's both good and bad renters. I'd start with a used one for sure. The rental brokers indicate that they provide insurance but I'll check for sure. Thanks! -- Charlie

nearly all people know how an apartment works. the same can't be said for operating a RV.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
punomatic wrote:
Here's another thing to consider. I had a friend who rented out his sailboat. He was audited by the IRS every year he did. If you want to rent it out, I don't think you can do it safely without making it a business venture so you can get proper insurance, etc. If you do that the IRS will hound you. YMMV

That must have been a long time ago. The current administration has gutted the IRS.

They are a shadow of their former selves.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I know someone who has a small RV rental business. He makes enough money to keep doing it. However, he has about eight different rigs of various sizes. He only keeps them up to 5 years because they are trashed by then. I saw one that was on it's last six months in the rental fleet. It looked older and more worn at 5 years than my clipper does at 43 years.

I wouldn't do it. My logic is that I don't want to have a trip planned for July, rent it out in May and then have to spend the next several weeks repairing damage done by the renter just so I can go on my trip.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

chasloew
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks punomatic! It seems that the agencies provide some insurance, but I'd check on that and possibly set up an LLC, depending on my attorney's advice. I've filed both business income and rental property taxes for years. It's no fun but it boils down to: keep records and don't cheat.

punomatic
Explorer
Explorer
Here's another thing to consider. I had a friend who rented out his sailboat. He was audited by the IRS every year he did. If you want to rent it out, I don't think you can do it safely without making it a business venture so you can get proper insurance, etc. If you do that the IRS will hound you. YMMV
DW and Me
2016 Riverside White Water Retro 195
2014 Nissan Titan SL Crew Cab
Formerly, I used to work for the department of redundancy department.

Life in Black and Blue

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
micpib1 wrote:
While we were traveling off-road in Death Valley, in our Jeep Wrangler 4X4, I was feeling quite accomplished with my little Jeep after finishing a fairly rough and steep road. As we got to the end of this dirt/rock road, I caught up with a guy in a Rental Class C that had just accomplished the same road. I decided then, no one else would be using my hard earned Motorhome. JH

Reminds me of a question someone posted on the forum several years ago.
Q: What is the difference between an All Terrain Vehicle and a rental RV?
A: The rental RV can go anywhere.

And there is the possibility of Bed Bugs. 😉

micpib1
Explorer
Explorer
While we were traveling off-road in Death Valley, in our Jeep Wrangler 4X4, I was feeling quite accomplished with my little Jeep after finishing a fairly rough and steep road. As we got to the end of this dirt/rock road, I caught up with a guy in a Rental Class C that had just accomplished the same road. I decided then, no one else would be using my hard earned Motorhome. JH

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Rented my TT once, to a friend . Never again.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would never rent out my personal RV to strangers. A big advantage of RVing is having a bed, bathroom and living area that hasn’t been “soiled” by a bunch of strangers like a motel room.

Renting out can be profitable I’m sure. If I were younger, to have a some RVs to place strategically around central Florida could be lucrative. Easily get $1000 a week.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
buy a older rv that you can afford ,then you don,t have to worry about it.