Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Any fixes for Dometic SS fridge door severley scratched

chilibean
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,

I have a 2007 Dometic Refrigerator model RM3962 with wrap around Platinum Stainless Steel. The door got a nasty scratch in it, and me being the DIY I am, I decided to try to fix it. Um, nope! Made it oh-so-much worse. Dometic quoted me $986.00 plus shipping:E for a set, but I only need the fridge section. I have not called local RV dealers yet to find out if they can order me one because I know that will still be a lot of $$$. I was thinking about the Thomas Stainless Steel paint, but there are mixed reviews on that, plus it would not be anywhere near the color of the freezer door. I called a local appliance repair shop but they would not touch it. My thinking is now maybe replacing both the panels, but I am not sure if I can do that with the current wrap around. Has anyone here replaced door panels? Or, does anyone have any other ideas? I have lost sleep over this, and feel sick to my stomach every time I look at it. Searching the internet I know I am not alone in ruining a ss door, but that is little comfort knowing this might be a horribly expensive fix. Any ideas or insights are welcome.

Sharon
Alan & Sharon
16 REPLIES 16

rkentzel
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.amazon.com/Scratch-B-Gone-Stainless-Steel-Scratch-Repair/dp/B000MMWBK8

Use to use this stuff when I was in appliance repair business business
1997 Pursuit class A

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
How about a bumper sticker or a decal from some favorite vacation spot? You will know what is behind the sticker but nobody else will. :C
Gene and DW Ginny
[purple] 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363[/purple]

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control

Proud member of the Sunline Club

chilibean
Explorer
Explorer
I had actually thought of doing this, and I still might. I guess I just need to call around to see if they would even look at it.
Thanks Can-AmDuo
Alan & Sharon

Can-AmDuo
Explorer
Explorer
Try taking it to an auto body shop. They are great at matching colors.
Life is partly what we make it, and partly what it is made by the friends we choose.

chilibean
Explorer
Explorer
HAHAHA @Rick Jay. I can relate ๐Ÿ™‚

I tried to take pictures but there was just too much glare and I did not have room to get it right.

So here is what I have so far;

There is a company online that specializes in skins for refrigerators and other appliances. They run about $90-$100. Not bad. That is a possibility.

I put the word out in my area for metal work to make new panels, but that has not produced any results yet.

I took a maroon scotch-brite for metals and a block of wood and lightly ran it straight up from bottom to top to even out the previous marks I had put on. I am now looking online for the best topcoat to put on over that, as once I went over it with the maroon pad it did not look as horrible as before. There is a spot on the lower corner that I had taken it down to the black steel, (practicing with different pads), so I am going to try to fudge that spot with a Stainless Steel or Metal Flake paint. I figure now I am going to see what it looks like after I topcoat it, and if it is still not to my liking I will purchase a vinyl skin. They have all sorts of designs, and lots of artwork, so that could actually be kind of neat looking. I do not know if I can say what that company is on this forum, so maybe PM me if you are interested.

I so wish I had researched the Dometic fridge more, and that the Platinum Stainless Steel is actually a coating on black steel. I would have saved myself so much grief.

Does anyone here know of a good topcoat for what I am doing? I am not sure if Krylon or Rustoleum are actually the products I want to use. Maybe I am over- thinking this.

Thanks again for all the suggestions, and some needed comic relief. Oh if only I could go back in time ๐Ÿ˜•
Alan & Sharon

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
Probably won't help, but invite my wife over and within minutes she'll have so many refrigerator magnets on it you won't even be able to tell what color the fridge is! LOL ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
I used to pick up at a place that made a boom winch thing so people could pick up little boats from a bigger boats with this winch type thing, all stainless steel hoist boom. They would rub them out with "jewlers rouge" and a buffing pad to a like mirror finish that didn't show any scratches at all. They looked like a chrome piece of metal when they got done.

But if scratches were deep into finish that might change things.

Find your favorite pic and put it on a thumb driver and take it to a Staples store and have them blow it up to the size you need for your purpose.

lots of info here https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=buffing+out+stainless+steel+scratches and here

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=how+do+you+remove+scratches+from+stainless+steel+refrigerator
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

path1
Explorer
Explorer
(sorry, double post)
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
We had a Dometic fridge in our rig. It had the veneered walnut front panels. The fridge ( 2001 vintage) died and was replaced in 2012, but the old door panels were installed on the new fridge.

I don't know if the type of fridge you have has removable "decor" panels or not, but it might be worth a visit to a good repair shop to find out. They were a common feature. I think the panels could be removed and replaced by taking off the chrome strip that the handles to open the doors were attached to.
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

chilibean
Explorer
Explorer
As embarrassed as I am with what I have done, a picture would probably help. I will try to get one posted tomorrow.
Alan & Sharon

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
yes to overlaying with something that suits your fancy.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
chilibean wrote:
OK, good idea. This is why I love this forum ๐Ÿ™‚ Now to find one.

And yes, adding a panel to the center might work too. It is only the face that is damaged. I have also seen online that there are skins that can be applied, some with designs, but not sure how they would look in person.

Maybe you won't even need to cut the center section out, just over-lay it with something & add trim.
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

westend
Explorer
Explorer
How DIY friendly are you with metal work? You could probably put a brushed finish on the door panel that would eliminate most of the scratch or botched repair job.
Can you post a picture of the door panel?
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

chilibean
Explorer
Explorer
OK, good idea. This is why I love this forum ๐Ÿ™‚ Now to find one.

And yes, adding a panel to the center might work too. It is only the face that is damaged. I have also seen online that there are skins that can be applied, some with designs, but not sure how they would look in person.
Alan & Sharon