cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone towing the new Jeep Compass? (UPDATE NOT TOWABLE)

ccchuck
Explorer
Explorer
new Jeep Compass:
details, success, problems?

edit: I'M SORRY I DID NOT REALIZE IT WOULD NOT ARRIVE UNTIL LATE APRIL

The Motorhome guide says yes, but the owners manual says no to all.
RVing since '74..
15 REPLIES 15

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just get a Wrangler and be done with it!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

geerhed
Explorer
Explorer
Don't go by me, however the 2017 Jeep Compass is not flat towable so We purchased a 2017 Cherokee Latitude with Active Drive II 9 speed transmission package because it is Flat towable. It looks like possibly the 2018 Compass might be towable because they offer the same package.

They dealership I purchased from Baxter Jeep (Never again) in Lincoln Ne has been of no help to me even when I showed them the service bulletin and told them it states specifically in the manual that you need to have the flat tow harness installed to be able to be towed or damage could occur. They told me that the forums I had read were only a "worst case Scenario" and that since I had not yet experience the death wobble problem they would not authorize the fix but would be happy to get a quote for the part and cost of installment. I argued with them to no avail. They should have known or did know and only wanted to sell cars and did not care about the customers safety.

I contacted MOPAR directly and quoted the service bulletin and the problems I had with the dealers unwillingness to help. They provided the part number. Here is part of their reply. They told me that if I were willing to pay for the part and labor they were in a position to reimburse me. MOPAR does care about their customers.

I appreciate your response, with regards to the matter we would be reimbursing the cost of part and installation.

Our records show the vehicle is under the applicable service bulletin.
The part number for reference is 68321424AB.
I appreciate your response, with regards to the matter we would be reimbursing the cost of part and installation.

I will be getting the upgrade done. This harness keeps the electronic power steering pump operating while the car is being towed. I also added an RVI battery charging unit for the RVI2 breaking system. The charger will keep the battery charged to run the power steering as well.

ccchuck
Explorer
Explorer
"She indicated the same as the Dave Smith web site...yes it is if manual trans and key is in ACC position.."
I think that site is quoting the motorhome guide - I do know the owner's manual for the "new in 2017" compass says no flat towing either trans.
RVing since '74..

armadillo_17
Explorer
Explorer
As you see in my signature, I have been towing a 2012 Jeep Patriot, since New. No problems. 84,000 driven, guess an additional 25,000 towing. Indeed the manual transmission can be PITA in stop and go city traffic. We live in a rural area, so that's a minor deal.
The patriot shares the drive train with the Compass.
Jon in S/W Missouri
2007 Winnebago Class C
2012 Jeep Patriot (Manual Transmission)

minorinsanity
Explorer
Explorer
I know right! Problem is with the 2017 Compass, there's actually two different manuals. One says yes, the other no. Our salesman has been awesome though. No worries on getting our down payment back. Funny thing is, even corporate Jeep can't agree on either a yes/no answer. Factory trainer will be up in 2 weeks and should provide a solid answer. She indicated the same as the Dave Smith web site...yes it is if manual trans and key is in ACC position. Would need a battery charger feed from RV, but that's easy enough. So we wait for a couple more weeks.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
a check with owner's manual before a $$ check is written will prevent lots of issues.
bumpy

ccchuck
Explorer
Explorer
minorinsanity wrote:
About a month ago, we read the 2017 Dinghy guide, and then ordered an all new 2017 Jeep Compass. Just hours ago, I stumbled on that this vehicle is not towable. Soo frustrated. Waiting to hear back from the dealer as what options we have, or if we're loosing our deposit. Not cool, not cool at all.

I was at the dealership to buy when my salesman said, " btw, you know its not towable after all".

As to the Dingy guide, same problem last year with the Renegade, I suspect Jeep is guilty of bad intial info.
RVing since '74..

minorinsanity
Explorer
Explorer
About a month ago, we read the 2017 Dinghy guide, and then ordered an all new 2017 Jeep Compass. Just hours ago, I stumbled on that this vehicle is not towable. Soo frustrated. Waiting to hear back from the dealer as what options we have, or if we're loosing our deposit. Not cool, not cool at all.

ccchuck
Explorer
Explorer
and Jeep says "NO" to towing, automatic or manual.
RVing since '74..

blawless
Explorer
Explorer
We tow a 2014 Jeep Compass, standard trany 4 down. It weighs 3,000 lbs and is just right for us being a 4 door with a hatchback. Room for 5 and the dogs. It does not have a locking steering wheel thus not requiring the key to be left in the ignition if you add an aux 12v plug for the brake buddy etc.. Just a note standard trany's are hard to find and the compass is being discontinued next year. The liberty is also a good alternative.
Retired and enjoying it!

2005 Coachmen Aurora 3380 MBS Class A F53 V10 Banks Power System.
2014 Jeep Compass Toad
2001 Fleetwood Prowler 255B 5th wheel
2003 F150 King Ranch Supercrew 4X4

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gbopp, could be! Thank you.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Two Hands wrote:
Motor Home magazine's latest dingy towing guide states that the 2017 Compass with automatic transmission is not towable four down, with manual transmission it is towable.

and confirm that with the owner's manual.
bumpy

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
Motor Home magazine's latest dingy towing guide states that the 2017 Compass with automatic transmission is not towable four down, with manual transmission it is towable.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
I see 1,000 or 2,000 pounds with trailer package as the max on the Jeep website. What were you considering?

I think the OP is talking about dinghy towing?