cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

anyone working out of RV as you full time?

Chowan
Explorer
Explorer
I am wondering if there is anyone who has worked out of your RV and got major tax deduction? I have read some tax guidelines. It is possible. Just wondering how many hoops you had to jump through.
17 REPLIES 17

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
robbiesgram wrote:
Home office are considered a red flag for the IRS, so you might get surprised with an audit.

Got told during an audit many years ago that a home office deduction raised your chance of an audit tremendously.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

Chowan
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingbob, thanks for the reply. What hoops did you have to make sure you jumped through to get those deductions.

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
For many years I wrote off the interest plus the on road campgrounds as a business traveler may write off a motel room ! I traveled 4 states and travel expenses included campgrounds , motel rooms , some meals .

Chowan
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the reply JFNM. Appreciate you sharing from experience. Most things worth doing are not usually easy. Being educated is a start in the right direction. If you know what hoops to jump through and where they are a plan can be made to map those hoops. Thanks for the help

JFNM
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Chowan, I am a full-timer, am employed full-time, and run a "personal business" on the side.

If the "major tax deduction" part of your question is significant, my answer is no. However; every tiny bit helps!

I financed a portion of my motorhome for the mortgage interest deduction. This is allowed but it is up to your individual situation as to whether or not paying interest and getting a small deduction on personal income tax is worth it.

I could find no way (that appeared to be legitimate) to claim any part of my RV as an office or expense (for either my job or home business).

When I travel for my job - I expense the costs (to the business) and that is not deductible. When I travel for my personal business, the costs may be deductible but you have to watch the rules on that very closely. I would never suggest that any of this is simple!! ๐Ÿ™‚
JD - Full timer out west
1998 MCI 102-EL3 Revolution | 2010 Wrangler (daJeep) | 1.7kW Solar - 10kWh Lithium
My Adventures

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Depreciation, mortgage, tax and insurance deductions are typically from rental property, not a second home. Second homes, including RV's you can only deduct interest paid, just like your primary mortgage.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

robbiesgram
Explorer
Explorer
Naturist is correct. The ONLY deduction we were ever able to take is the 2nd home mortgage deduction. Your license plates, insurance, etc are NOT deductible.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Chowan wrote:
robbiesgram wrote:
Full timed for 10 years, worked out of the rv for all of them. Could not take any deductions for home office, had H & R Block do the taxes for all 10 years in at least 4 different states. Unless you have a room dedicated to an office and it is used strictly for the business, you cannot take any deductions. The only RV deduction we were ever able to take was the 2nd home interest, of course, you can take deductions for your business. Just be sure you keep good records and receipts.

Home office are considered a red flag for the IRS, so you might get surprised with an audit.

Thank you for sharing from your experience. SO you were able to get a depreciation, mortgage, tax, and insurance deduction?

I think you need to actually read @robbiesgram's post. He was NOT able to get any deduction other than interest on a second home mortgage. Not depreciation, Not mortgage, Not tax, and Not insurance.

Chowan
Explorer
Explorer
robbiesgram wrote:
Full timed for 10 years, worked out of the rv for all of them. Could not take any deductions for home office, had H & R Block do the taxes for all 10 years in at least 4 different states. Unless you have a room dedicated to an office and it is used strictly for the business, you cannot take any deductions. The only RV deduction we were ever able to take was the 2nd home interest, of course, you can take deductions for your business. Just be sure you keep good records and receipts.

Thank you for sharing from your experience. SO you were able to get a depreciation, mortgage, tax, and insurance deduction?

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I echo those who say you can't claim a portion of your RV as a home office. Even your regular brick and mortar (or stick and brick) home has restrictions. When my wife was running her picture framing business out of the home, I learned that the portion of my home I wanted to claim as business expense had to be dedicated 100 percent to the business. It was even suggested to tape the area off (in my garage), and only store items associated with the business. I decided that very first year it was not worth the hassle. I couldn't even imagine how one would segregate a portion of their RV to be 100 percent dedicated to the business. And if you could, I doubt it would equate to a MAJOR tax break.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

tjfogelberg
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you use a portion of the RV exclusively for business (unlikely), no deduction is allowed. By definition, a fulltimer can't be using any portion of the RV exclusively for business.

Jackson TC Memo 2014-160. 8-7-14

Interest on your home (RV) is deductible in most cases on Sch A.(As a personal, not business item.)

robbiesgram
Explorer
Explorer

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Probably no different than living in a regular house.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

Chowan
Explorer
Explorer
I know I can talk to an accountant. I would like to talk to someone who has done it or is doing it. Thanks for the help. If a small business is run out of an RV (like a travel business/or RV education business) I read where many things associated are deductible.)