cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Apr 2013 "Tow Test"

jim_summers
Explorer
Explorer
Just to muddy up the water some more, here's a puzzler. Reading the Apr 2013 Trailer Life, I read a review on a 9000lb (wet/loaded weight) TT being pulled by a new F-150, V-6 turbochg'ed, 3.5 L. The F-150 had a "towing rating" of 9600 lbs. The F-150 itself weighs 6500 lbs I think. TL did not publish the GVWR. But after reading the towing advise on this website, I was surprised. It looks like to me they were probably towing within about 96% of their GVWR. The article extolled the V-6, no problems accelerating or stopping, etc. etc. No tongue droop, no swaying. Don't know what hitch they used. (a WD hitch I hope) I was surprised to see Trailer Life promoting this "perfect" towing combination. I thought from my reading that this is way too heavy a TT for this truck. Maybe there is something I missed. Any thoughts on it ? I wondered if any of this site's "experts" had seen it also. Thnx in advance.
`03 Duramax, Nash 25R TT, Equalizer WD
23 REPLIES 23

Bmach
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ducks the use of 10,000# was for simplicity of math.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Bmach wrote:
I never could understand the 80% rule!! Why would you cut back and tow 8,000# when the engineers/lawyers say you can handle 10,000#?

Payload. 10,000lbs @12% is 1200lbs. Most 1/2 tons don't have a 1200lb rated receiver. Then add in the occupants, gear, etc and they are likely over the trucks/SUVs payload. Myth or not, the 80% rule helps keep things in check.
IMO it's like the other myth of using the TT/5er's GVW for figuring out if you can tow it. It all depends on how high of a CCC the TT/5er has.
They are IMO only good for beginners. Experienced RVer's no their limits and can gage how a set up will work.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bmach wrote:
I never could understand the 80% rule!! Why would you cut back and tow 8,000# when the engineers/lawyers say you can handle 10,000#?

It was made up by people that don't know how to figure out how much weight they could actually carry, and tow. The 80% myth takes away all the figuring. If you only use 80% of you capacity. You are always well under the capability of your TV. Of course when you use the 80% myth. You have to buy a overkill TV to tow with.

Using the 80% myth, My TV can only tow 6400lbs. Using REAL numbers. Taking off for DW, the Grandbabies, a couple bikes,and myself. It can in reality tow 7527lbs.

BTW. the grandbabies are real lite. So as my TT only weighs 5800lbs, + or - 100lbs, Depending on where it is going. You can see, I am well under the towing capacity of my TV. Most people are. If they really sit down and do the math.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Bmach
Explorer II
Explorer II

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
jim summers wrote:
Correction to my first post. I said " TL did not publish the GVWR. But after reading the towing advise on this website, I was surprised. It looks like to me they were probably towing within about 96% of their GVWR."
I meant GCVWR- Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating. I'm betting this truck/trailer combo is too close to the GCVWR. Sorry-should've proof read better.

If it's not OVER, it's not too close. Good to go. Never be afraid to tow what the engineers that designed the truck say you can.
The 80% you hear so much about on here is nothing more than a myth. Something made up, so folks don't have to do math.

X2.

The same applies to minivans.
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

Sledge_Hammer
Explorer
Explorer
This forum kind of amazes me. There are lots of posters complaining about those that tow over weight. Do we really need to worry about towing "close" to recommendations? This seems a little absurd.
2013 Fuzion FZ315
2013 Ford F350 DRW

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
It's a reoccurring theme at TL. Been getting the mag for a couple years and they always report on some combo that's close to it's limit.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
jim summers wrote:
Correction to my first post. I said " TL did not publish the GVWR. But after reading the towing advise on this website, I was surprised. It looks like to me they were probably towing within about 96% of their GVWR."
I meant GCVWR- Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating. I'm betting this truck/trailer combo is too close to the GCVWR. Sorry-should've proof read better.

If it's not OVER, it's not too close. Good to go. Never be afraid to tow what the engineers that designed the truck say you can.
The 80% you hear so much about on here is nothing more than a myth. Something made up, so folks don't have to do math.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

jim_summers
Explorer
Explorer
`03 Duramax, Nash 25R TT, Equalizer WD