cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Aqua magic V stinklet, errr, toilet!!

RV_daytrader
Explorer
Explorer
the aqua magic 1V toilet that came in my RV lasted over 20 years, but was needing repairs...so I bought a Aqua magic V to replace it.... 13 MONTHS later the flush handle seal is bad, letting stink into the RV...from what I have read, there is no repair part for this!!...I emailed thetford and said they should stop making this toilet, or at least advertise it as a 1 year toilet!...will be interesting to see if they respond!
YODA...our lil Toyota!
1989 Toyota Seabreeze
8 REPLIES 8

FoxInTheFall
Explorer
Explorer

We have a 2011 Puma trailer with a Thetford Aqua Magic V. We began having the same issue with smell coming into the bathroom (got worse when you sat on the seat). What was even more interesting is that the toilet holds water indefinitely, so I knew the flush plate and seal were fine. Oddly enough, after dealing with the smell during our last camping trip, I made up my mind that I was going to get to the bottom of this when we got home. Before we left the campsite though, I gave the whole inside (underside) of the toilet a good scrub and spray so it would be clean to work on. Interestingly enough, I noticed water on the floor behind the toilet when I was done cleaning it (and I know for certain that it didn't come from the outside). I was convinced that it was the bowl-to-floor seal. After removing the toilet from the floor, I decided to clean it even further now that I had access to it from the bottom. With the toilet now upside down, I filled it with a bit of soap and water to give it a good scrubbing - and THAT'S when the problem reared its head. The water was coming out of the seam at the top of the toilet where the base of the toilet is fitted to the top of the toilet. In earlier models, this was assembled with screws and easy to disassemble. The seal between the two was just a clay duct-seal style of material. With this model though, they decided to permanently bond the two together. This is all fine and dandy unless it's a poor bond and the two parts start to separate! This explained why the gases were worse when sitting on the toilet as well as the water on the floor after cleaning it. My solution was very simple. With the whole toilet now super clean and dry, I used a product made by DAP called Ultra Clear. It's a flexible sealant that dries crystal clear and is immediate water ready. It's the best stuff I've ever seen! I simply ran a bead of this along the seal making sure that it fills the joint between the two pieces. Although the floor seal looked good, I replaced it with a new one anyway. Before I put the new floor seal on the bottom of the toilet, I covered the WHOLE seal with silicone grease (must be silicone as anything petroleum-based will deteriorate the seal). Do not use silicone spray, you want silicone grease as it will stay put and create an absolutely water and gas-tight seal where the toilet meets the floor. This same grease is also perfect for lubricating the flush plate and seal! It's been several trips since I had done this and we've never had so much as a whiff ever again. Hope this helps you out in your endeavor to rid your RV of this common problem.

While I am sure this would be helpful to the OP, this thread is 10 years old and the OP hasn't been on here in years. 

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW, that's not a common failure of that model. Unfortunately, items are not made to be repaired now- including the Dometic 300/310.
-- Chris Bryant

Dog_Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
I just replaced my 22 year old Auqua with the sealand 310. A little more height and a ceramic bowl.
2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad
Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles , Annie get your guns, our English setter (fur Bearing Children)

PUCampin
Explorer
Explorer
RV daytrader wrote:
tenbear wrote:
I replaced the seal in my Aqua Magic V about 3 years ago, actually, I just scraped the calcium deposits off and reinstalled the same seal. They do sell new seals. It is still working fine.

It was not a difficult job, just messy. The toilet has to be removed.

I am talking about the flush handle seal, NOT the seal that keeps water in the bowl. They do not even show a flush handle seal in their parts.

Yep, same problem as you. Essentially a disposable item, and with that great big "splash chamber" underneath I could never get it clean. I replaced it with a Style II, one of the best changes to my trailer. I have had to replace the ball seal twice on the style II (we have very hard water), about a 15 minute job.
2007 Expedition EL 4x4 Tow pkg
1981 Palomino Pony, the PopUp = PUCampin! (Sold)
2006 Pioneer 180CK = (No more PUcampin!):B

Me:B DW:) and the 3 in 3 :E
DD:B 2006, DS ๐Ÿ˜› 2007, DD :C 2008

RV_daytrader
Explorer
Explorer
tenbear wrote:
I replaced the seal in my Aqua Magic V about 3 years ago, actually, I just scraped the calcium deposits off and reinstalled the same seal. They do sell new seals. It is still working fine.

I am talking about the flush handle seal, NOT the seal that keeps water in the bowl. They do not even show a flush handle seal in their parts.
YODA...our lil Toyota!
1989 Toyota Seabreeze

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer

Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

vern_kelly
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you let them know RV day trader. Should last longer than that! Nice camper you got. You've taken good care of it!

I repaired my Aqua magic IV in my Lance last year and was successful. I debated buying a whole new unit as the old unit had to be completely removed to fix. Got the Thetford parts on Amazon.
1998 2500 Dodge V10 3.55 Quad cab. Lance 5000 camper 9'10" and tow 17.5 ft Larson Boat