cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Are Heartland RVs that bad? Many negative reviews on the net

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I'm trying to help a friend find a small toy hauler and came across a Heartland Pioneer model at an attractive price that seems suitable for my friend's needs.

Not being familiar with the Heartland brand, I looked for info on Heartland products on the net and was surprised to see an inordinate amount of negative reviews from Heartland RV owners. The negative reviews weren't confined to only entry level models. Poor reviews spanned from top of the line fifth wheels to entry level models.

What I found alarming in the reviews was the types of problems the owners encountered with their units. Most of them were serious problems and defects that leads me to believe Heartland produces shoddy trailers across its entire product line. To make matters worse for owners with the defective trailers, it seems the company isn't very responsive with warranty claims.

I have been an RV owner for many years and realize even the best RV makers aren't perfect and some issues are bound to surface after taking possession of a new RV. However, I haven't seen so many negative reviews about serious problems with an RV as I have with Heartland.

Should I tell my friend to spend more money and look elsewhere in order to save himself a lifetime of heartaches and headaches? If so, what brand would you recommend for hauling one SxS UTV? The trailer will be used by a couple only, so there is no need to have additional beds above the garage area.
19 REPLIES 19

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
WOW. And I thought my 3 issues in 12 years was bad!

mowingman
Explorer
Explorer
A friend of mine bought a big, top-of-the-line, Heartland, Landmark 365 5th wheel last year. In the first 3 months of ownership, he had around 30 warranty issues. After one year of ownership, I believe he is up to around 80 warranty issues.Luckily, he bought it from a great dealer that is fixing everything for him on a timely basis The factory people he talked to admitted that they no longer do any serious quality control inspections at the factory. They just give the trailers a quick once over to spot anything obvious. His was not a cheapy. The MSRP on it was about $128,000.00. and, he still got shoddy workmanship for all that money.

NCC-1701
Explorer
Explorer
The first one I ever went into while at an RV show had such a soft floor it felt like I was walking on a trampoline. I was standing outside the unit and watched my 120# mother-in-law walk by in the kitchen and could see the floor sagging under that minimal weight. Looked at my wife and told her I'd bet that thing wouldn't last 2 years on the road. Looking at the construction specs, it was clear they were far more interested in throwing junk together to look good to sell, but had little care about making a quality unit.

Some friends of ours bought one and regretted it greatly. Constant structural issues. They dumped it after just a few years.

That said, my wife and I went to a large RV show this winter with my daughter and her husband who are starting the search for a new TT. I'd say that about 90% of what we looked at was not far away from Heartland's low quality construction. Even brands that I thought used to do a good job. Looked to me like nearly everyone was sinking to a low-quality level in the TT/5th wheel market. Clearly, Airstream was an exception, which is why they also sell for more money.
"Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning." Captain Kirk in Star Trek VI 'The Undiscovered Country'

2007 39K Winnebago Journey "The Enterprise"
Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Heartland-Smeartland lol. The facts are that 90% of what's out there is going to be on a frame made by Lippert and that's where the problems originate. Thin steel, fugly welds, questionable engineering. Sure the RV manufacturers use them, and spec them, and continue to use them, despite known issues going back years, that seem to ebb and flow like the tide. It's all about bottom line. When your foundation is junk from the get go, good luck. Nothing is changing anytime soon, hardly none are immune, so roll the dice.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
I do not own a fifth-wheel, but after seeing these pictures and reading this link from a friend of ours, I sould seriously avoid the Heartland name, or anything made by them. Please see this link, it is really scary, considering whatcould have happened if she was inexperienced, and knew to check her rig at every chance. See this link:
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29617306.cfm
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.