cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Are you a Songbird or Snowbird?

Songbirds
Explorer
Explorer
So are you wondering what is a "SONGBIRD"?

We all know and love our Snowbirds, who live manlily up North and begin a migration to the South about Memorial day May 5th and stay anywhere from 2-weeks to 6-Months each year. This is to enjoy a warmer-weather change after snowfalls have melted away.

Fewer in Numbers is the Songbirds which migrate North to escape the SUN, heat humidity, rainstorms, Hurrican season, for cooler temperatures.

The lines are not well defined, but each seems to enjoy their times away to collet thoughts and a smile before returning to the snow-packed days inside as the other prefers shorter winters.

So who are you? A Snowbird or Songbird? and have you changed your migration times over the last 10-years or so?

How many miles do you drive or fly for the special time away and what if anything would you change?

This total migration takes place from California to North Carolina is a long line. During the winter CA, AZ, NM, and parts of Texas will see an influx of RV'ers parking and RV Parks filling. Then States like Florida, Georgia, Alabama will see Condominiums and beach area homes traded for time away.

So do you drive or fly, bring your RV, or for a time trade your Home for a parked trailer?

Please I welcome your thoughts and ideas as you explore Drives and Dives and how this virus has upset the yearly migration and your life?
2021 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Van, showing six tires down, 3400XD, V6, 7-Speed Automatic 24FL, 170-WB, 24'-3", Coachmen Galleria w/Li3, "Next ROAD TRIP" to where?
11 REPLIES 11

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
For the past several years the wife and I spent most of the winter months island hopping, we run from cold.

This year we were grounded.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was always confused by the name "Snowbird" because in Michigan, the Snowbirds (Juncoes) show up when it snows. Which is just about the time when we are headed to FL; and we head back north when it stops snowing and the Juncoes are gone. Ed says we're "Endless Summer" folks...LOL!
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Winters are for alpine skiing....let it snow! After skiing the plan was to take 6 weeks at the beach and skip "mud time" in Idaho - did not happen. I don't enjoy heat and humidity. Maybe next year we'll make it to Baja, HI, or S Carolina.
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

8ntw8tn
Explorer
Explorer
By the definitions you provide I guess we'd be classified as Snowbirds. However, the title we hear most often, and the one we most appreciate, is "Winter Texan". We arrive in the Texas Hill Country by November 1st and typically don't leave until around May 1st. When we attend our first church service upon arriving in Texas each year the pastor has always greeted us with, "Welcome home".
'08 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax;
'10 Carriage Cameo F35FWS
Det 1 56th SOWg

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I don't really migrate but I like to visit the snow when I can, escape the heat when I can.
Put me down as a dodo ๐Ÿ˜‰

winniman
Explorer II
Explorer II
People in Arizona told me they were Sandbirds. Since us snowbirds try to avoid the snow, the sand birds leave the sand. I guess you songbirds leave the songs behind. Being a musician, I always take the songs with me.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Both depending on the season.
The fastest way to cool off is to gain elevation inside of driving north.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
We've stayed in those states but a few were just a overnight. All of those from Texas east were one trip in a 22' MH with 2 teens.

That includes the ferry trip to Newfoundland. And PEI which had no bridge at that time. Many memories - we lost our son on a White House tour as the Secret Service was showing him some of the secret passages. It was the kids (twins) 13th birthday. I'll bet they don't do that anymore.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
Well, by your definition, I guess I'd be a snowbird. Beginning in 2018, we have spent 6 weeks in the springtime wandering around in the sunny, warmer southland. We were planning to do the same this year, and the various authorities cancelled us out. We have re-scheduled to late October/November.

But your definitions raise an interesting perspective. For years my parents, and now just my mom, spent their winters as snowbirds in FL. For the past several years it's been mid-October to late April in FL. But they returned "home" to New York for May through mid-October. So, by your definition they were BOTH snowbirds and songbirds. Right?

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

Songbirds
Explorer
Explorer
So pleased you can see the humor. I'm attracted to your MAPS and wondering if states filled in are States where you have stayed the night or past through?

Have a wonderful Father's day today as we hear from all our children today.
2021 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Van, showing six tires down, 3400XD, V6, 7-Speed Automatic 24FL, 170-WB, 24'-3", Coachmen Galleria w/Li3, "Next ROAD TRIP" to where?

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
We're Songbirds and nest in the Phoenix area. Normal migration is 10,000 RV miles and we consume a lot of food ($) along the way.

Unfortunately our nest was attacked this spring and we're grounded for the summer. But fortunately the shields are up and keeping us safe.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob