cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Attaching to Fiberglass

Beltzy
Explorer
Explorer
My toy hauler has the fiberglass on the outside and I am looking to add a level to the front where I can see when parking. The instructions say to screw the level on. My question is what is the best way to screw into the fiberglass to attach the level without messing up the fiberglass and not stripping the screws.. Any input is appreciated.
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 32BHDS
2011 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax LTZ
20 REPLIES 20

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Exterior fiberglass on trailers is pretty thin, if you are dead set on using screws, you will need to use toggle screws. Google drilling fiberglass before starting as there are tricks to avoid cracks radiating out from the holes.

As others have said, double sided tape would be prefered. You can get it at autobody places.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
I would never breach the side of a RV to mount something as silly as a "level" or a "bubble" Superglue, Gorillaglue or LokTite come to mind
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk bรฅt - Dette mรฅ jeg se!

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you want it to stay on forever and ever, epoxy will do the trick. Scuff the fiberglass where it attaches first.

Beltzy
Explorer
Explorer
tpi wrote:
Personally I hate holes unless absolutely necessary. I've sure seen a lot of stick on levels that stayed stuck for a long time. Can you adapt it?

It has a hollow back, but I was thinking of making a plate to put on it and then sticking it on. I too hate the idea of putting a hole in the fiberglass. Any good ideas on a good adhesive/tape to use? Or does anyone recommend a good big level that comes with sticky tape on it?
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 32BHDS
2011 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax LTZ

Bob_Olallawa
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with double sided tape instead of screws
Welcome to my home, that door you just broke down was there for your protection not mine.

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
Personally I hate holes unless absolutely necessary. I've sure seen a lot of stick on levels that stayed stuck for a long time. Can you adapt it?