cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Average monthly KWH?

JRRNeiklot
Explorer
Explorer
What's the average monthly electrical usage I can expect in a 19 foot travel trailer when plugged into 30 amp shore power? I'm pretty frugal, will be running led lights, a 24 inch tv, laptop, and I'll charge a few things like cell phones and a tablet. I know the fridge will draw some, even while on LP, and there will be a few miscellaneous phantom loads. I don't drink coffee, so no coffee maker or anything, though I might run the microwave once in a while, and of course the water pump. Anyone have a ball park figure?

Thanks.
19 REPLIES 19

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
It's not the trailer, it's the resident that uses electricity. The only way to find out is to live in the trailer for a year, keep your bills, and do the math. If you are spending too much, find ways to cut back.

Explorer II
Explorer II
With the right adapters you can measure each component of the whole trailer minus AC with a Kill-A-Watt meter. Mine is 15A max so the 15kbtu AC pushes it over max.

Connect the meter to the trailer, turn on the fridge and take a reading, turn the fridge off and the water heater on, take a reading, etc... Do this with each component. Don't forget the lights. It's best to do this with a fully charged battery so not to skew the readings or exceed 15A.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Get a Kill-A-Watt Meter and check the usage of each electrical item.

Then you will know what consumes the most power and can adjust accordingly.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hard to say without knowing more about your heating. That and the refer will be your biggest power usage... min $1/day.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
What about an electric heater or electric blanket? Electricity should be cheaper than running the propane furnace unless you need it to keep things warm underneath the floor.

You shouldn't need the water pump if hooked up to park water.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.