cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Base plate for Dingy

dbontherun
Explorer
Explorer
Need to have base plate installed on Dingy and was wondering where would the best place to have it done? What's your feelings with Camping World doing the installation or a private dealer?
DB
9 REPLIES 9

traveylin
Explorer
Explorer
I bought the base plate for 350 and had a local repair shop install it for a hundred. Different solutions can also be dependent on local availability. Nearest CW is 200 miles away.

pops

LadyRVer
Explorer II
Explorer II
In November, Camping World at Dover/I-4, (east of Tampa) installed a baseplate on my new Fiat and did the wiring. $29 installation for baseplate and $29 installation for wiring the toad. Tech did an excellent job and I was very pleased.

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
I am having my baseplate installed at CW, as noted you need to buy from them for that price. However the baseplate was available from e trailer I think was around 300$, CW was the published $400 + Shipping, install $29 lifetime gaurantee on work. They are also installing the add on wire harness for $29. This was a sale for members ($29) and I got in on the last day. The $39 came out a week or so later. For the baseplate (roadmaster), the wire harness, taxes Freight, Install everything was $700. Figured its easier for them to work on ALL day vs me on evenings/weekends with everything else that we do! Waiting to see if they will install the SMI brake system while ins in ther for the tow stuff?

Forgot to add the local rv place will charge $75/hr to install stuff, the baseplate called for about 3 hrs shop time, now need to add the wire harness in as shop time, thus the again going with the CW shop. Just some thoughts.

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
Contact the local body shops in your area. That's where I had mine done. They are familiar with removing the body panels and charged half of what was quoted by RV specialty shops and dealers.

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
I bet if you read the "fine print", that $39 labor special will exclude base plate installations. Even if it doesn't, price shop the TOTAL including the base plates and you will still find the independent cheaper.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

oldmattb
Explorer
Explorer
I installed our own base plates. For the CRV it was a 30-minute bolt-on with no issues. For the Echo, it took bending, grinding, fitting and removing, purchasing additional bolts, cutting the car grille. It took about six hours of really hard work.

That $39 would be a great deal.

Matt B
oldMattB
1998 Monaco Windsor

tkcas01
Explorer
Explorer
I had mine done at North Trail RV in Ft. Myers and happy with them.
Roaming Full Timer

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
You will find Camping World prices to be at least 30% higher than a local dealer. Even with my so called discount, the price for base plates and installation last year for our toad was over $900 at CW and $600 at the dealer 5 miles further down the road.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
dbontherun wrote:
Need to have base plate installed on Dingy and was wondering where would the best place to have it done? What's your feelings with Camping World doing the installation or a private dealer?
DB

I just got a flyer from CW that had all installations at $39 if you buy from them. I don't know if it applied to base plates but I can't see why not.
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!