cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Base plates

RVMike
Explorer
Explorer
Have a 2016 Frontier and looking for base plates. Have researched Blu Ox and Roadmaster. Don't want to start a debate just who has what and how does it tow.

Thanks
Mike
8 REPLIES 8

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Blue Ox baseplate and Ready Brute Elite tow bar.

If doing again today, I would do the same.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
I built my own last 2 base plates/install.
It take $12 worth of steel, and 2-3 hrs labor.
There is nothing more of a rippoff price than baseplates.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

F1bNorm
Explorer
Explorer
Another option:
Since you are in SoCal, Eckharts Trailer Hitch & Welding in Reseda, made us a custom, welded on, baseplate for our CRV. They matched it to the hitch height on our MH. Price was close to a bolt-on plus installation. They also did the lights.

It's worked well and a clean install. We do wish we added a battery charge line.

Norm
F1BNorm

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
We tow our 2009 Frontier with a Roadmaster coach-mounted towbar, and "XL" brackets (base plate) 344-1. There's an "MX" version of the bracket also. Both cover Years 2005-2016. Our 344-1 was easy to install. Easy in terms of straightforward, but like most modern vehicles involves removing the bumper "fascia" (cover). It's well hidden and sits inside the bumper opening, well off the ground. I'm not at the truck, but I think the connecting points for the towbar work out to 23" off the ground.

"XL" is pretty much the original hidden Roadmaster style. Connecting arms are square tubing and slip into larger square tubing then secure with hitch pins. The newer "MX" is a twist-to-connect similar to Blue Ox. Read Roadmasterinc's notes carefully and make sure the information in the Notes doesn't eliminate the tow bar you want.

To Bud's point about Stowmaster. We started out with a Duncan brand vehicle-mounted towbar equivalent to Stowmaster. And yes, simpler to telescope the ball hitch out and drop onto a ball, than to keep one arm from falling (on your FOOT!) while getting a hitch pin into the other. Our coach mounted bar is also a Roadmaster Falcon, 6000-lb capacity, the All-Terrain version. I didn't like leaving the bulky tow bar on the toad while camping, and I didn't want to lug the heavy think into the coach and store it under the dinette, the only place we have that fits it.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
One difference that's worth checking out among the available base plate brands is the tow bar connection height on the toad versus the hitch height on the RV. You can usually get a pretty close idea by looking at the photos in the installation manuals that are available online and measuring from where the mounting point on your own toad will be. The closer to equal the two measurements are the better. If they differ by more than a few inches, you'll need a drop or rise adapter to bring them within the tow bar manufacturer's specs.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I have Roadmaster Stowmaster tow bar with Roadmaster brackets for several years on different toads. It has worked very well for us.
I got donated a Falcon tow bar. I used it a couple times but went back to the Stowmaster. It seemed easier to connect the Stowmaster then the Falcon. MH mounted bar had two alignment points where the toad mounted has one.
Maybe it just me!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Kennyg
Explorer
Explorer
I have a blue ox base plate with a redi-brake elite and it tows geat!
Kennyg

Triker33
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Blue Ox base plate on my toad.
And using a Roadmaster tow bar.
And it tows just great.

No different then my last toad using a Roadmaster base plate.
Larry Full Time Since 99
1999 34Q Discovery DP ISB 275HP 6 Speed Allison
VMSpc | Pressure Pro
14 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost Toad

Click here to see where I am