cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery discharged on Ford Edge

FredHardwick
Explorer
Explorer
Although Ford has approved towing of the 2012 Edge w/ all four on the ground, we consistently run the car battery dead while towing it. We have followed Ford's recommended procedures by setting the key in the accessory position and setting the headlights to the off position. Our local RV shop is reluctant to install a charging line from the MH to the car for fear of interfering with auto's electronics. Any comments/suggestions?
11 REPLIES 11

RognBon
Explorer
Explorer
Posted By wrote:
put the the ac into recirculate or max position before shutting engine off.

Why?
RognBon
1997 Monaco Dynasty 40'
Cummins 8.3 325 HP
2008 Ford Edge Toad

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget to turn the headlight switch off and put the the ac into recirculate or max position before shutting engine off.

FredHardwick
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the help guys!

RognBon
Explorer
Explorer
I just went out and did some more investigating and it turns out that as long as the key is still in the ignition, the steering wheel is unlocked. The steering wheel does not lock until you remove the key. Perhaps Ford is just protecting themselves from any liability should the key somehow accidentally slip from the ignition.
RognBon
1997 Monaco Dynasty 40'
Cummins 8.3 325 HP
2008 Ford Edge Toad

RognBon
Explorer
Explorer
Posted By wrote:
2. Why would Ford require that the key be put in the acc position if not to release the steering

I don't know "why" Ford would require that. I guess if you really want to know you would have to ask Ford. I do know that I have towed the Edge in the manner I described for over five years with no tire damage. I can see the front wheels in my side mirrors and can observe the wheels turning freely and tracking in the direction the coach is traveling when making turns. When I first began towing the Edge (just to make sure), I had my son observe while I made some turns and he verified that the wheels were tracking properly.
RognBon
1997 Monaco Dynasty 40'
Cummins 8.3 325 HP
2008 Ford Edge Toad

traveylin
Explorer
Explorer
1, my s-10 would lock the steering whenever the key was in the lock position. I forgot one time and chewed up a pair of front tires in a half mile

2. Why would Ford require that the key be put in the acc position if not to release the steering.

3, consider putting a battery disconnect or pull a fuse for the dash control power.

4. Check your battery on the escape and/ or install one with a larger capacity than the std installed by Ford.

5. Put a charger on the battery to top it off charge wise once every several days. My toad did not get many running hours, to recharge the battery sufficiently

pops

answerswillvary
Explorer
Explorer
Moved from Roads and Routes
2009 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QBP

RognBon
Explorer
Explorer
Posted By: FredHardwick on 04/08/14 04:47pm

Are you suggesting setting the key in the lock position? (Counter clockwise to the stop). Won't that also lock the steering?

Yes, that is what you do. The steering wheel will not lock with the transmission in neutral.
RognBon
1997 Monaco Dynasty 40'
Cummins 8.3 325 HP
2008 Ford Edge Toad

FredHardwick
Explorer
Explorer
Are you suggesting setting the key in the lock position? (Counter clockwise to the stop). Won't that also lock the steering?

DouglasC
Explorer
Explorer
RognBon wrote:
Instead of turning the key to accessory, turn it one more stop past. When you do this you should see the clock display on the stereo go out. If you leave the key in accessory, the stereo will still be on. Also make sure to turn the stereo power off. This is how I have been doing it for over five years on a 2008 Edge and have never had a dead battery problem.

I 2nd this poster's advice. I towed a 2008 Mercury Mariner hybrid for about 30,000 miles and my current 2012 Ford Fusion hybrid for about 8,000 miles and always turn the key all the way back as far as it will go - - and never have had a problem with a dead battery - - or any other problem with either vehicle related to towing.
Doug
2006 Jayco Greyhawk Model 27DS
Towing 2019 Ford Fusion Energi with Brake Buddy

RognBon
Explorer
Explorer
Instead of turning the key to accessory, turn it one more stop past. When you do this you should see the clock display on the stereo go out. If you leave the key in accessory, the stereo will still be on. Also make sure to turn the stereo power off. This is how I have been doing it for over five years on a 2008 Edge and have never had a dead battery problem.
RognBon
1997 Monaco Dynasty 40'
Cummins 8.3 325 HP
2008 Ford Edge Toad