cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bears!!! Yosemite, Can I wake this thread up?

E_J_push_n_wind
Explorer
Explorer
Question to those who have been to Yosemite and surounding area with their RV of whatever sort, do you empty all the contents that a bear might smell into one of the "bear boxes" provided to prevent a break in by a bear? I'm currious because I'd like to venture into that area but I have no idea of what to expect when it comes to bears. How agressive are they and near any "sanctioned" camp grounds, how prolific are they?
Wisdom is the right use of knowledge. To know is not to be wise. Many men know much, and are all the greater fools for it. There is no fool so great a fool as a knowing fool. But to know how to use knowledge is to have wisdom.

Charles Haddon Spurgeon
31 REPLIES 31

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
We spent 2 weeks in Yellowstone/Tetons. We did nothing different other than making sure nothing food related (including the grill) is left out of the RV.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

WishWeWereCampi
Explorer
Explorer
The bear patrol people are on it....at least in the valley campgrounds. We tent camped there twice in 2013 and had no problems at all with bears. We put everything that was food/scented, etc. in the bear box and only saw people chasing bears through the campground with headlamps once. And the ranger at the kiosk we were camping next to took our Pam spray away, he said it was "food". They do everything they can to keep bears away from the campers.

Yes, they are there. We had a ranger come up to us in our campsite and tell us that there was a bear around (it had a collar on it so it could be tracked) and to be really careful with the campsite bear rules compliance.

We've also non-tent camped there several times, and never had any problems with bears. I sprayed ammonia around the outside of our trailer just in case. TPTB require that you don't leave anything visible inside your hard-sided trailer that would attract bears and also put your garbage into the dumpsters every time you leave your campsite.

The only time we've seen bear damage was at Rocky Point Campground at Lake Almanor. The tent campers next to us had a cooler full of steaks and bacon, the bear couldn't resist the smell. Their cooler and the area around had some impressive tracks and claw marks.

I sprayed the outside of our trailer with ammonia and put anything smelly inside the bear box, just in case.

All this written/said I wouldn't hesitate to camp in the valley in a tent or trailer, as long as we followed TPTB's instructions.