cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best 5vr Slider for GM Puck Setup

ugeesta
Explorer
Explorer
Bought a new GMC Seirrra 3500 Denali standard bed over the weekend and now in the market for the fifth wheel hitch. The truck came with the factory installed Puck setup and I am quickly finding the hitch selection is very limited. Using an adaptor to fit a non puck hitch is out of the question because it looks to add another 2โ€to the hitch height. Height is a real concern as my trailer AC is at 13โ€™-6โ€ before adding the new truck additional 3โ€ bed height issues.

As far as direct fits, I see the 20k BW Companion or the 16k Curt. I like the height flexibility and weight of the Curt but the BW looks like a much nicer hitch though looks to be very heavy for one man to maneuver.

There are many more and possible better options if I scrap the idea of using the factory puck system. Has anyone done this? If so, how hard is it to work around the factory installed puck system? Is it easy to remove?

My old truck had a Husky 16k slider with the four way pivot. That was nice because my pit is not level side to side. I donโ€™t see that option in the BW or Curt setups with the factory puck system.

Iโ€™m so confused now. Thanks.

Last tidbit. My trailer Gross weight rating is 16,000 lbs and currently scales around 15,000 lbs so a 16k hitch should work. I was thinking of getting an 18k hitch for some extra capacity margin.
2018 GMC Seirra 3500 Denali SRW
2018 Jayco Talon 313t
2019 Polaris XP1000 Trail and Rocks edition
2016 Yamaha Grizzly EPS
1 wife & 5 cats
19 REPLIES 19

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
ugeesta wrote:

I like the height flexibility and weight of the Curt but the BW looks like a much nicer hitch though looks to be very heavy for one man to maneuver.

We have a B & W Companion hitch as well. I too was concerned about the weight, so I decided to install a hoist to my garage ceiling. The hoist makes getting the hitch in and out of the bed a breeze. When taking it out of the truck I lower the hitch onto a furniture dolly, which makes it easy to move around the garage. Iโ€™ve found other uses for the hoist as well. I use it to hold one side of the lawnmower up to remove the blade for sharpening. It also makes oil changes on the mower much easier. I wish I had installed it years ago.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for B&W, very well made.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
B&W and never look back! You will thank Cummins12V98 & I
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Curt, Made in China.

B&W, Made in USA.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Sea_Six
Explorer
Explorer
I have the b&w companion 20k and I absolutely love it.

I had the Curt 16k. I despised it every single time I had to unhitch.