cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Billowing Roof!

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
On the way home from our camping trip I noticed 3 different trailers going down the road with their roofs full of air! These were newer rigs too...If there was some way to let them know I would have.

I wonder how many of us tow our rigs oblivious to whats happening on the roof!
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.
19 REPLIES 19

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
You don't have to have loose edges - just a loose center area.
As you drive, the air moving over the top of the roof is moving faster than the air under it. The faster moving air has a lower pressure than the air underneath.
The result is "lift" and exactly how an airplance flies.

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
The ones I saw were just like a big ballon about 1 to 2 feet above the RV roof. No loose edges...
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
were the edges actually loose or was it just a "bubble" caused by vacuum on a rubber/tpo roof?
bumpy

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
Saw this on a very expensive looking diesel pusher near Portland. Thought maybe cheaper trailers but apparently anything.

keymastr
Explorer
Explorer
All of us tow oblivious to what's happening on our roofs. Never had one I could see from inside the truck.

A couple years ago I saw lots of the billowing roofs but have not noticed one recently. I would like to have someone follow me down the freeway and see if mine does it. Not sure it makes a difference though, only way to fix it is to replace it and glue it down correctly.