cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Boondocking and oral hygiene

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Love my elec toothbrush but when boondocking it takes way to long to re-charge. Can't be running generator all day long and most of night to re-charge. Any ideas? Back of charger says...110-130V 50-60hz/1.3W "personal hygiene appliance" Takes me longer to re-charge elec toothbrush than RV batteries. ANY ideas??? How do others do it?
Would hate to really rough it and go back to manual brush.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"
37 REPLIES 37

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
I have a genetic problem that makes my teeth weak. I find the sonicare helps a lot with my already-high dental bills. I don't appreciate the superior attitude of people who don't need one.

I'm psyched to hear there is a battery version! And I am also wondering if there is something wrong with the OP's charging situation. Do those inductive chargers just take forever? I have never timed mine. If so, is there a non-inductive charger available?
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Sillybugs2
Explorer
Explorer
Ours last several days on a charge. We recharge while runny the Benny to charge the batteries no big deal. Or use a manual while camping.
2016 Hideout 28BHSWE
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT 6.7L diesel 6 speed auto SRW longbed

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
Find a sweet gum tree. Break off a smallest end of branch. Chew it a bit to form a brush and brush your teeth with t a baking soda, if you have the baking soda. If the Yanques had all followed the hygene of the Natives they wouldn't have lost all their teeth especially in places like Michigan farm country. Put the two dollars you save into a piggy bank. By the time you reach 100 you will have enough for good ice cream store. ๐Ÿ™‚

PRodacy
Explorer
Explorer
I wish my biggest problem was how to charge a toothbrush.

By the way, did you know that the tooth brush was invented in Alabama? If it was invented anywhere else, it would have been called a teeth brush. (Hee, hee - a joke, my friends.)
2012 GMC 3500 dually 4x4
2006 OKanagan 90W
2003 Jeep Rubicon, modified for off road performance

freewheel510
Explorer
Explorer
I'm shocked at the "use a manual, you're camping" responses. C'mon, if we're not sleeping on the ground in a leaf bed, we are well down the slippery slope of using technology to enhance comfort. The OP asked for solutions, and those answers are nonresponsive.

I'm sure the dentist's answer is accurate, that if you do a good job with a manual, it works fine. But we have the technology: using an inverter or getting a AA powered brush are great suggestions. I'm going to look at the AA powered brushes.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use an electric toothbrush and electric razor all the time when boondocking. Our comfort level when boondocking is close to what it is when we are at home in our stick house ... except for short showers and use of paper plates/bowls/cups.

I charge the toothbrush, the shaver, the iPad, and the cell phones from our coach batteries with them plugged into a small inverter that is plugged into a 12 volt receptacle in the motorhome. There is no need to run the generator just for charging small items ... use it only to periodically charge the big coach batteries.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
abc40kids wrote:
Never thought of brushing my teeth with a regular toothbrush to be that big of a deal.

Things that make you go Hmmmmmmmm.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a $10 oral B with AA batteries for the RV. Then another one for home. Threw my rechargeable toothbrush away. I use rechargeable NMH batteries and they last a month! The oral B brushes often cost more than the whole machine when on sale, so I keep a spare or two.

I once had a Braun Waterpik water stream "flossed" that was very effective. But the cost is prohibitive so I never bought another one.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

Sailordive
Explorer
Explorer
I also enjoy sailing. Not only do we use regular brush but the racers cut the handle off to save weight.
2013 Sportsmobile Sprinter

sowego
Explorer
Explorer
Buy a battery operated tooth brush and you'll never have to worry about that again.
2002 Tiffin Phaeton
2005 Malibu Maxx toad

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I just drop both plates in a cup, add water and an Efferdent tablet, and they're all clean the next morning. ๐Ÿ™‚
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
Nutinelse2do wrote:
Hi all. Still working Dental Hygienist here.
What the doc said about Soft Piks is dead on. Value pack at Costco for $10 for 240 of them and they come with 3 great little cases. But sorry doctor, I must disagree that a manual is as good as an electric. Haven't heard a Dentist in the last 10-15 not recommend an electric. The Oral B which was already stated, stays charged for at least 1-2 weeks does a much better job. I have never seen a hand that can rotate 8000 rpms. Between that and a water pick, pretty much arrested my hubbys periodontal problems. And no, I am not a spokesperson for Oral B or Butler.
If your electric dies while boondocking, best to have a Oral B battery brush for backup. You can grab one for $10-15 at any store.
Periodontal disease is linked to heart disease, stoke, and diabetes. There have been many articles over the years in Time, Newsweek, etc because of the direct health link with periodontal pathogens.
One note to all those who are edentulous, please see your dentist at least once a year for an oral cancer screening!

Total agreement here. As someone who has been in the dental industry for years I can tell you that a good electric will make you feel like you didn't brush at all when you have to go back to a manual. Yes they are that much better. A good quality Braun or Oral B will hold a charge for 2 people about 10 days. You can also buy a second handle for backup on longer trips.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm with the dentist. Oral B 40, Glide floss, plastic picks. Something I can do in a few minutes, even while watching TV.

Have had a couple electric brushes, they were the fad gift when they came onto the market about 50 years ago, and each marketing innovation brings them back. I never cared for power brushing, first ones rattled my sinuses and tore up my gums, dentist said they were accelerating wear on the teeth and not doing that good a job cleaning teeth, tongue and inside of mouth.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Too much, wayyy too much. :B

I've been using a manual brush for my entire life, still have all my own teeth and healthy gums.

True story;
Took my 10 year old grandson camping last year. He forgot his electric brush. I handed him a new manual toothbrush because we always keep some spares. Honest injun, he had no clue how to use a manual toothbrush. He had never used anything but electric.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900