cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Burning Rubber Smell after towing Ford Edge

strudeau
Explorer
Explorer
I've noticed a burning rubber smell on my 2012 Ford Edge, that is evident only after I unhook from the Coach and then drive the car for 10-15 miles. It smells like a burnt belt. Car runs fine and I've had it into the Ford dealer with zero results. The weird thing is it only happens on the first drive after I unhook, and then never happens again on subsequent drives. The tires are all fine and no sign of unusual wear. Got me stumped!
Scott
2019 American Coach Dream 45 A , Allison 4000, Freightliner Chassis

2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch, Toad, Air Force One Supplemental Braking
Retired LEO
9 REPLIES 9

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
Follow the instructions in your toad's owners manual. Put your vent on recirculate when it is being towed. That shuts down the ventilation system. It will help cut down on some of the smell getting into your ventilation system. At least that is what my Ford's manual says to do.
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

CJ5_jeeper
Explorer
Explorer
The air intake for our motorhome is in the rear on the left side, and the last time I checked it I could not believe how much rubber dust was in it. From now on it will be checked more often. I now have a spare filter, so I will not have to go find one on a long trip.

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you folks for talking about this because it also happens to our Edge after towing. Now we know why. Thanks.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

strudeau
Explorer
Explorer
Makes sense. Thanks for the replies.
Scott
2019 American Coach Dream 45 A , Allison 4000, Freightliner Chassis

2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch, Toad, Air Force One Supplemental Braking
Retired LEO

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
First time we towed our 2001 Wrangler that smell scared the heck out of us. Searched this forum and found out it is normal. It is accumulated oil, tire dust, etc. on the exhaust system. When driving a car this is constantly burned off.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
Happens all the time! Nothing to worry about ,just a bit of Road Rubber that clings to Your Tail Pipe then burns off when You run the Car.
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

Nick-B
Explorer
Explorer
Cottontop wrote:
It is usually caused from towing and rubber from the road is thrown onto the exhaust pipe and when it gets hot you smell it.

^^^^ THIS ^^^^

Completely normal.
Nick
1995 Coachmen Santara MB360 w/slide
F53/460 chassis w/tag

Cottontop
Explorer
Explorer
It is usually caused from towing and rubber from the road is thrown onto the exhaust pipe and when it gets hot you smell it.
1998 Beaver Patriot (Magnum)
FMCA- Good Sam - CAT (3126)
PT Cruiser AUTO with Remco 4down

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Funny you should mention this......although this is the first time Ive noticed it after towing and it happens on a Saturn SC2 also. I mean Ive towed it many miles with no rubber smell at all but this last time, it was very noticeable.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)