cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cable Pullys on Slide-Outs

salem
Explorer
Explorer
There's a new Montana here in the CG that has the new cable pulls instead of the hydrolic systems on the slideouts. Supposed to be the new up and coming technology. I haven't spoken directly to the owner, but his neighbor was telling me he was pretty impressed with the system so far. Have any of you had any dealings with it, or heard anything one way or the other about it? Thanks
8 REPLIES 8

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't know about it being a new, up and coming thing. Some manufacturers were using motor driven cable slideout mechanisms in the late '90s, because I was seeing them on used RVs of that era when I was shopping in 2004. They also used motor driven rack and pinion, and motor driven screw jack mechanisms in that era, and likely still do.

Hydraulic rams were initially used on heavier slideouts, a category which would include the first used on motorhomes by Newmar.

I was seeing cable pull on slideouts that were small enough to be hand-cranked, but not small enough or light enough to be simply pushed by hand. RV industry experience with cable systems goes back to moving the roofs of pop-up campers, where the technology is still widely used.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Raymon
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2 slides in a 2008 class A with the Accu-Slide cable system manufactured by BAL RV Products Group . I have had nothing but trouble with both of these slides. I can almost fix, repair or make anything whether mechanical or electrical. I must admit, I met my match replacing cables on my slides; to replace them is a nightmare. There is absolutely NO access to the cable pulleys. There are 8 cables on each slide, one on each top and bottom corners, 4 to pull the slide out and 4 to retract the slide.

The other problem is that most RV repair facilities do NOT have technicians that are knowledgeable in this particular slide mechanism; that is the reason I have replaced cables in my slides myself. I even called 2 or 3 mobile RV mechanics; all of them refused to work on my slides. BAL has a website with a very good video, but the main problem is the very limited access to the cables and pulleys. Also, a gentleman named Tim Bell at BAL is very helpful, but he can only do so much when providing help over the phone.

When I bought my class A, unfortunately I guess I did not do my due diligence because I was not aware it had the BAL system.. I had never heard of Accu-Slide. Never again would I buy any RV with this nightmare of a slide system.

That is my story and I am sicking to it.

Ray

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
the rubber guides are easy to eat through when the cables get out of alignment. one guy told me it ate down about two inches before they caught it. one other guy said to buy a replacement cable as soon as you can since they have to be replaced every now and then and that they were easy to replace. and yes they are the up and coming new thing. they are used to reduce weight in the TT with slides.

Mr__Black
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Heartland with a BAL Accuslide on the bedroom slideout.

My jury is still out on that slide. It's never had any problems going in or out but it has snapped off a few screws.

Also have non stop problems with the side seals not laying the way they should at the end of their travel.
Steve

2006 Ford F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 LB, Bone Stock. B&W Turnover / Companion. Airlift Airbags 57291. Leveling Kit. RS9000 Shocks.

2012 Heartland Sundance 3100RB 5th wheel. 36' @ 12k pounds.

camr
Explorer
Explorer
We also have an Open Range with the BAL Accuslide system. Once the system is properly aligned, they are wonderful. We had one cable that required alignment when new, and since then no problem. Check for any sign of cable wear in the first two inches of cable where it attaches to the outside of the slide. This is where it will rub when the coach is in motion and the slides are closed.
Cam, Heather and Mallory Aussie (Austalian Shepherd)
2011 F-250 PSD, traded on-
2014 RAM 3500 DRW
Curt 24K hitch
2015 Mobile Suites RSB3
2015 Eagle Cap 960 camper

salem
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to you both. Now, if I can strike up a conversation with this guy tomorrow I'll impress him with my knowledge.:)

PegLW
Explorer
Explorer
We have three large cable slides on our 2012 Open Range 345RLS and love them. We've had our trailer for over two years and traveled 19,000 miles with lots of moving the slides in and out with no problems -- zero issues! Yes, we do check them (it's called preventative maintenance and is recommended for everything on an RV) to make sure the correct tension is on the cables and adjust if needed but that's very easy and done inside the trailer. We've never had a water leak and we've been in some very heavy rains. (10 inches in 24 hours this spring!)

There are going to be people on here tell you they're a bad idea, they don't work, they break, they don't like them, etc. but those will be the folks who don't have them and therefore don't know what they're talking about. ๐Ÿ˜‰ We wouldn't want another kind of slide now that we've had the cable slides. Ours are the Bal Accu-slide.

BAL Accuslides

Edited to add: If as the previous poster stated the cables stretched -- they are easily and cheaply replaced. You can get a set of replacement cables for $25. from Amazon and the installation is a quick and easy job. Certainly easier and cheaper than replacing electric motors or hydraulic systems. We have friends who had a huge oil leak under their bed from their hydraulic slide out. Yuk!

Peg
Dave and Peggy
2012 Open Range 345RLS
2015 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L turbo

JEBar
Explorer
Explorer
we have friends who have had a 5er with cable slides for about three years .... at first they were very happy with it but as time has passed problems have surfaced .... stretched cables have to be adjusted to ensure the slides work and to help prevent water leaks .... from listening to them, I tend to believe that the key word for going to such a system would be cheaper .... not better

Jim
'07 Freightliner Sportchassis
'06 SunnyBrook 34BWKS