cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camping Near Helen GA

jsteinbauer
Explorer
Explorer
I am leading a Special Military Active and Retired Club (SMART) www.smartrving.org/caravans/html caravan thru Helen GA next Sept/Oct and am considering staying at either Leisure Acres or Yonah Mountain Campgrounds. We will have 20 RVs..about 5 40-43' Class A's and also some 37' Fifth Wheels and others in between. I would like to get some feedback regarding these two campgrounds by anyone who has stayed there. Reviews seem to be all over the place. I've looked at others but due to the number of RVs and time during Octoberfest in Helen, choices are limited. Would appreciate any feedback..thanks
6 REPLIES 6

nremtp143
Explorer
Explorer
Good to hear. Also in that are is Unicoi State Park. Pretty nice there too.
Happy camping and safe travels!
Monty
2016 Montana 3790RD, Legacy Edition, G614s, TST TPMS
2008 Thor Vortex 26FS
2013 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4, Edge CTS, B&W Companion, Viair 10007 Air System, Firestone Air Bags
2001 Excursion Limited 7.3L 4x4, V/B Springs
2001 Silverado 3500 DRW CCLB 8.1L/Allison 4x4

Chevyman2006
Explorer
Explorer
jsteinbauer wrote:
I think my problem has been solved! I contacted Horseshoe Trails Resort and it is a winner. I overlooked it before because it is listed as a private resort...but they do take groups and they have openings..thanks for the tip!

Good deal!! You'll love it!!

We've been members there for 5 years. Actually in the process of purchasing a lot in permanent area for camping as much as we want. HST memberships only allow for 14 days/month. Now, we'll be able to spend all the time we want there.

I guess you don't need the "drive through" of Leisure Acres? Did you talk to David, Dawn, or Cathy?
2006 Chevrolet 2500HD 4wd CC/SB Duramax/ Allison
2009 Keystone Copper Canyon 298fwbhs
Wife and two BEAUTIFUL girls!!

Nights camped in 2010: 64
Nights camped in 2011: 58
Nights camped in 2012: 75

jsteinbauer
Explorer
Explorer
I think my problem has been solved! I contacted Horseshoe Trails Resort and it is a winner. I overlooked it before because it is listed as a private resort...but they do take groups and they have openings..thanks for the tip!

jsteinbauer
Explorer
Explorer
Roy,
Thanks for the tips. Our caravan is starting in Helen/Cleveland and we can stay at either Leisure Acres or Yonah Mountain Campgrounds. There are no military Famcamps in the area so we will be staying at a private one. This will be the first stop of a 36 day caravan staying at seven RV parks in Cherokee NC, Bristol TN, Asheville NC, Galax VA, Verona VA and finally Luray VA..and Helen/Cleveland is the only area I'm having a little problem deciding where to stay since the reviews are all over the place and I can't locate anyone who has stayed at either one recently. We've got some big rigs on our caravan and some reviews, contrary to what the park managers are saying, state the sites won't accomodiate big rigs.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since you guys are quasi-military you might check with the local military bases in the area and see if they have a Military campgrounds and recreational facilities in that area. Alot of them have such things military folks can use.

I know MARTIN LAKE in ALABAMA has a hugh place there for MWR use.

I imagine Helen GA will fall into the same category as Gatlingburg TN on finding enough camping space during the prime camping seasons.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Chevyman2006
Explorer
Explorer
jsteinbauer wrote:
I am leading a Special Military Active and Retired Club (SMART) www.smartrving.org/caravans/html caravan thru Helen GA next Sept/Oct and am considering staying at either Leisure Acres or Yonah Mountain Campgrounds. We will have 20 RVs..about 5 40-43' Class A's and also some 37' Fifth Wheels and others in between. I would like to get some feedback regarding these two campgrounds by anyone who has stayed there. Reviews seem to be all over the place. I've looked at others but due to the number of RVs and time during Octoberfest in Helen, choices are limited. Would appreciate any feedback..thanks

Leisure Acres is about 2 miles from our house. I've never stayed there, but been there a few times for fireworks, etc. It's pretty nice, gravel roads can keep things dusty. The campers can very...there's some long term campers, and at times their sites don't look the best.

Yonah Mountain...I don't know much about. I know location is going to be more convenient to Helen though. Personally...I HATE Helen, especially during Octoberfest. Best bet is to park outside of town and walk in. If you get stuck in traffic...you'll LITERALLY be sitting traffic for HOURS!!

We have a place in Mountain Lakes, between Cleveland and Helen. You might call Horseshoe Trails and Timber Ridge (campgrounds within Mountain Lakes) and see if they have any outside camper options. They're both deeded campgrounds...but I don't know about groups, etc.
2006 Chevrolet 2500HD 4wd CC/SB Duramax/ Allison
2009 Keystone Copper Canyon 298fwbhs
Wife and two BEAUTIFUL girls!!

Nights camped in 2010: 64
Nights camped in 2011: 58
Nights camped in 2012: 75