cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I wait a week to winterize

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
Ok it’s supposed to hit maybe 32 at night for a couple nights but back up in the 40s during the day
My coach IS inside my polebarn and I doubt it will get below the outside temp but ???
We want to use it a couple more times so I really don’t want to winterize just yet
Then we leave with it for the south
2013 Winnebago Sunstar 26HE
24 REPLIES 24

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Water is not going to suddenly freeze at 32 degrees. And not even in the high 20's until the water has time to cool down from what ever the daytime temps are. If the temp is not more than 3-4 degrees below freezing and longer than 3-4 hours, it will not cold soak your RV enough to drop the temperature low enough to freeze your water lines.

Since you plan to use it a few more times, just keep a close watch on the weather and be prepared to winterize on short notice if the forecast is for much lower temps.

tropical_ron
Explorer
Explorer
We always winterize and put water in fresh water tank once we get past DC, heading south in January. Bottled water till then works for us. If forecast is favorable before we leave, we will put water in fresh tank before heading out. Pay attention to weather before heading out. Enjoy.
2007 National Tropical T370 LX CAT-350
2010 Honda CRV awd
Blue Ox Baseplate
SMI aux. brake

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
If the camper is parked inside and only 32 degrees, you are probably OK. But if you have doubts, blow the lines and skip the antifreeze. That way you can get the water out of the lines for a "just in case". But you don't have to flush lines when you use the camper again in a couple weeks. I think that's what I'd do, even parked outside.

P-Traps? add some pink stuff just to be safe. But personally, I don't think you have anything to worry about (yet).

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
You'll be fine. You're only looking at 2-4 hours for the low which will be right at maybe freezing and that is for the outside air. With your trailer in your pole barn, there is a bit of insulation from the low so very doubtful it will even get to freezing temps inside the barn but if it did, again, only a few hours max at 32. If you're still concerned, do as suggested and set your thermostat at its lowest setting to have the heat come on.

You need to be more concerned when there is a hard freeze.
I love me some land yachting

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you have to ask. Play safe. Better to winterize a week early.. than late.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

PghBob
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with winterizing now. You can still use your RV if winterized. Take bottled water for drinking and cooking. Use RV antifreeze to flush the toilet. You can dump the black and gray tanks as usual as long as the valves don't freeze.

I just finished winterizing our Class C yesterday and will be using it in warmer weather in a couple of weeks. Winterized it will stay until next Spring.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
32 for a few hrs won't freeze the pipes.

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
If it were me, I'd drain the hot water heater and fresh water tank, I'd blow the water out of the lines, and drop some anti-freeze down the drains. Better safe than sorry and it should only take 5 - 10 minutes to blow out the water.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
How will that keep lower pipes from freezing ?? Is it ok to run itbinside my barn
2013 Winnebago Sunstar 26HE

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
Turn your heat on, set at 40. You likely use little propane and this will keep your basement from freezing temps keeping your pipes and such ok.
2010 Suncruiser